Uber XChange, Full-time?

JimmyDrive

I've read a lot of other posts pertaining to this but the common theme with them is that they have bad credit and don't drive full-time.

I live in LA, my credit is solid (around 760) and I plan on driving full-time. Would the lease Xchange program make sense for me?

I currently make $19/hr managing a restaurant in DTLA and have grown tired of it and want to have a more flexible schedule.

A friend of mine who drives for Uber says that if you hit 75 rides per week; your rate increases. So, if you are to drive full-time consistently, you can make a lot of money doing it. He sent me screen shots of him making over $4,500 in a month's span of one week in June and 3 in July. I was baffled to see how much money he made considering what other posters have shown and the fact he says he only drives 30 hours per week.

Attachments

elelegido

Let me guess, your friend wants you to use his driver code to sign yourself up?

$4500 in 120 hours is $37 per hour net revenue, or $50 per hour gross. That's average - $50 every single hour. No way; not on UberX.

Your friend drives six days per week according to the screenshots. To get that money he's going to be putting in at least 60 hours per week.

Don't quit your job in order to Uber; that'd just be burning your bridges. If you want to try it then get yourself an Xchange car, which only costs $250 up front, and do it part time. Then if you like it and make enough money doing it then reconsider your options.

Old Smokey

I've read a lot of other posts pertaining to this but the common theme with them is that they have bad credit and don't drive full-time.

I live in LA, my credit is solid (around 760) and I plan on driving full-time. Would the lease Xchange program make sense for me?

I currently make $19/hr managing a restaurant in DTLA and have grown tired of it and want to have a more flexible schedule.

A friend of mine who drives for Uber says that if you hit 75 rides per week; your rate increases. So, if you are to drive full-time consistently, you can make a lot of money doing it. He sent me screen shots of him making over $4,500 in a month's span of one week in June and 3 in July. I was baffled to see how much money he made considering what other posters have shown and the fact he says he only drives 30 hours per week.
Unfriend your friend, anyone who is trying to get you into this criminal operation is NOT YOUR FRIEND. Incentives are FUBER WELFARE to keep the peasants from rising up. I will be surprised if they don't disappear by Labor Day.

la-driver1

Did your friend send screenshots to his expensives?

Ant Banks

do the hertz rental program......180 wk incl insurance....you do 75 core trips in a week...car is free for the week..plus it keeps you at platinum status...hurry i think the promo ends soon

Taipan

Don't quit your day job. Try it P/T for a week or so. Driving Uber is not for everybody.

SCdave

With your experience, can you quit and later find a similar job? If so, maybe you need a break from the restaurant business? If not, you're taking a bigger risk. But maybe you're good with this risk?

Do you have a family that depends on you for a stable income?

What are your fixed monthly expenses like?

What Uber Platform are you considering driving on? Uberx or Select or?

Do you have any other friends that drive Uber/Lyft so you can really see what income is like? Or will you rely on buddy that pulls in $4500 per month gross, or net after just gas expense, or net after all expenses?

Whuch gets us to. ..You manage a restautant so you can probably look at a balance sheet and understand net profits. Ask that Uber driving friend to go over how he calculates his net profits?

If you get sick/hurt, you have workers comp & workers disability now. Driving Uber/TNC full-time you have?

You've been reading UberPeople. So you understand $19/hr as an employee and $xx/hr working as an Independent Contractor.

Just some questions to consider.

LA Dispatcher

Maybe gold status is right for you since you can do it in about 20 hours and keep your job. In this case, look into maybe evercar daily rental and do about 30 rides per day on your days off. Xchange is too expensive for part-time.

RacerX

don't quit your job especially if you have benefits. Like others have said find a way to do it part-time to see if you will enjoy it first. It's not for everyone.

the most important thing to understand here is that the Money many are (your friend included) making right now in the LA market is not the norm nor has it been for the past 2 years. on average the earnings for full-timers have been way less like $15 per hour with the exception of some very DISCIPLINED vets who know how to employ certain strategies at certain times. Also some Part timers with a lot of flexibility and the sense to Get after it and hit it hard when certain patterns present themselves also do well. Most all drivers who started driving around the start of 2016 have no clue about how bad it could get once Uber gets rid of the Metals incentives. The thing is No one here knows when/if Uber will get rid of this program but we all know it's not sustainable. At some point they will have to get rid of it. if they don't raise prices at that time than the average earning will be cut in half again. until Uber throws us dogs another incentives bone to keep our tails wagging.

what I'm trying to say is that there is no consistency in the long run with uber. the only thing that has been consistent is that they don't respect their driver partners and they lower prices every year and make the drivers take the hit or they create something like UberPool that earns them more money per ride while the driver takes more risk does more driving and earns less.

so the Real question is Can you tolerate the kind of Job where you get no benefits and there is no consistency with what you will Earn... today if you hustle maybe $25-30 per hour before expenses...but tomorrow Maybe $15 or worse?

sekani

I'm one of those idiots who quit a full-time job as a FedEx driver to do Uber full time. I hated my old job and wanted an out, and Uber provided one.

I'm making noticeably less money now, but the bills are still paid, and I'm actually stressing out less now that I don't have to worry about my schedule as much. Still, I'm under no allusions that this will be a long-term option. I'm currently taking classes in my off time to pursue a new career, something I was either too busy or too tired to do before.

I'd say try it out to make sure you know what you're getting into first. You may be missing that $19 per hour very quickly.

mghtyred

Don't do it. You'll work longer hours for pretty much the same money you're making now. Sure, you can choose your own hours, but you'll choose the hours UBER wants you to drive, because that's when you'll make the most $. You have a good job, keep it, or buck for a promotion. Uber will not set you free.

RedoBeach

Don't forget to factor in taxes, benefits, sick leave and expenses into that "income" your friend provided you. Seems he forgot to do the friend thing and advise you of the realities you need to be aware of when driving this job.. Driving the public 6 days a week is not as "easy" as people presume it to be.

Try it out first before you give up everything else or sign a contract. It's a great supplement, but never meant to be a full time gig... It's too inconsistent. The only consistency has been that Uber cuts rates every year with no warning, and at the driver's expense.

Phill

If you have good credit then buy a car. Xchange Leasing payments are about $400-$500 depending on what type of car you get. Your credit will get you a $17K car (with 3% interest) for $306 a month. Doing the Uber thing is all about keeping your costs as low as possible and Leasing is a higher cost to you.

Attachments