1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber, you get what you pay for

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by stpetej, Mar 13, 2018 at 1:22 AM.

1. mrpjfresh

mrpjfresh Well-Known Member

Asheville, NC
    It's one thing to hear all the horror stories from riders, but it really hits home when you take a ride for yourself and meet some of your "less professional" peers. It is not surprising to us given the rates and current model, but that doesn't make the whole thing any less embarrassing.

I suppose this was always the way it was going to shake out. You take on an actual, legitimate profession and replace the workers with hordes of untrained and ill-equipped "weekend warrior" types who operate outside the established industry regulations. Then you see with how little you can get away with paying them, ask them to use their own cars and you take on as little responsibility as possible for putting so many unqualified drivers on the road. The entire model is a pathetic example of arrogance, dreams of grandeur and good, old-fashioned human greed really. A smart idea, horribly perverted and corrupted in its execution by money and vanity; an all too common tale.
  2. stpetej

stpetej Member

St. Petersburg, FL
    You nailed it.

Yep that's what I probably should have done. Alas, I'm a softie.
    1974toyota likes this.
  3. UberBeamer

UberBeamer Well-Known Member

Agreed. Masterful.
    stpetej likes this.
  4. Over/Uber

Over/Uber Well-Known Member

Vancouver, OR
    stpetej likes this.
  5. stpetej

stpetej Member

St. Petersburg, FL
    I asked him if he drove for Lyft as well and he said he didn't. But men lie to me all the time.
    Uber Crack likes this.
  6. Julescase

Julescase Well-Known Member

Los Angeles

Agreed!! I actually notice that many younger folks seem to give zero ****s about their appearance. Or scent. Or their presentation in general. And based on the myriad of odors I experience in my vehicle while Ubering, I'd say ALL age people are capable of not being clean and fresh. To say it's the older generation is leaving out a lot of the population.

Also, can male drivers please NOT wear sweats and t-shirts with stains on them? If every t-shirt in your closet has a stain on the front, it's time to BUY SOME NEW ONES. When my Uber driver is wearing gym clothes (especially the guys, no offense gentleman!) it automatically make me assume he's a bit smelly. Because, let's face it, those clothes were probably on your floor or even in the hamper before you put them on. Ha ha ha ha.....oh boy. I'm gonna get **** for this comment.

And yes I'm generalizing and I'm sure most of you look terrific and smell clean and delicious, but I've had a few doozy drivers that smelled like they hadn't showered for a couple days, maybe longer.....and after a long day there's not much worse than being stuck in an airtight small space - essentially trapped - and forced to inhale smells you never thought existed outside of the gym.
  7. freddieman

freddieman Well-Known Member

Lyft has a little stricter standards for entry.
  8. UberBeamer

UberBeamer Well-Known Member

Maybe one day I’ll actually break down and take an Uber or Lyft ride for research. I still haven’t had the “pleasure.” Mostly I just want to use all the features in the rider app so I can explain to these dipwad pax how to do simple things like showing their live location, adding a stop or changing their destination.
    Pawtism, Over/Uber and mrpjfresh like this.
  9. JTTwentySeven

JTTwentySeven Well-Known Member

North Jersey
    That's good and I commend you for that. I believe that if you look good, you feel good. In the sense of actually getting dressed and making yourself presentable, not as in attractiveness. Sorry if that offended you, obviously it wasn't meant for all. It's like when people on here bash millennials and I am far from the typical millennial, I just happen to be in that age range. But yeah, I've dealt many many many people throughout my customer service careers where I dealt with the dirtiest and smelliest people, and it was more likely older generation, which classifies for me as 40+, not retirement age and up. Keep up the good work :)
    stpetej likes this.
  10. rideshareMN

rideshareMN Well-Known Member

took a ride from airport last week; had to take Uber because Lyft app wasn't connecting (at airport, no less); my driver was a 4.6, his car was not clean, was very beat down inside and it smelled faintly of puke; I looked at his bio and saw he had been driving for just over 3 months and already had over 1,600 rides! I felt fairly awful for him...he had to be driving a ton every single day to amass that amount of rides in this market
    stpetej and mrpjfresh like this.
  11. Pawtism

Pawtism Moderator Moderator

The Gamma Quadrant
    Really? What's the difference? If anything Lyft seems to have looser requirements (barely, they'll take a bit older car, and are less restrictive on young drivers).

