• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber won't pay my ticket!

RideOrDieUber

I got stopped while driving with uber by Tampa police department, and I received a 500 dollars ticket, and I submitted it to Uber, and they won't pay it. Yes I had 3 riders in the car, so I couldn't talk my way out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

BurgerTiime

Uber is burning through cash and doesn't give a damn about its drivers. You mean nothing to them and are replaceable within a second. Welcome to ridesharing. You knew it's was illegal and its insurance fraud. Get out now or pay the ticket and continue your own battles.

yoyodyne

I got stopped while driving with uber by Tampa police department, and I received a 500 dollars ticket, and I submitted it to Uber, and they won't pay it. Yes I had 3 riders in the car, so I couldn't talk my way out of it. .
I assume you were fined because Uber is still not legal in Tampa, FL?

Last edited by a moderator:

limepro

I assume you were fined because Uber is still not legal in Tampa, FL?
Yeah but a ticket for Uber would have to be a secondary ticket. So speeding, tail lights out, expired registration, something led up to being stopped and ticketed.

yoyodyne

Yeah but a ticket for Uber would have to be a secondary ticket. So speeding, tail lights out, expired registration, something led up to being stopped and ticketed.
Ahh...thanks for the clarification. I've always assumed that a ticket would be the driver's responsibility. Why would Uber pay for a driver's speeding ticket?

RideOrDieUber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They saw 3 passengers in the back seat, front seat was empty, so they knew

SECOTIME

In Orlando its illegal and news stories reported that Uber said they would back their drivers and pay any citations.

I have no idea if that's true.

Uber at your own risk.

limepro

They saw 3 passengers in the back seat, front seat was empty, so they knew
3 passengers in the backseat is perfectly legal, pulling you over for that reason would be illegal. Pulling someone over on suspicion of Uber is illegal, they would have to pull you over for a primary offense first and then give you a secondary offense for ubering.

If they pulled you over, like you were driving down the street and they got behind you and blue lighted you, get a lawyer.

Don't admit anything about Uber, if you go to court don't admit anything Uber related, you were simply driving down the road and were pulled over and ticketed.

If I have a teenage sister and I'm taking her to the mall with 2 friends, where are they going to sit?

EcoboostMKS

This is the risk you take when operating illegally. Don't want to worry about more tickets and if uber will or won't reimburse for future tickets, go about doing this the legit way and get the correct licensing and insurance. Until then, you're subjecting yourself to this happening again and it probably will.

phillipzx3

I got stopped while driving with uber by Tampa police department, and I received a 500 dollars ticket, and I submitted it to Uber, and they won't pay it. Yes I had 3 riders in the car, so I couldn't talk my way out of it.
Taxi companies don't pay a ticket a cab driver incurs. Why would you feel Uber would be any different? You're lucky you weren't in Oregon. You might have gotten your car impounded for not having proper insurance (using you car for livery service without commercial insurance).

Talk your way out of what? Doing something illegal?

when/if Uber says they will pay for citations, they don't actually mean they will pay directly. It's your name on the ticket, not Uber's. You need to pay! Why would Uber ever pay? That's like Uber admitting that they agree with the parameters of the ticket. They might persue any legal remedies to fight the issue, but that doesn't help you in the short term. You need to pay (or contest) immediately, report immediately to Uber, keep Uber updated, and hope that Uber reimburses you one day!

jrboy

phillipzx3 is right. you're on your own out there. drivers should seriously start looking at other options for work. or drive uber at a loss.