1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber will now let you know when you’re being a total jerk to your driver

Discussion in 'News' started by BurgerTiime, Sep 26, 2017.

1. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Uber will now let you know when you’re being a total jerk to your driver
    Behavior modification therapy, via a company that has its share of bad habits

The Verge 9/26/17 by Andrew J. Hawkins@andyjayhawk

[​IMG]

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/26/16366104/uber-driver-rider-feedback-rating-pool

Uber is announcing a few notable changes today, starting with a new feature that allows drivers to offer an additional layer of feedback to unruly riders. Working off the assumption that no one likes IRL confrontation, drivers can now choose from a preselected list of reasons to explain why they rated a passenger as less than five stars. So the next time you take too long getting in the car, or you have a loud phone conversation in the back seat, you’ll be hearing about it from your Uber driver.

The update will ask drivers “what went wrong” if they select a four-star rating or less. They can then choose from a list of reasons: “wait time,” “patience,” “number of riders,” “attitude,” “wanted new route,” or “other.” If a rider gets the same “tag” twice within 30 days, a notification will appear when they open the Uber app to let them know that their behavior is affecting their rating.

According to Uber, drivers often complain that poor rider behavior can be a major cause of stress, especially during UberPool trips. Drivers have always been able to rate riders after the trip, but now they will be able to leave specific feedback that Uber can then surface to riders so they can improve their rating. Whether riders take the criticism to heart or dismiss it as patronizing, though, remains to be seen.

OH, THE IRONY
    The irony, of course, is that Uber is announcing this new feature at a time when its own reputation has suffered from series of damaging, self-inflicted controversies and scandals. A cascading series of reports of a toxic workplace, hostility toward its female employees, secret programs to evade the authorities, and more have served to blunt the startup’s momentum. The company’s new CEO, Dara Khosrowshahi, was forced to publicly apologize for Uber’s many transgressions after London officials declined to renew the company’s license to operate in that city.

These changes are part of the company’s overall “180 days of change” apology tour that it hopes will help shore up its relations to its drivers and riders. (Previous announcements have included a tipping option for drivers and more freedom to decline trips.) Uber sent an email outlining the changes to drivers today, signed by Uber’s general manager for the US and Canada, Rachel Holt, and head of driver experience, Aaron Schildkrout.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2017
  2. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

What? No Pax Badges???

3. heynow321

heynow321 Well-Known Member

i doubt this will have much effect. uber drivers are already slaves in most peoples minds who only exist to serve them.

CarterPeerless, osii, MATT23 and 6 others like this.
  4. MoreTips

MoreTips Well-Known Member

I can see it now, drinking games centered around if you have a "behavior tag" for attitude take a drink. Take a double If you have two in a month.

I hope they have one for "forgot the tip." lol

5. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    My last passenger gets this one from me
    [​IMG]
    Post your passengers badge. Let's see what we can come up with lol

UberDiaz, F213, KenLV and 6 others like this.

6. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

We're having fun with this, but I can just imagine the first time an Uber driver gives some pax 3 stars and lists "Attitude," or "Other," because the pax didn't tip. If a driver does that a few times, it won't be the pax who ends up on the "naughty list."

And, are "wait time" and "patience" equivalent to sexual harassment of the driver, or puking in the back seat? "Wanted new route" -- really? Is that the best they could do?

7. Mikek999

Mikek999 Active Member

Wonder if this update will be reversed after two days and Uber realizes thier customers SUCK!

newbiewpb, Vitamin U, tootsie and 6 others like this.
  8. Lildono

Lildono Active Member

I wish other drivers could see the comments. It sure would help.

john2g1, newbiewpb, stpetej and 9 others like this.
  9. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

It's very simple, they should only be able to rate us within a few minutes of the trip. Anything after that and we're liable to be punished because they're having a bad day, going through a divorce, just got fired, or they woke up after a drunk night of partying and finally see the bill.

But the people at Uber don't have any common sense to put common sense proposals in place.

10. Tr4vis Ka1anick

Tr4vis Ka1anick Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberPREMIUM
    More time wasting behavior which does not make me money.

11. Rakos

Rakos Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    No monkeying around....

7ac868557490a97d135add0204b42e8a6f5980c43e7a6c24bc3a85d03e9a007b.jpg

Tihstae, Ezridax, Cableguynoe and 2 others like this.
  12. ShinyAndChrome

ShinyAndChrome Well-Known Member

So after the rider learns this what stops them from retaliating with a sub 5 rating?

13. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

Delaying the pax notification until multiple similar complaints are made will make it difficult for the pax to identify the driver -- unless you put really specific info in your complaint, like "puked in my car." Unless they're a Platinum Puker, they'll remember which ride that was.

In the rare event that I give less than 5 stars, I'm not going to offer anything further. What's the point?

14. Mikek999

Mikek999 Active Member

Platinum Puker

Not a bronze, not a silver, not even gold... but a Platinum Puker. Well done young 19 year old female from Brooklyn. You have achieved a level of worthiness unsurpassed.

15. MoreTips

MoreTips Well-Known Member

Uber should offer drivers rating protection from pax changing ratings after receiving a paxhole badge. Just more smoke and mirrors for drivers. Besides tipping and the 2 minute cancel fee the whole 180 days of change is a dead horse.

16. ShinyAndChrome

ShinyAndChrome Well-Known Member

they could but then some drivers would just give everyone a paxhole badge.

I am convinced the only way to fix ratings is to include an "ignore bad driver or rider" aspect; if a rider or driver are ha itually giving ratings well below the average their ratings just stop mattering.

17. mrpjfresh

mrpjfresh Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Add a few new options like "messy", "door slamming" and "stinky butt" (you non-wiping pax know who you are) and I'm on board!

18. Serge Que

Serge Que Member

Exactly!!! I love when my rating suddenly drops two weeks after I gave my last ride. Because some ******* came out of the club drunk as hell and out of nowhere that rate your driver thing popped up.

19. Fargle

Fargle Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Halloween is coming up. How will this help defend against the swarm of self-important *******s upset about surges?

Frank Underwood and melusine3 like this.
  20. htboston

htboston Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    People don't care about what the company is doing. They care about really cheap rides, so that's why they are going to keep using Uber. Not a lot of people have principles they stand by for very long. At the end of the day, if they save money getting home or wherever, then they can care less about what Uber is doing.

Does the same thing apply when adjusting rating a few days later? I always give 5 stars then adjust it days later

How come they didn't make an option for door slammers???!! WTF

Bet they still won't get kicked off the app if their ratings dip before 4