Uber xchange

Redeyedjedi

Uber xchange.obviously not the best deal in the world.Bad credit , no money to borrow.Doing it part time, I work nights, can it work? I live in north county , my car doesn't qualify and I need extra cash (not a lot just extra). Basically I need to make 180 a week to pay for the car. Has anybody done it?

DriverX

if you have a car then why do you need an xchange thats costing you $180 a week? Or are you trying to make $180 ontop of the lease payment? I don't think its advisable. Unless you can drive friday and saturday night. Your going to have to drive a lot of hours during the day to make $400.

Maybe if you live somewhere it surges and you can catch rides from home.

Redeyedjedi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I live in north county san diego , oceanside. There is A LOT of brewery's and marines , so lots of uber. Like I said my car doe's not qualify. I can easily work during surge hours. Because I work during dead hours. So if anybody has done the program , was it able to work for you.

Sharkb8

Uber xchange.obviously not the best deal in the world.Bad credit , no money to borrow.Doing it part time, I work nights, can it work? I live in north county , my car doesn't qualify and I need extra cash (not a lot just extra). Basically I need to make 180 a week to pay for the car. Has anybody done it?
Don't fall into Uber's trap driving X only cars for $180 wk. Most large car dealerships have Special Finance Departments. Give that a try first.
You might get a X, XL, Lyftplus car for $400-450 mo. August has 5 pay periods which means you'd pay 5 x $180. That's $900 for a UberX car in August.

Last edited:

DriverX

I live in north county san diego , oceanside. There is A LOT of brewery's and marines , so lots of uber. Like I said my car doe's not qualify. I can easily work during surge hours. Because I work during dead hours. So if anybody has done the program , was it able to work for you.
Yea work the nights you'll be ok. 20-30 hours online per weekend and you'll get your nut if you work the surge and don't leave yourself online all the time. read the forum here for info on how to surge drive. don't be a grinder, you don't have the time needed to make your nut at $15 an hour. work the night show and aim for $30 an hour.

BBSHO

If you're doing it to make 'extra money", it-wont be easy, its probably only going to cover the cost of the car, most NC surges are short trips. But do Lyft as well and you might be okay. Metro-mile insurance is affordable too. Good luck...although I'd advise against it :wink:

johncarlsbad

Under current conditions, way to many drivers on xchange rentals there is absolutely no way you can make lease payment of $180 per week without working at least 20 to 24 hrs just to cover expenses. You have car payment, insurance, gasoline and taxes to pay. If you want to work up to three days per week just to pay for a car, go for it! Also keep in mind as soon as Uber has enough xchange cars on the road it will be that much easier for them to cut rates and your earnings. Don't become a slave for a Uber xchange car.

LuisEnrikee

I did xchange and had to work 10-20 hours to cover the cost of the car and onto of that the insurance .
I was paying 550$/mo and 180$/mo for insurance .
Not to mention the car , yeah they'll cover your oil changes and tire rotation but when the tires wear off you need to buy a new set , also any other oils needed , etc that falls outside what uber covers is on your ass .

So when you return it you need to return it in the best shape possible so you won't get over charged .
Your car gets keyed ? Sucks to be you . I was lucky the lady taking care of my return was busy and didn't have time to fully check my car.

I then got a Mazda paying 200$/mo and 120$ insurance .
But keep in mind , if you cannot cover the costs of the car without uber .... Just don't do it !

Phatzman

I did xchange and had to work 10-20 hours to cover the cost of the car and onto of that the insurance .
Not to mention the car , yeah they'll cover your oil changes and tire rotation but when the tires wear off you need to buy a new set , also any other oils needed , etc that falls outside what uber covers is on your ass .

So when you return it you need to return it in the best shape possible so you won't get over charged .
Your car gets keyed ? Sucks to be you . I was lucky the lady taking care of my return was busy and didn't have time to fully check my car.

But keep in mind , if you cannot cover the costs of the car without uber .... Just don't do it !
What kind of Mazda did you get? Do you like it? Is it a lease or a purchase? I'm in a position where I need another vehicle ASAP as someone hit me last weekend & car is looking to be a Total loss...

LuisEnrikee

What kind of Mazda did you get? Do you like it? Is it a lease or a purchase? I'm in a position where I need another vehicle ASAP as someone hit me last weekend & car is looking to be a Total loss...
Madza 3, yeah I like it . It was a purchase I got one that was already ran down with warranty . However , it is small. But not to the point that no body fits . I would go for a Mazda 6 next time . But the 3 works just fine . Get around 30mpg and it's a great little car .

Null

What did you estimate your xchange lease had depreciated during your ownership? How much of that did you make in payments and how much did you write off on your taxes?

