• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

UberBlack/SUV dropped in Connecticut - UberPremium

Joel.UberCT

I live in the NW corner, but usually drive the Hartford area. I was quoted $1,680/12 months through Geico Rideshare Commercial. I think the coverage was 100/300, but I do not remember for sure.

I confirmed that I am definitely tagged as X - Premium SUV via the user app.

I'll post back what the response is. I'll probably end up calling the local office to try to get to the bottom of it all. I am sure your right that Black previously locked in to Premium only, but that means there is a way in their system to override it as well.

BurgerTiime

They are completely ruining their brand, destroying the market and creating a pool of unsustainable vehicles. Those rates will not provide a living. This entire "sharing economy" will implode. You're better off not working for Uber at all. You will be just contributing to a downward pitfall.

EcoboostMKS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I live in the NW corner, but usually drive the Hartford area. I was quoted $1,680/12 months through Geico Rideshare Commercial. I think the coverage was 100/300, but I do not remember for sure.

I confirmed that I am definitely tagged as X - Premium SUV via the user app.

I'll post back what the response is. I'll probably end up calling the local office to try to get to the bottom of it all. I am sure your right that Black previously locked in to Premium only, but that means there is a way in their system to override it as well.
Oh you got a rideshare insurance quote. You can't use that with Z plates. Connecticut DOT won't approve you with that kind of insurance. You need actual commercial insurance with at least $1.5 mil in liability. Geico doesn't offer that, you need to go through a commercial insurance broker. Commercial livery insurance will probably run you anywhere from $5k to $10k. Possibly more if you have a bad driving record.

Joel.UberCT

Oh you got a rideshare insurance quote. You can't use that with Z plates. Connecticut DOT won't approve you with that kind of insurance. You need actual commercial insurance with at least $1.5 mil in liability. Geico doesn't offer that, you need to go through a commercial insurance broker. Commercial livery insurance will probably run you anywhere from $5k to $10k. Possibly more if you have a bad driving record.
Interesting. . . Commercial is definitely out for me then. This could be interesting though if they will allow Premium only pings. We shall see.

EcoboostMKS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting. . . Commercial is definitely out for me then. This could be interesting thoughif they will allow Premium only pings. We shall see.
FYI... my email response from uber:

Hi XXXXX,

Thanks for writing back. I hope you're doing well!

Upon checking, your vehicle is classified under BLACK CAR so you should only receive UberPREMIUM trip requests. If in any case you receive an uberX trip request, please let me know and I will look into if further for you.

If you have any future question please do not hesitate to contact us. Otherwise, you can also find the Frequently Asked Questions just by visiting our Help Page.

Stay safe and have a great day!

ctuber

Had a back n forth with an uber CT rep. Commercial accounts have the ability to filter X calls, but thoseof us driving x/xl are considered P2P (peer to peer) accounts with no ability to filter only Premium calls at this time. We will see if that changes (highly doubtful) in the future.

Chuck Morris

I only filled all the information out and have my commercial insurance quote. I didn't actually file anything because I was trying to decide if it would be worth it or not all said and done. This is not a full time gig for me.

I received back another canned response, so I am pushing support to tell me how I can only accept Premium requests.
2 thoughts about commercial plated/ insured vehicle.
1 you can broker and book pick ups out of state like when you get to JFK.
2. You can have other drivers drive for you( haven't had employees for 10 years, not sure if that's a positive, lol)
Food for thought

Simon

Kia, Toyota, and Huydai make it, but Honda does NOT?
Im working to get an exception on my Kia Sorento... Was told I need it to be inspected by a driver event. Cant seem to get a schedule for that though. Email came back with an empty link.

ParksCT

As an uberX - promoted to UberPREMIUM - driver, I wondered what to think about the recent change. (UberBLACK drivers will tell their own story.) What about those of us who find ourselves in premium service for the first time? Would we see any pings? What would the passengers expect? When Uber introduced UberPREMIUM to Connecticut, they showed a man in a suit holding open the rear door of a black Mercedes S Class. My sedan is complimented by many uberX riders, but it’s not a Tier 1 offering.