Both require 21 years old. Lyft requires a 2006 car, Uber requires a 2007 car (generally, both have some specific city requirements), both have to have in-state insurance and an in-state drivers license, both have to have at least one year driving history (although Uber is stricter on drivers under 23, requiring 3 year history), both require a background and records check, both require an inspection, both require that you can run the app (obviously). Really not seeing much difference. However, the bit of difference there is, Uber actually seems to be the stricter, better protected one, and it seems like Lyft is the one letting more people in that Uber wouldn't take, not the other way around.

Bottom line though, the grand majority of people who qualify for one, will qualify for the other (unless you're in an older hooptie or are a driver under 23 with only 2 years driving history, then you might qualify for only Lyft).

Lyft Driver Requirements
    • You must be at least 21 years old
    • Car requirement: A 4-door car that is year 2006 or newer. Varies in many cities and states.
    • Complete a vehicle inspection that covers mechanical and cosmetic condition
    • You must have in-state insurance with your name on the policy
    • Must have an in-state US driver’s license and one full year of US driving experience
    • In-state plates with a current registration (commercial plates are acceptable)
    • Pass a background check and a driving record check
    • Own a current smartphone: iPhone 4s or newer running iOS 7+, Android devices running 4.0+
    • Comply with any local regulations in your area

Uber Driver Requirements

These requirements apply to UberX, XL, and Select. If you’d like to apply today, *removed the referral link, as to comply with the rules on the forum* with my referral link. You’ll be eligible for the best bonus in your area, and I may receive a bonus if you sign up using my link.

• You must be at least 21 years old
    • Have access to a 4-door car that is model year 2007 or newer in most cities
      • 2002 or newer: Los Angeles, Orange County, San Francisco
      • 2011 or newer: New York
      • Check help.uber.com for your city’s model year requirement, or type in uber.com/drive/*your-city*
    • In-state auto insurance with your name on the policy
    • In-state driver license
    • Licensed in the US for at least one year, or three years if you’re under 23
    • You must have a social security number
    • In-state plates with current registration (commercial plates are acceptable as well)
    • Pass a background check and a driving record check

I'm going to do this soon too, just because. It would be nice to see things from the other side, and maybe understand why pax do some of the silly things pax do. Maybe there is something I'm not aware of. I record pretty much anywhere I go, so maybe I'll even post it. :)

I'm 43 and I resent that remark!! :eek:

I'm messing with you. :D

While I don't think I completely agree (clearly), I'll state that I do believe it's more a "type of person" more than an age range (perhaps the way they were raised). Some people just weren't raised the same way, and simply don't care what others think. Being that you are in the younger range, you probably tend to hang out more often with people like yourself (who share your values, etc), so your largest exposure to people who aren't like yourself, are going to be, in your case, older people. Likewise, older people, who tend to cluster with people like themselves, their largest exposure to people who aren't like them are going to be younger people (hence the millennial bashing). In reality, there are just as many people who weren't raised right in both groups. :) You could even expand that logic to other classes other than age, such as race, religion, disability, etc.

That's kinda the problem with all stereotypes. To be accurate (as a stereotype, what I mean is, to be widely accepted), it's got to be right at least 50% of the time (if I say that most people over 80 are DJs, no one is going to accept that.. sure there probably are a few, but not frequently enough for people to buy that). However, and this is the crux of it all, even if it is right more than 50% of the time, it's never, ever... EVER, going to be right 100% of the time. Some people treat stereotypes as if they are fact (we all know some of the more unsavory ones, so I won't dishonor myself by repeating them here). Even one like.. "all humans eat food." Which, would normally be considered a very highly likely to be accurate one, there is always a case where it's not true (for example, someone on an all liquid diet through a feeding tube direct to their stomach, that's not eating your food, that's kind of drinking your food, but not even that really).

So stereotypes are definitely something that need to be used (and believed) with a grain (or a shovel full) of salt. ;)