SlikkRikk

Thinking about going this route. I've researched it heavily and I'd be driving basically every day at least 8 hours a day so I'm pretty sure I can make a living (I've been living off $17/hr [$2,200/mo after taxes] as an IT guy, and driving a beat up 98 Camry, so this might be a step up!).

Is it really just $250 down (and then maybe whatever you have to pay up front for insurance)? I read some article that said there'd be a bunch of fees and a month paid up front in addition to the $250 and it could actually cost $1k-2k and not just $250. Can't find that article right now but I haven't seen actual drivers mention fees or up-front payments.

Null

Thinking about going this route. I've researched it heavily and I'd be driving basically every day at least 8 hours a day so I'm pretty sure I can make a living (I've been living off $17/hr [$2,200/mo after taxes] as an IT guy, and driving a beat up 98 Camry, so this might be a step up!).

Is it really just $250 down (and then maybe whatever you have to pay up front for insurance)? I read some article that said there'd be a bunch of fees and a month paid up front in addition to the $250 and it could actually cost $1k-2k and not just $250. Can't find that article right now but I haven't seen actual drivers mention fees or up-front payments.
There are fixed and variable costs to any vehicle. Think along these times while you're doing your forecasting.

The deposit is only $250. There are NO DIRECT additional costs per month/week other than your lease payments. Insurance, Gas, etc. are ancillary costs separate from the lease.

Find out what your rate will be. My Prius C is $140/wk, but that's the lowest I've come across.

But yeah, you HAVE to drive the snot out of it for it to be worth it. My 1 year old xchange lease has close to 58k on it now.

Kyle111

If you do both Lyft and uber, you'll be fine. However, the xchange lease terms are predatory. People are essentially making payments ranging from 150 to 185/week. That is highway robbery. I would highly advise against getting into an xchange lease, speaking from experience. I would rather buy a used car for 2-3k and use that or just finance a new or used one.

SlikkRikk

There are fixed and variable costs to any vehicle. Think along these times while you're doing your forecasting.

The deposit is only $250. There are NO DIRECT additional costs per month/week other than your lease payments. Insurance, Gas, etc. are ancillary costs separate from the lease.

Find out what your rate will be. My Prius C is $140/wk, but that's the lowest I've come across.

But yeah, you HAVE to drive the snot out of it for it to be worth it. My 1 year old xchange lease has close to 58k on it now.
Thanks! Good to know there shouldn't actually be hundreds more in other fees.

If you do both Lyft and uber, you'll be fine. However, the xchange lease terms are predatory. People are essentially making payments ranging from 150 to 185/week. That is highway robbery. I would highly advise against getting into an xchange lease, speaking from experience. I would rather buy a used car for 2-3k and use that or just finance a new or used one.
Well I've got a little over $1K in savings, a 510 credit score and I just quit my job last Monday. I've gotta get something together quickly or I'm out on my arse back to live with my family in Tampa. I don't really feel like betting my entire $1K savings account on a down payment for a car right now. I could go to a Buy Here Pay Here with $500 down and pay $400/mo, but I'm not guaranteed a job with Uber or Lyft if I do that, right? GOOD THING IS, if this works out, I can save $2K, buy a car, and return the lease, and that's the plan.

Null

Well I've got a little over $1K in savings, a 510 credit score and I just quit my job last Monday. I've gotta get something together quickly or I'm out on my arse back to live with my family in Tampa. I don't really feel like betting my entire $1K savings account on a down payment for a car right now. I could go to a Buy Here Pay Here with $500 down and pay $400/mo, but I'm not guaranteed a job with Uber or Lyft if I do that, right? GOOD THING IS, if this works out, I can save $2K, buy a car, and return the lease, and that's the plan.
Xchange probably won't work out for you long term if your credit is that bad. Uber determines your lease rate in part based on your credit profile so you're probably looking at $210+ /wk. You could go go REAL hard in the paint for 2 months to build up some cash and get something else. The sign up bonuses from both are complete garbage right now.

You're not guaranteed to be an approved driver for either platform regardless of your xchange lease.

The TNC game takes a while to learn and no one ever completely 'figures it out' as its so dynamic. Just look at the posts on the San Diego forum, we get into page long fights over strategy and value. It takes a while to get used to driving for long periods and learn the tricks of the game.

SlikkRikk

You're saying they can approve me for an Xchange Loan, and I can go get a car and pay for it, and they can still say I can't drive for them?

Dat dun't make a whole lotta sense...

Null

You're saying they can approve me for an Xchange Loan, and I can go get a car and pay for it, and they can still say I can't drive for them?

Dat dun't make a whole lotta sense...
It's actually possible. There's no requirement that you drive for Uber to lease from them really. There's also no guarantee you won't be deactivated at some point, etc.