• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

UberEATS is coming to Canberra

Jack Malarkey

In a newsletter sent by email to Canberra drivers on Friday 2 June 2017, Megan of Uber Canberra advised:

UberEATS is coming to Canberra

UberEATS is an exciting new way to earn money with Uber, and all existing uberX driver-partners are automatically eligible to deliver with UberEATS! All you have to do is visit the Greenlight Hub (134-136 Gladstone St, Fyshwick) to register and collect your delivery bag.

Registering for UberEATS means you’ll be able to deliver food in addition to driving people with uberX. This is an opportunity for you to receive more trips and earn more with Uber.

Don’t miss out on this great opportunity, come see us during opening hours and to get ready for the launch of UberEATS in Canberra.

Connek

I don't understand how uberEATS will make drivers money. If we are complaining about cheap fares then eats is even more of a scam. In Canada (I'm Canadian) users paid 3.50/delivery. How can drivers survive?

Skyring

Author
I'm dubious. I can see this being a hit and a money-spinner at peak eating times, but parking could be a problem. Most restaurants are in busy areas. Braddon and Civic, for example. Braddon can be extremely difficult to find a free park, and unless the restaurants set aside a parking space - which most likely would be chewed up by someone other than Uber - either you'd have to pay or they'd have to send someone out to hand over the tucker.

On the delivery end, could be tricky as well, if the diners are in some medium or high-density housing.

Jack Malarkey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In other Australian cities, UberEATS now includes food deliveries from McDonalds.

It will be interesting to see whether a similar arrangement applies in Canberra. McDonalds would be a good fit for UberEATS drivers in Canberra given that the Canberra McDonalds typically have good and free parking.

The relevant rate for the UberEATS deliveries varies significantly from Australian city to Australian city. We don't yet know what the Canberra rates will be.

Here are the rates for other Australian cities:

Perth
  • Pick-up fee is $5.80
  • Drop-off fee is $2.70
  • Fee per kilometre on the delivery distance is $0.90
Melbourne
  • Pick-up fee is $5.45
  • Drop-off fee is $2.85
  • Fee per kilometre on the delivery distance is $1.50
Sydney
  • Pick-up fee is $5.50
  • Drop-off fee is $3.50
  • Fee per kilometre on the delivery distance is $2.20
Brisbane
  • Pick-up fee is $6.10
  • Drop-off fee is $2.90
  • Fee per kilometre on the delivery distance is $0.90
(rates copied from a post by Hugh G from this Brisbane thread: https://uberpeople.net/threads/uber-eats-mcdonalds-a-flop.178359/#post-2674172)

Last edited:

Jack Malarkey

IMG_0163.PNG
My app advises of a promotion of $5 extra per trip on Monday 10 July from 7.00 am to 11.30 pm for UberEATS deliveries.

Uber sent the following email to Canberra drivers on Friday 7 July at 4.41 pm:

Canberra, your UberEATS is here!
Hi Jack,

We are excited to announce that UberEATS is launching in Canberra on Monday 10th July! Read on for all the information you'll need to be ready to start delivering on Monday.

Bag Collection

To make the bag collection as easy as possible, we have extended Greenlight Hub hours on Sunday the 9th July. Head into the Hub at 134-136 Gladstone Street Fyshwick between 10am and 4pm this Sunday to collect your insulated bag. If you can't make it on Sunday you can collect your bag during the week, but you may experience long wait times.

We will also be running UberEATS presentations every hour between 10:30am and 3:30pm on Sunday, to help you get the most out of your deliveries.

Incentives

In addition to regular fares you can earn an extra $5 per UberEATS delivery.

Requirements:
  • For UberEATS deliveries only
You can find more information about the UberEATS fees in Canberra, and how much you can expect to earn on the Uber Newsroom page.

UBEREATS FEES

Delivery Zone

The area in purple shows where you can deliver in Canberra.

Launch Week Tips

• Place all orders in the insulated delivery bag to help maintain the temperature of food during delivery.
  • Check the special pickup instructions to help you find the restaurant, and the best place to park. If specific restaurant parking is unavailable, find an alternative place but remember to park in a safe and legal location.
  • Be friendly and respectful to restaurant staff to help make their job easier and your delivery quicker.
  • If you can't find the consumer you can contact them through Contact section of the app.
  • If you can't get into contact with the consumer after 5 minutes you can call UberEATS hotline on 1800 861 723 for further instructions.