Now I Uber a few evenings per week after work, and on weekends, typically for a total of around 20 hours and around $250 gross. It’s a few bucks that the taxi industry would probably like to hold onto, but I doubt that my part-time driving will put any full-time Uber or livery drivers out of work.

On Monday through Thursday evenings, I’d been in the habit of just wearing the same suit that I wore to the office, rather than change into casual attire. I guess that I have the man in the suit angle covered, but after this week, I’ll be wearing a suit every day that I drive for Uber, weekends included. I also brought back the iPhone and Android charger cables and bottled water.

Out on the road, I’ve had several instances so far where I failed to successfully distinguish UberPREMIUM pings from uberX as they came in, only to learn of the premium status when I reviewed my earnings later. (I tend to be Pavlov's dog when responding to pings.) Consequently, I give everyone the same service, whether they’re a fellow service industry worker or a woman returning home to Manhattan’s Upper West Side. I did find myself driving up to 15 minutes for a couple of premium pickups, in areas where there were uberX drivers were readily available. Passengers seemed generally appreciative and easy to interact with, as the majority were getting UberPREMIUM service for an uberX price. Some uberX riders even asked whether they’d somehow ordered a more expensive service by mistake.

But does UberPREMIUM pay? (Insert usual caveat about anecdotal evidence.) This week I drove 37 trips over 22 hours and 40 minutes signed in. Six trips, or 16%, were UberPREMIUM. Those six trips totaled 2 hours and six minutes of driving, a distance of 83.76 miles, and paid out $237.34. My usual $250/week passed $500 with UberPREMIUM rides added on. The trip summaries follow. Anyway, perhaps UberPREMIUM has the potential to offset the slowdown in business that we see in some college towns during the summer. Your mileage may vary.

6/14/2016, Milford to New Haven, 0:18:36 duration, 11.4 miles, $33.11 payout
6/17/2016, New Haven to Madison, 0:23:19 duration, 20.25 miles, $52.63 payout
6/17/2016, Ansonia to Milford, 0:20:31 duration, 10.47 miles, $31.87 payout
6/18/2016, Fairfield local, 0:04:03 duration, 0.8 miles, $6.75 payout
6/18/2016, Stamford local, 0:07:39 duration, 2.21 miles, $10.81 payout
6/18/2016, Stamford to Manhattan, 0:52:18 duration, 38.63 miles, $102.17 payout, including $2.54 toll.

JaniceCT

As an uberX - promoted to UberPREMIUM - driver, I wondered what to think about the recent change. (UberBLACK drivers will tell their own story.) What about those of us who find ourselves in premium service for the first time? Would we see any pings? What would the passengers expect? When Uber introduced UberPREMIUM to Connecticut, they showed a man in a suit holding open the rear door of a black Mercedes S Class. My sedan is complimented by many uberX riders, but it’s not a Tier 1 offering.

Now I Uber a few evenings per week after work, and on weekends, typically for a total of around 20 hours and around $250 gross. It’s a few bucks that the taxi industry would probably like to hold onto, but I doubt that my part-time driving will put any full-time Uber or livery drivers out of work.

On Monday through Thursday evenings, I’d been in the habit of just wearing the same suit that I wore to the office, rather than change into casual attire. I guess that I have the man in the suit angle covered, but after this week, I’ll be wearing a suit every day that I drive for Uber, weekends included. I also brought back the iPhone and Android charger cables and bottled water.

Out on the road, I’ve had several instances so far where I failed to successfully distinguish UberPREMIUM pings from uberX as they came in, only to learn of the premium status when I reviewed my earnings later. (I tend to be Pavlov's dog when responding to pings.) Consequently, I give everyone the same service, whether they’re a fellow service industry worker or a woman returning home to Manhattan’s Upper West Side. I did find myself driving up to 15 minutes for a couple of premium pickups, in areas where there were uberX drivers were readily available. Passengers seemed generally appreciative and easy to interact with, as the majority were getting UberPREMIUM service for an uberX price. Some uberX riders even asked whether they’d somehow ordered a more expensive service by mistake.

