• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber way or the Highway?

Rickos69

It has happened many times, to the point that I'd like feedback from other drivers.
I will give just one example, but it happens often.

I will begin a delivery, and then out of curiosity will click on the black box to see the route and final destination, only to find that Uber is not sending me on the fastest route, and on top of that, also paying toll, which of course they will charge to the customer.

Many a times I have thought another route would be much faster and without tolls. But I follow theirs thinking who am I to complain about taking the long route!!!

The question is, if I took my own way, would they still pay me for their route (distance/time)???

HYPERSS

Here is Uber’s standard response on routes.
“We understand an alternative route may be preferable to the route suggested by the Uber Driver app during some trips.

We respect your judgment when making these decisions. Because of this, the Partner app lets you choose to navigate using another navigation app along with Uber's in-app navigation. Please note that payment is calculated based on the upfront route determined by Uber.

Thank you for your understanding.”

Rickos69

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is Uber’s standard response on routes.
“We understand an alternative route may be preferable to the route suggested by the Uber Driver app during some trips.

We respect your judgment when making these decisions. Because of this, the Partner app lets you choose to navigate using another navigation app along with Uber's in-app navigation. Please note that payment is calculated based on the upfront route determined by Uber.

Thank you for your understanding.”
So, for example, if I take a non Toll route, they will pay me for tolls? I am not asking this trying to make 90 cents from tolls, but to verify that they will pay based on their route along with any expenses related to that route?

FLKeys

So, for example, if I take a non Toll route, they will pay me for tolls? I am not asking this trying to make 90 cents from tolls, but to verify that they will pay based on their route along with any expenses related to that route?
Try it one time and see what happens.

potato

Lol Uber constantly routes me down a closed road. It's gravel and was closed six months ago. I emailed them about it and their answer was the same one above

FLKeys

The problem with that is that I won't know what would've been moneywise had I followed the Uber route.
If their route included a toll and yours did not you would know when they paid by seeing if they paid a toll or not. Ws don't have Uber Eats where I am so I don't know how they pay it.

YourFoodIsGettingCold

The question is, if I took my own way, would they still pay me for their route (distance/time)???
No they will pay you for the lesser paying route that you took instead of their suggested route. Ive gone back and forth with them over this, getting the above standard response. It wouldn't be such a big deal if they factored detours, construction, and accident delays.

So if you take their route and have to adjust to current traffic conditions, and it's a further drive (distance), they will only pay their original quoted mileage. And no you will not be paid tolls, I don't know how they know you didn't take a toll road but the system knows.

There's a street in Orlando, Lake Underhill Rd that runs parallel with the 408 toll road and when I take it, the app thinks I took the toll road but doesn't pay it. It does pay when I take it.

Joe Dow

i have tried this before

if u save time & miles, u will be short on money.

because the agreement says u will take the shortest most economical route possible. you dnt have to follow uber route as it is only a recommendation to u the independent contractor

Rickos69

i have tried this before

if u save time & miles, u will be short on money.

because the agreement says u will take the shortest most economical route possible. you dnt have to follow uber route as it is only a recommendation to u the independent contractor
In that case, more power to em. They can have me driving around in circles as far as I'm concerned if they're paying me.

Nats121

In that case, more power to em. They can have me driving around in circles as far as I'm concerned if they're paying me.
They won't pay you extra if you drive around in circles or take the long way.

They pay based in a pre-determined route, and if you choose a shorter way, they'll reduce the payout.

911 Guy

To the restaurant- smartest, fastest, way.

To the customer- Uber's route.

This is the only benefit of their Nav sucking.

Rickos69

They won't pay you extra if you drive around in circles or take the long way.

They pay based in a pre-determined route, and if you choose a shorter way, they'll reduce the payout.
You didn't get it. I meant that if their way is the long way, so be it. As long as they are paying me to take the long way

Joesmith2012

Um I was just in Cali the toll for a bridge is $6 so yeah pay that toll and you will need to do 2 McDonald's orders to make that money back and probably take another hour

HYPERSS

They can actually tell by the GPS if you take a non toll route versus a toll route.

Launchpad McQuack

I almost had the opportunity to test this out a couple nights ago. I picked up an order and took it to the delivery address (about a mile away). House is dark and I'm not entirely sure I'm at the right place because there is no number on the house, so I don't want to knock on the door. I call the customer. She answers. I tell her I think I have her food at her door but I'm not sure I'm at the right house. She goes, "Oh, I'm not at home. I'm in the salon on Monmouth Road." So I get her to explain to me where that is, and it turns out it was literally right across the street from the restaurant that I picked up at. If I had known that before I left the restaurant, I could have just walked it across the street and then seen whether I got paid for the actual distance of 0.1 miles or the most efficient route (to her home) of 1 mile. Unfortunately, though, I ended up driving 2 miles.

