Uber X pings in Select only Mode

Jimmy Bernat

Yesterday I had a weird thing where I was logged in to my UberSelect only profile when an UberX ride came through , I accepted and took the $3 ride real quick , as soon as I dropped her off I checked to make sure and sure enough was logged in on Select Only , I got two more UberX pings that I ignored turned the app off and back on , and get another X ping that I ignore . So I restart my phone , log back in as Select Only and another X I ignore it and then Uber put me in time out for 5 minutes

Has anyone ever had anything like that happen logged in as XL or Select only but getting X pings ??

It seemed to go back to normal after my time out and today has been fine but thought it was weird . I sent a thing to support about it and haven't heard anything back

stuber

In most markets, Uber is forcing higher tier drivers (SELECT, BLACK, SUV) to receive lower tier requests. Just ignore those. If they penalize you or threaten to deactivate you, well...tough. You're better off without that. Taking a SELECT call in a BLACK car is not worthwhile. You will literally be paying people to drive them.

HMMRHD

I find that if you accept every 3rd "bad" request, then cancel it right away, it tricks the system into resetting your cancellation count, thus negating the 5 minute timeout.

R44KDEN

In most markets, Uber is forcing higher tier drivers (SELECT, BLACK, SUV) to receive lower tier requests. Just ignore those. If they penalize you or threaten to deactivate you, well...tough. You're better off without that. Taking a SELECT call in a BLACK car is not worthwhile. You will literally be paying people to drive them.
That isnt true for Denver. We only accept Black calls on our Black accounts. We have another profile set up for Select only, and our requirements for all drivers who work for us is to run UberBlack everywhere. If anyone of us gets a black trip to DIA, we then switch to Select to get a ride out, as UberBlack pings at DIA are as scarce as hens teeth. Uber Colorado have never said to me I have to accept X requests on our black account. If they did, it would be a very short conversation :-)

stuber

Denver is fortunate then. This is a widespread Uber tactic. Honestly the SELECT tier should be abolished. It serves no purpose except to piss off the commercial livery drivers. The SELECT drivers are losing their ass, same as X drivers, just using different numbers. Higher price point to get in, and greater depreciation on the way out. Plus, there's little volume, so you don't even get to have the illusion that you're making money.

stuber

That isnt true for Denver. We only accept Black calls on our Black accounts. We have another profile set up for Select only, and our requirements for all drivers who work for us is to run UberBlack everywhere. If anyone of us gets a black trip to DIA, we then switch to Select to get a ride out, as UberBlack pings at DIA are as scarce as hens teeth. Uber Colorado have never said to me I have to accept X requests on our black account. If they did, it would be a very short conversation :smiles:
The usual tactic is forcing SELECT calls on BLACK or SUV drivers. Complete BS.

R44KDEN

The usual tactic is forcing SELECT calls on BLACK or SUV drivers. Complete BS.
Smart drivers know better - you can now configure your account anyway you wish. We always go into the Uber office and tell them exactly how we want accounts set up. Never had an issue.

I like my name

Denver is fortunate then. This is a widespread Uber tactic. Honestly the SELECT tier should be abolished. It serves no purpose except to piss off the commercial livery drivers. The SELECT drivers are losing their ass, same as X drivers, just using different numbers. Higher price point to get in, and greater depreciation on the way out. Plus, there's little volume, so you don't even get to have the illusion that you're making money.
Us uberselect drivers are making money since shitty uberx customer service is becoming the norm.

Jimmy Bernat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I make great money doing Select you can be smart about your Select vehicle purchase and buy a car that has already depreciated at least 50% and one that will get at least 25 mpg on regular gas. My two cars I have running on Select are a 2015 Passat TSI (averaging 33mpg ubering) and a 2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (averaging 38mpg ubering) both run on regular gasoline . I also bought both of these cars for insanely low prices both cars I could drive for a year put 50k miles on them and sell them for close to what I paid for them and in the case of the Lincoln I could still sell it for a profit . I will say while the Lincoln looks nicer the passat is the more comfortable interior , however the ride is a little smoother in the Lincoln . The Passat rear space is just amazing

I think the UberX pings were an app glitch, I had this happen once before and simple sign out, force close and re sign in fixed the problem

Driving at $2 a mile and .25cents a minute is worth it, I only drop to Uber X during a 2.1x Surge or higher or sometimes at the airport as I don't have the patients to wait for Select Pings (although I do get them semi regularly at DIA) so I drop to Uber X and turn on Lyft when at the airport after a drop off

stuber

I make great money doing Select you can be smart about your Select vehicle purchase and buy a car that has already depreciated at least 50% and one that will get at least 25 mpg on regular gas. My two cars I have running on Select are a 2015 Passat TSI (averaging 33mpg ubering) and a 2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (averaging 38mpg ubering) both run on regular gasoline . I also bought both of these cars for insanely low prices both cars I could drive for a year put 50k miles on them and sell them for close to what I paid for them and in the case of the Lincoln I could still sell it for a profit . I will say while the Lincoln looks nicer the passat is the more comfortable interior , however the ride is a little smoother in the Lincoln . The Passat rear space is just amazing

I think the UberX pings were an app glitch, I had this happen once before and simple sign out, force close and re sign in fixed the problem

Driving at $2 a mile and .25cents a minute is worth it, I only drop to Uber X during a 2.1x Surge or higher or sometimes at the airport as I don't have the patients to wait for Select Pings (although I do get them semi regularly at DIA) so I drop to Uber X and turn on Lyft when at the airport after a drop off
Ok. Point taken. I think you're doing better than many, if not most.

stuber

Smart drivers know better - you can now configure your account anyway you wish. We always go into the Uber office and tell them exactly how we want accounts set up. Never had an issue.
You have that option of choosing how your account is configured. Many markets do not give drivers a say in how their accounts are configured.

Jimmy Bernat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You have that option of choosing how your account is configured. Many markets do not give drivers a say in how their accounts are configured.
Every market should allow this the issue is they try to convenience you it's a bad idea to create a Select or XL only profile . When I went into the Denver office to create Select only profiles they told me how stupid it was that I won't make any money. The best thing about Select Only is that in the morning it's a 90% chance it's going to the Airport ($45 to $60 net ride) and really even at anytime it's at least a 80% Chance of being a $20 net ride as usually people taking select are going at least 10 miles . And even if they aren't a 3 mile trip ends up being a $10 ride , and a minimum 1 mile ride still pays a net of $6.75