• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

UberEats driver shot customer, killed, then flees, turns himself in, now charged with murder

BurgerTiime

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/police-uber-eats-delivery-flees-after-customer-shot-killed-buckhead/wATWshnaWS9x4skr1uUuWL/

Ryan Thornton, 30, of Atlanta, was shot after ordering food via the Uber Eats

He died of injuries after a shooting in Buckhead that police believe involved an Uber Eats driver.

Witnesses told Atlanta police the man ordered food via a smartphone app to be delivered to the 2800 block of Pharr Court South about 11:30 p.m. Saturday, Atlanta police spokeswoman Stephanie Brown said.

As the man, whose name has not been released, walked away from the car with his order, “words may have been exchanged” between him and the delivery driver, Brown said.

After shots were fired, the driver left in a white Volkswagen, police said.

The man was rushed with multiple gunshot wounds to Grady Memorial Hospital, where he died.

No arrests have been made.

A manhunt is now underway for the suspected UberEats driver:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/18/us/uber-eats-driver-sought-in-slaying/index.html

Update; Driver turns himself in:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/02/19/uber-eats-driver-on-the-run-after-a-customer-was-shot-and-killed-police-say/?utm_term=.ab0ba9263344

An Uber Eats driver has been charged with murder in the shooting death of a customer Saturday in Atlanta.

Authorities said Robert Bivines, 36, opened fire on 30-year-old Ryan Thornton late Saturday night in the city’s Buckhead neighborhood. Witnesses told police that after Bivines delivered the customer’s meal, he fired multiple shots, hitting Thornton, and then fled from the scene.

Patterson said that Bivines told him that Thornton was agitated by the time Bivines arrived because the driver had issues finding the location. Patterson said that when Bivines gave Thornton his food order, Thornton “jerked it” away and cursed at the driver. Thornton then reached into his jacket pocket and shouted “I’m going to f— you up,” according to Bivines’s attorney.

Past history:
Before he was accused of killing one of his Uber Eats customers this past weekend, Robert Bivines had been arrested on aggravated assault charges in DeKalb County, according to jail records.
But the nearly decade-old offense wouldn’t have been flagged by Uber’s driver pre-screening process because it only tracks criminal records as far back as seven years, according to the company’s website.

Potential employees are subject to a driving history screening, and, if cleared, undergo a criminal background check in national, state and local databases, according to the Uber website.

The company said Bivines passed a background check and had been with the delivery company for only a week before the deadly shooting.
Full read:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/just-uber-eats-driver-accused-shooting-customer-faces-murder-charge-surrenders/GVkkgbsa1LQTroVUp9GWUN/amp.html

Update: Driver denied bond:
http://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/new-uber-eats-driver-denied-bond-morehouse-grad-killing/UabgG8oPmmlfUOtjEhUnbJ/

Last edited:

SEAL Team 5

How was dinner?

Oh man, it was killer.

Funny thing (really not funny) is that I'm currently watching that show Intervention right now. They're doing a segment called The Triangle. Its an area in the Atlanta suburbs in which heroin is out of control. Atlanta isn't making high marks with me right now.

Last edited:

at-007smartLP

$5 tip & he'd still be breathing so sad cheapness & exploited labor caused this tragedy

wish i had empathy but smart drivers opt out of pool & dont except eats, if someone spits in your face, steals $ from you, & you 5 star them you saying thank you can i have another

stop patronizing companies that use eats to skirt labor laws & pay minimum wage

1 star & unmatch request every ride that grosses less than $10 or you like being exploited

7Miles

I delivered once pizza to prison via Ubereats . Very depressing place. Couldn’t wait to leave, didn’t like the environment at all, very depressing. My next order was from MCD, I shared my feelings with another Ubereats guy and he told me he recently retired after 30 years working there. How people do it ?
Would you work for Ubereats or as a guard in prison with a great retirement plan ?

WebRat

The company says its "goal is to ensure that everyone has a safe and reliable ride."
"That's why Uber prohibits riders and drivers from carrying firearms of any kind in a vehicle while using our app."

Is that the reason?

Chris1973

I wonder if he ordered a $5 pint of ice cream and somehow the bill came out to $40? That's how Steve Harvey say UberEATS works:

Another Uber Driver

I wonder if he ordered a $5 pint of ice cream and somehow the bill came out to $40? That's how Steve Harvey say UberEATS works
That would not surprise me. Fubar pays the drivers garbage to haul passengers, even worse than garbage to schlepp food but jacks up the fees on both. I can not see paying a fifteen dollar delivery charge on top of the cost of a Big Mac, a large fries and a medium Coca-Cola.