feinburg

I almost had the opportunity to test this out a couple nights ago. I picked up an order and took it to the delivery address (about a mile away). House is dark and I'm not entirely sure I'm at the right place because there is no number on the house, so I don't want to knock on the door. I call the customer. She answers. I tell her I think I have her food at her door but I'm not sure I'm at the right house. She goes, "Oh, I'm not at home. I'm in the salon on Monmouth Road." So I get her to explain to me where that is, and it turns out it was literally right across the street from the restaurant that I picked up at. If I had known that before I left the restaurant, I could have just walked it across the street and then seen whether I got paid for the actual distance of 0.1 miles or the most efficient route (to her home) of 1 mile. Unfortunately, though, I ended up driving 2 miles.
At that point, just call Uber and example to them what happen. They will pay you for the mile difference but you can always not deliver to the new location because you where paid to deliver to the request spot.

Launchpad McQuack

At that point, just call Uber and example to them what happen. They will pay you for the mile difference but you can always not deliver to the new location because you where paid to deliver to the request spot.
I only went one extra mile. It wasn't worth it to me to spend the time on the phone with Uber support for the extra $0.50. If I had to go further out of my way to make the delivery, then I would have called Uber.

I have a definitive answer to the mileage question. If the route that you actually take covers less miles than Uber's suggested route, then Uber pays you mileage for the route that you actually took. I picked up at a McDonald's last night. When I looked at the route that Uber suggested for me, it was really stupid. So I went my own way instead. Uber's suggested route was 2.3 miles. I looked at my trip summary this morning, and Uber paid me for 1.28 miles. (But hey, the customer assured me that he will tip me on the app because he didn't have any cash on him, so that should be rolling in any day, right?) So if you find a shorter route, then you get paid for the shorter route. If you take a longer route, then you get paid for Uber's suggested route.

As for time, I believe that they pay you for actual time regardless. This past week I did two deliveries from the same restaurant to the same person at the same address. This restaurant is on the green list; the order is always ready when I walk in the door. To get to the delivery address, Uber's navigation tries to take you down a street that is closed to vehicular traffic. So the first time, I had to improvise and it took me a little while (including some time on the phone with the customer) to find the place. The second time I went straight there because I knew exactly where I was going and ignored Uber's directions. The first trip I got paid for 26 minutes. The second trip I got paid for 20 minutes. Exact same distance for both of them.

Rickos69

I only went one extra mile. It wasn't worth it to me to spend the time on the phone with Uber support for the extra $0.50. If I had to go further out of my way to make the delivery, then I would have called Uber.

I have a definitive answer to the mileage question. If the route that you actually take covers less miles than Uber's suggested route, then Uber pays you mileage for the route that you actually took. I picked up at a McDonald's last night. When I looked at the route that Uber suggested for me, it was really stupid. So I went my own way instead. Uber's suggested route was 2.3 miles. I looked at my trip summary this morning, and Uber paid me for 1.28 miles. (But hey, the customer assured me that he will tip me on the app because he didn't have any cash on him, so that should be rolling in any day, right?) So if you find a shorter route, then you get paid for the shorter route. If you take a longer route, then you get paid for Uber's suggested route.

As for time, I believe that they pay you for actual time regardless. This past week I did two deliveries from the same restaurant to the same person at the same address. This restaurant is on the green list; the order is always ready when I walk in the door. To get to the delivery address, Uber's navigation tries to take you down a street that is closed to vehicular traffic. So the first time, I had to improvise and it took me a little while (including some time on the phone with the customer) to find the place. The second time I went straight there because I knew exactly where I was going and ignored Uber's directions. The first trip I got paid for 26 minutes. The second trip I got paid for 20 minutes. Exact same distance for both of them.
Thanks. That cleared everything up. I was suspicious that they pay you for actual time, because on occasion, the NAV screws up and I end up driving around an apartments complex looking for the right building, and it does appear to pay me for actual time.

Launchpad McQuack

So this happened to me last night. I picked up at a restaurant and started the delivery. The customer location was 13 miles away, according to Uber. I looked at the route, and Uber had me going a couple miles out of my way to take a toll road. I thought, "This is stupid. I can take a more direct route and not take any toll roads." So I went my way instead. As soon as I started going my way, the navigation automatically adjusted the route. I glanced at the new route, and it now said 10 miles. Okay, makes sense. My way is shorter.

After I got home, I was entering my trip records in my spreadsheet and I found that Uber paid me for 13.3 miles on that trip. Hmm, I thought I went a shorter route. So I checked my odometer records for the trip, and sure enough, my odometer records say that I covered 10 miles on that delivery. Uber paid me for their original 13-mile route that I didn't take, though.

So I don't know. I thought I had a definitive answer to this question, but now I have two separate cases that each provide evidence for contradictory conclusions. My ultimate conclusion is that Uber pays you what they feel like paying you, and as long as it's relatively close to what I would expect given the time and mileage for the delivery, then I don't question it.