LEARN MORE

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I can't find parking?
If no safe parking is available you can contact the restaurant using the app. We do not recommend parking in an unsafe location.

How do I get UberEATS deliveries?
Introducing Driver Agency - an in-app feature that gives you the ability to select which trip types you'd like to receive. Feel like only delivering on UberEATS? Perhaps you want to do UberX as well? Now you have more choice on the road!

Requirements: Driver Agency is available for UberEATS delivery-partners who are also active on either UberX, UberXL and/or UberSELECT.

How does Driver Agency work?
  1. When offline in the Uber Driver app, tap the 'Account' tab.
  2. Tap 'Vehicle Options'.
  3. Toggle on (or off) the trips types you'd like to receive. Please note that 'Deliveries' refers to UberEATS trips.
  4. Go offline and back online for the changes to take effect.

What do I do if I can't find the consumer?
You can try contacting the consumer through the app. If they are not home you can leave the food in a safe location and leave a note through the app. If you have any issues you can always contact Uber on 1800 861 723.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to request a call!

REQUEST A CALL

Last edited:

Jack Malarkey

Here are the rates for UberEATS in Canberra (https://newsroom.uber.com/australia/canberra-ubereats-delivery-fee/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Canberra+Soft+Launch+Commes&utm_source=ET):

Canberra UberEATS Delivery Fee

July 4, 2017Posted by UberEATS

The UberEATS delivery fee is calculated using a drop-off fee, pick-up fee, and a fee per kilometre for the distance travelled to drop-off from pick-up. The Uber Service Fee applies to the delivery fee:

Pick up $3.20
Drop off $2.00
Per Km $0.90
Service Fee 5%

Please note, it is possible to drop-off multiple orders from the same restaurant. This means you will receive the following:

• A single pick-up fee;
  • Delivery distance amount calculated based on total kilometres travelled to deliver the orders from the restaurant to the final drop off address; an
  • A drop-off fee for each order delivered.
EXAMPLE
It’s 6:00pm on a busy Friday night. You go online from 6:00pm – 7:00pm (1 hour) in a busy restaurant area. During this time you complete 2 deliveries.

Delivery One
For the first delivery, you travel 4km. This trip would be $3.20 for the pick up, $2.00 for the drop off and $3.60 ($0.90 x 4km) for the distance travelled giving a total of $8.80.

The service fee is 5% so you would receive $8.36 for this delivery.

Delivery Two
For the second delivery, you travel 5km and at the same time pick up and deliver two separate orders from the same restaurant to two separate consumers who live near each other.

This trip would be $3.20 for the pick up, $4.00 for the two drop offs ($2.00 x 2) and $4.50 for the distance travelled ($0.90 x 5km) giving a total of $11.70.

The service fee is 5% so you would receive $11.12 for this delivery.

You would receive $19.48 in total, after the service fee.

Uber reserves the right to amend delivery fees and delivery fee calculations in accordance with the terms of the Technology Services Agreement.

Jack Malarkey

Compare the UberEATS rates for Canberra as advised in the previous post with the rates for Perth, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane as advised in an earlier post in this thread.

The Canberra rates in aggregate are significantly lower than in all those other cities.

Take the two examples in the Uber email quoted in the post immediately above.

In Delivery One, Canberra comes in last, after application of the service fee, at $8.36. Then Perth comes in at $11.49; Brisbane at $11.97; Melbourne at $13.58; and Sydney at $16.91.

In Delivery Two, Canberra once again comes in last at $11.12. Then Perth comes in at $14.91; Brisbane at $15.58; Melbourne at $17.72; and Sydney at $22.32.

The Canberra UberX rates have (at least so far) been generous to drivers compared with all other Australian cities except Sydney. That relative generosity hasn't extended to the UberEATS rates.

Let's hope that the relatively parsimonious rates for UberEATS in Canberra don't presage reductions in the UberX rates of the kind suffered in other Australian cities.

Last edited:

Bampot

Hmmm....I can't see that any trip would be worth it at those rates. If you consider the time it would take...say 5 mins to the pickup, then another 5 picking up, then no matter how far you drive at 90c per kilometre you don't get much...say 5 k's taking 7-8 mins and then another 5 potentially dropping off..that is 3.20 plus 4.50 plus 2.00 = 9.70. Could be quicker...could take longer...but totally not worth it either way. We will find it easier to park and don't have much traffic to worry about, but really!