But does UberPREMIUM pay? (Insert usual caveat about anecdotal evidence.) This week I drove 37 trips over 22 hours and 40 minutes signed in. Six trips, or 16%, were UberPREMIUM. Those six trips totaled 2 hours and six minutes of driving, a distance of 83.76 miles, and paid out $237.34. My usual $250/week passed $500 with UberPREMIUM rides added on. The trip summaries follow. Anyway, perhaps UberPREMIUM has the potential to offset the slowdown in business that we see in some college towns during the summer. Your mileage may vary.

6/14/2016, Milford to New Haven, 0:18:36 duration, 11.4 miles, $33.11 payout
6/17/2016, New Haven to Madison, 0:23:19 duration, 20.25 miles, $52.63 payout
6/17/2016, Ansonia to Milford, 0:20:31 duration, 10.47 miles, $31.87 payout
6/18/2016, Fairfield local, 0:04:03 duration, 0.8 miles, $6.75 payout
6/18/2016, Stamford local, 0:07:39 duration, 2.21 miles, $10.81 payout
6/18/2016, Stamford to Manhattan, 0:52:18 duration, 38.63 miles, $102.17 payout, including $2.54 toll.
sounds great for you. seems like getting magically bumped up to this new premium platform is a big bonus for people like you with eligible vehicles. makes me wonder what uberBlack drivers think of of all this new competition? Unless i'm wrong, the old black drivers had to pay for commercial insurance. now not only do they have more competition, but this new competition doesn't require more insurance.

ctuber

For the first time in a long time I'm actually enjoying driving for Uber again ParksCT with the Premium upgrade. My jaw nearly dropped last week when I dropped a passenger off but didn't realize it was a 2x+ premium surge with a net payout of over $300!! for a 1 hour ride of 30 miles.

It is of course very frustrating to follow that up with a $3.20 min fare for some jackhole who leaves garbage in my car. The two services can not coexist, the premium customer should expect higher level of service with a pristine vehicle which is difficult to provide after dealing with X riders who have no respect for your car.

Squirming Like A Toad

For the first time in a long time I'm actually enjoying driving for Uber again ParksCT with the Premium upgrade. My jaw nearly dropped last week when I dropped a passenger off but didn't realize it was a 2x+ premium surge with a net payout of over $300!! for a 1 hour ride of 30 miles.

It is of course very frustrating to follow that up with a $3.20 min fare for some jackhole who leaves garbage in my car. The two services can not coexist, the premium customer should expect higher level of service with a pristine vehicle which is difficult to provide after dealing with X riders who have no respect for your car.
It all depends on when and where. When I'm on my night shift in Danbury on weeknights, most riders are workers going to and from work. Quick easy fares, no troubles. On the weekends there is a lot more nightclub traffic and that's good too. When biz takes me down to the coast I get a lot longer and more profitable rides, and being they don't have the Black/SUV options anymore it looks like a lot of those drivers have moved out and I'm getting long and profitable rides, with a lot of users choosing XL. Last week I got an XL ride down to NYC with a businessman who just wanted to make sure he had room to work on his laptop.

The new surge map is working out nicely too, time it right and you can make an extra $30-40 per night just on surges. Can't wait for NYE, riders have told me it went up to 9x last year!

JaniceCT

Ive already seen uber premium take away some UberX rides. Ive had some regulars at some corporate places i hang out at. I've spotted some regulars standing there waiting and waiting while staring at their app. I know they're waiting for an uber ride, but for some reason i didn't get any pings. after a few mins. these riders got picked up by luxury cars like audi or BMW. Since premium is cheaper than the old UberBlack, they don't mind now spending a little more for a nice car. I guess i don't blame them. i guess this is a good way to take out the risk of getting a crappy car, like someone showing up with a 10 yr old camry. Looks like uberx drivers will have more rides to taco bell and back