Uber X but rider should have requested Uber XL

Rafterc2

I drive an Uber XL. Most of my calls are for an Uber X. At times, I will show up and the rider wants to put 6-8 people in my car. At times I have made them cancel the ride, pay the fee and then relist for an XL. The XL says up to 6 passengers. My car holds 8. Is there any additional liability if I take more that the Uber max of 4 or 6 passengers? How do you handle too many passengers for the car listed?

SEAL Team 5

I drive an Uber XL. Most of my calls are for an Uber X. At times, I will show up and the rider wants to put 6-8 people in my car. At times I have made them cancel the ride, pay the fee and then relist for an XL. The XL says up to 6 passengers. My car holds 8. Is there any additional liability if I take more that the Uber max of 4 or 6 passengers? How do you handle too many passengers for the car listed?
Most state laws are one occupant for each seatbelt. Since Uber and James River hold your cert you need to ask them.

ato72543

You either make them cancel and select XL because they have more than 4, or at the end of the ride you request a fare review and make sure it is XL.
Yeah I hope you have not done this many times before because that would be $$$$ you are missing out on.

NCRBILL

Do the ride as normal and then after, select the ride in the earnings tab & push the help button and select that they had too many riders. Uber will adjust the fare from x to xl
I was wondering just this same issue. It's only happened once but I was new and didn't know what to do. Now I know how to get the true rate.

Ubertuber

It can definitely depend on where you are, though. I live in Providence but drive in Boston. I refuse to drive in Providence anymore because (on top of making 50% more per mile in Mass) the busiest and most profitable area is around Providence College, where hordes of savage PC and JWU students live. I drive UberX and they are constantly trying to shove 5-7 passengers in my car, acting entitled and belligerent when I refuse. In spite of the vast number is college bros that occupy Boston, this is rarely a problem there. Because they're SMAHT.