I have signed on to do this, but unless it is deathly quiet I will not be bothering, those rates are an insult.

Jack Malarkey

Hmmm....I can't see that any trip would be worth it at those rates. If you consider the time it would take...say 5 mins to the pickup, then another 5 picking up, then no matter how far you drive at 90c per kilometre you don't get much...say 5 k's taking 7-8 mins and then another 5 potentially dropping off..that is 3.20 plus 4.50 plus 2.00 = 9.70. Could be quicker...could take longer...but totally not worth it either way. We will find it easier to park and don't have much traffic to worry about, but really!

I have signed on to do this, but unless it is deathly quiet I will not be bothering, those rates are an insult.
For at least this week, there's a promotion bonus of $5 per delivery, which makes the whole proposition more attractive but only while the promotion lasts.

The standard Canberra UberEATS rates are really suitable only for those on bicycles (like the Deliveroo people we see out and about) or on motor scooters.

Last edited:

Jack Malarkey

I was unable to activate UberEATS as per Uber's instructions despite having registered so I called into the Greenlight Hub early this afternoon (Monday 10 July).

I can now advise that the launch hasn't happened yet but is expected later today. Even then, it will be only what they call a 'soft launch'. This means that at first only about 100 people in Canberra will be able to make UberEATS requests via their rider app.

Drivers shouldn't be concerned if they don't receive many, or any, requests at this stage.

The (hard) launch will be in about two weeks' time.

Jack Malarkey

An in-app message now backs up what I was told in person at the Greenlight Hub: 'UberEATS is currently trialling in Canberra to a test audience'.

IMG_0168.PNG

Jack Malarkey

No Tuggeranong, Weston Creek or Gungahlin?

Odd. That's a good chunk of the population excluded.
Correct. At the Greenlight Hub session, they explained that the service is likely to expand to those parts of Canberra but at a later date.

Raider82

I can't find the "Driver Agency" option mentioned in the email, have they also limited the number of drivers that this is available for?

Jack Malarkey

I can't find the "Driver Agency" option mentioned in the email, have they also limited the number of drivers that this is available for?
I think they must have. None of the drivers at Uber lunch today who had registered for UberEATS had access.

When I called in at the Greenlight Hub last Monday to check up on this, they told me I would have access later that day but I still don't have access (like you).

Raider82

I think they must have. None of the drivers at Uber lunch today who had registered for UberEATS had access.

When I called in at the Greenlight Hub last Monday to check up on this, they told me I would have access later that day but I still don't have access (like you).
Thanks Jack.

That's frustrating as they keep emailing and texting me about something it seems I don't have access to.

Jack Malarkey

I have just found out that the UberEATS service fee in Perth is 35% compared with our much lower 5%.

So we do need to take this into account when forming judgment about the UberEATS rates in Canberra.

Jack Malarkey

Uber sent the following email to Canberra drivers at 4.28 pm on Tuesday 18 July 2017:

UberEATS Is Arriving In Canberra!

Hi Jack,

Australia's leading food-delivery platform has made its way to the Capital City. Whether you have been delivering during our trial week, or have not yet completed a trip, there's never been a better time be an UberEATS delivery-partner. There will be buzzing media coverage surrounding the Canberra launch, so take advantage of the hype and jump online to start earning! See the map below for where you can expect to recieve UberEATS trips.

For more information on how to deliver with UberEATS visit the link below.
LEARN MORE

Weekly Incentives

To celebrate the launch of UberEATS Canberra, we are running special launch week incentives to give you the chance to maximise your earnings, whilst providing a world-class experience to customers. You can earn an extra $3 per trip if you complete a delivery within the specified time frame.

Minimum requirements:
  • UberEATS deliveries only
For more information about this weeks incentives head to the promotions hub in-app or click below!

INCENTIVE DETAILS

Refer Your Friends and Family

If that's not enough, you can also receive great cash incentives by referring people to deliver on UberEATS. Once you are activated, you can send your personal invite code to friends and family who are interested in becoming a delivery-partner. Visit the link below to see how you can find and share your invite code.
REFERAL INCENTIVES

Jack Malarkey's additional comment:

I still don't have access to the 'driver agency' function needed to undertake UberEATS deliveries.