Uber: We don’t have to pay drivers based on rider fares

i_k

It's been about a year since the implementation of upfront pricing, and I think we've all adapted to it by now. It's sill considered a scam but I don't see how a lawsuit against Uber can be won based on the fact that we agreed to the contract.

In your agreement you agree to be not paid the proper fare.
It's not the proper fare but it's a close estimate. Sometimes it's less than the route taken, sometimes it's more. For drivers, I would say it close to evens out overall (a bit on the positive in my experience). I still think getting rid of upfront fares is they way to go to create more transparency for both riders and drivers. But I don't see it going away, this feature allows Uber to maintain control of pricing and take it out of the drivers hands.

mjhawk

I feel like it averages out for the most part but what I don't get is if Uber is infact charging a rider much more then what we earn where does the extra hst go? If they charge rider hst on their whole fare then shouldn't we be seeing the same fare that the rider has paid?

I have seen discrepancies but tack on hst/booking fee/ubers % and it seems like it is right whether or not it's a couple $ more or less then actual time/distance

ploober

That is in the USA guys. Here, we get paid based on the upfront fare that is charged to the rider. They're @@@@@ing in the US because they want a system like us, and we @@@@@ because we want to be paid per km and time (like they do in the states). It's pretty hilarious.

Upfront fares averages out for me. The only times it doesn't is when you encounter very heavy traffic, or have to make detours.

i_k

I feel like it averages out for the most part but what I don't get is if Uber is infact charging a rider much more then what we earn where does the extra hst go? If they charge rider hst on their whole fare then shouldn't we be seeing the same fare that the rider has paid?

I have seen discrepancies but tack on hst/booking fee/ubers % and it seems like it is right whether or not it's a couple $ more or less then actual time/distance
We do get paid what the rider is charged (at least we're supposed to) despite the route taken. With hst in the mix this makes it more difficult for Uber to skim off the top. They wouldn't unless they're feeling really brazen.

They're *****ing in the US because they want a system like us, and we ***** because we want to be paid per km and time (like they do in the states).
I want to be paid per km/time but I also want the rider to be charged per km/time. I wouldn't want it to be like it is in America with two completely different prices.

Myxx

We do get paid what the rider is charged (at least we're supposed to) despite the route taken. With hst in the mix this makes it more difficult for Uber to skim off the top. They wouldn't unless they're feeling really brazen.

I want to be paid per km/time but I also want the rider to be charged per km/time. I wouldn't want it to be like it is in America with two completely different prices.
Then you need to find another gig... This is Uber's business and you are a contractor .. They contract your services for one price and then resell your services for a higher amount . Most companies work like that

i_k

Then you need to find another gig... This is Uber's business and you are a contractor .. They contract your services for one price and then resell your services for a higher amount . Most companies work like that

They weren't like that before upfront fares, when riders and drivers were both priced based on time/km. I was still a contractor then, I don't see any difference now.

dmoney155

They weren't like that before upfront fares, when riders and drivers were both priced based on time/km. I was still a contractor then, I don't see any difference now.
Difference is before they were subsidized by the investor's money, now they need to squeeze more and more profits to show they can actually make money.

Karl Marx

Difference is before they were subsidized by the investor's money, now they need to squeeze more and more profits to show they can actually make money.

This debate or better yet propaganda is absolutely a smoke screen. As someone from a family of professional drivers from 3 generations I can say with some degree of authority that Uber is more than profitable. Dispatch fees or as Uber calls it "commission" of 20 to 25% more than pays for any expenses it incurs. In fact I would venture to say that even with a 3% commission Uber would still be more than profitable. The fact that it is not a public company suits the investors just fine. The math when it finally becomes known and I am sure there is someone in the Uber confines who knows exactly what is going on. The fact that there is no transparency, that the company has total automation in its' long run plans and combined with AI this will be a virtual corporation with only a handful of minders. Along with the ability to skirt and thumb its' nose at the authorities and the vast legal resources it bears down on any opposition, this is a corporation that is truly in control of urban transportation for at least the near future. A corporation that is truly not accountable to anyone or any government is a fascist entity that will soon dictate how we move and function in 'their' cities.

Lolinator

This debate or better yet propaganda is absolutely a smoke screen. As someone from a family of professional drivers from 3 generations I can say with some degree of authority that Uber is more than profitable. Dispatch fees or as Uber calls it "commission" of 20 to 25% more than pays for any expenses it incurs. In fact I would venture to say that even with a 3% commission Uber would still be more than profitable. The fact that it is not a public company suits the investors just fine. The math when it finally becomes known and I am sure there is someone in the Uber confines who knows exactly what is going on. The fact that there is no transparency, that the company has total automation in its' long run plans and combined with AI this will be a virtual corporation with only a handful of minders. Along with the ability to skirt and thumb its' nose at the authorities and the vast legal resources it bears down on any opposition, this is a corporation that is truly in control of urban transportation for at least the near future. A corporation that is truly not accountable to anyone or any government is a fascist entity that will soon dictate how we move and function in 'their' cities.
overlimit characters

The Gift of Fish

The set price -- no. But the payout based on the route, detours, extra stops were always in the drivers hands. Upfront pricing made it more difficult to be paid correctly.
No, you can still select the route and do detours with up front pricing. In fact is it now good practice for drivers to do so, in order to help themselves to some of Uber's takings from the ride.

mjhawk

No, you can still select the route and do detours with up front pricing. In fact is it now good practice for drivers to do so, in order to help themselves to some of Uber's takings from the ride.
So which route is the suggested way to get the most from the fare? Shortest? Fastest?

i_k

In Canada the driver gets paid the upfront price charged to the rider (with a few exceptions), so it's typically not good practice to take detours for free. The only way we can help ourselves to some of Uber's takings is to take a shorter route than what the rider was quoted, often adding more time and more wear on our car by avoiding highways.

Karl Marx

In the old days we had a meter that was regularly calibrated by the Taxi inspector. I was always struck at how accurate it was, to the dime. We hated going to the garage for mandatory mechanical inspections, always meant losing several hours during a shift and maybe heading in for brakes or shocks. In many respects with new GPS technology and my knowledge of geographical informations systems I would posit that the technical side of Uber could do all this, down to the last foot. When Uber tracked and measured my routes, they used an evening ghost tracking vehicle, I believe it was a Lexus. Uber measured and collected all my GPS data, inches to the curb.

In retrospect and with the recent announcement that Toronto will serve as autonomous research hub, I now realize, how important collecting my data was to Uber's AI strategy. As an aside one might also keep in mind when thinking about this fare issue is that nothing is impossible with computers in 2016 or 2017. The vast amounts of computing power required for AI are phenomenally more than Uber wants to deploy for more diligent algorithms to compensate for fares. Again I repeat, where are the regulators?

Will we be ever compensated for our intellectual capital? Everyone of us helped to build this AI network? In retrospect we are all all contributors to our future misfortunes. Neoliberalism is a like a tap you can never turn off. The long range problem is not that humans will be replaced by AI and autonomous vehicles but that all the intellectual capital that has been stolen from us will live in perpetuity to the people who thieved and deceived us.

Last edited: