1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber wants to ease surges

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Candi, Jan 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Candi

Candi Active Member

2. grams777

grams777 Moderator Moderator

The biggest problem in ride-sharing is supply -- having enough drivers in peak times. Automated vehicles will help smooth out surge times.”​

This makes no sense and seems completely backward.

Driverless cars represent more of a smaller fixed supply. You can't have a fleet of thousands of idle cars with fixed costs owned by a company that are only used during 40 or so busy hours out of the week.

The truth seems to be the exact opposite.

The driverless cars would work the core demand needed almost 24/7. Then human drivers could fill in only when the extra demand is needed. Of course, by coming online with the extra supply there would be little to no surge. So human drivers would just be needed to fill in at the busiest times at the lowest fares.

The problem of surge could be better addressed by changing the pricing structure.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  3. Candi

Candi Active Member

I found it more interesting that they want to ease (get rid of) surge because PAX don't like it and are crying "gouging".

grams777 likes this.
  4. lakersfan1

lakersfan1 Well-Known Member

When the "self-driving" cars are driving into Millennium Park to pick up PAX at The Bean or down a closed Madison Street after a Bulls game or up 18th Street exit after a Bears game, even though CPD decided to close it today, or up McFetridge Drive while one guard is telling you "GO", and another is telling you "STOP". Good luck "self-driving" car. Good luck, since I will never even come close to a closing of any special event in Chicago EVER.

5. UberTrucker

UberTrucker Well-Known Member

A passenger complain about something? No way. I think your lying! Passengers appriciate your clean car by barfing out the window at highway speed instead of inside. They ball up gum wrapper as small as they can to avoid you seeing it on the floor. They save their remaining water for he next passenger saving the driving from opening another one. They turn up your music to 99% volume not 100% to save your speakers. So now u know why I know your lying about passenger complaining. They are the happiest ppl ever!!! I'm just saying!!!

6. grams777

Better to just raise rates about 25%-50% and rarely surge them than have lower rates and surge them. Nobody remembers the rates are rock bottom. All they know is they got surged = gouged.

When I drove taxis, there was no surge. But the rates were such that when you are 100% busy it's like surge because you may go from 1.5 trips per hour to 3 trips per hour. Rates are always equal. The only complaint may be from 2-3 am it could take 10 minutes longer to wait for one. But by 3 am or so, they're back in full supply.

XL is similar. It rarely surges. But *if you stay busy* (very BIG IF) with its higher rates you can do about $400 on a full day with no surge.

7. Freefall

Freefall Member

Pretty easy solution, just have a designated pick-up spot(s) at dense locations/events

8. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Jufkii likes this.
  9. tohunt4me

Self driving cars will be rolling garbage dumps used as brothels by junkies and EVERY UBER DRIVER KNOWS IT !
    Just wait till the lawsuits roll in from passengers sitting on Aids infected needles !

10. tohunt4me

Because Uber has created a culture that expects something for nothing by forcing drivers to subsidise ubers money losing operations.

ABC123DEF and Candi like this.
  11. Syed raza

Syed raza Active Member

New drivers are coming up and they think the fare they are getting is enough for them. Drivers who started sometime ago either left or drive Maybe couple days a week

Kels1234 and tohunt4me like this.
  12. crazytown

crazytown Well-Known Member

You know it !!! They will have puke dried up in them , garbage all over , Ubers cleaning monkeys wont be able to keep up with the mess ...

13. crazytown

These new drivers are idiots .. that cannot compute basic math....

14. Zuber A

Zuber A Well-Known Member

How does the unmanned car handle the situations like Pax doesn't know his/her own location, car inside is full garbage/bad smell, etc.? What if communication dropped in the middle of the ride in no where? There are still a lot of railed trains operated by man, auto-driving on the road for massive taxi service is still someone's dream.

15. crazytown

Let all these cheap bratty millenials be the test dummies for autonomous cars.

ChicagoPartTimer and Candi like this.
  16. Freefall

Freefall Member

Same way you handle it with a Zipcar that isn't in proper condition. You report it as unclean and request another car. And autonomous cars don't rely on GPS for navigation. Losing signal wouldn't affect them. They use LIDAR.

17. NadZrag

NadZrag Well-Known Member

What is surge?

18. Syed raza

Syed raza Active Member

Poo rides=surge

19. lakersfan1

lakersfan1 Well-Known Member

Go ahead and check Lyft's website for city approved pickup areas for Soldier Field next time there's 60,000 people there, and then find one that CPD didn't close just to piss off Uber/Lyft. Unless self-driving cars learn to get flexible with the law real fast, people will go back to taxis.

20. grams777

Making the pax walk? Seems like a recipe for the self driving cars to be one starred. I wonder if it gets deactivated and sold if it falls below 4.6.