Uber vs. Lyft Queue at Airport

DriverXLPlus

On Monday night I was at the airport on none Uber/Lyft business. Although I never queue at the airport, it seemed really busy with arrivals and since I was already there I decided to queue. I entered the lot at 5:51 pm, I was 23 for Uber and 99 for Lyft. In 17 minutes I got an Uber request, and I was still 50 for Lyft. Looks like Lyft has twice the business at the airport and four times the drivers (at least at this time).

I live in the lower west side of Gilbert. Right now there are 8 Lyft cars showing online in my area, and only 3 Uber cars.

CarterPeerless

On Monday night I was at the airport on none Uber/Lyft business. Although I never queue at the airport, it seemed really busy with arrivals and since I was already there I decided to queue. I entered the lot at 5:51 pm, I was 23 for Uber and 99 for Lyft. In 17 minutes I got an Uber request, and I was still 50 for Lyft. Looks like Lyft has twice the business at the airport and four times the drivers (at least at this time).

It's not that linear. Some part of the 23 is Uber only, some part of the 99 is Lyft only, and some part of both of those numbers are dual apping. This means that a ping to a dual apper removes both a Lyft and an Uber from the queue. The mix is constantly changing - sometimes might be a high proportion of dual appers, sometimes low. Sometimes people give up and leave the queue. Some are running multi-platform and leave the queue for a Select or Plus or whatever.

I'm dual app and when I have been in the queue I get pinged by Uber first 100% of the time. There is no way that Lyft is doing more business at the airport.

DriverXLPlus

It's not that linear. Some part of the 23 is Uber only, some part of the 99 is Lyft only, and some part of both of those numbers are dual apping. This means that a ping to a dual apper removes both a Lyft and an Uber from the queue. The mix is constantly changing - sometimes might be a high proportion of dual appers, sometimes low. Sometimes people give up and leave the queue. Some are running multi-platform and leave the queue for a Select or Plus or whatever.

I'm dual app and when I have been in the queue I get pinged by Uber first 100% of the time. There is no way that Lyft is doing more business at the airport.
The most that could have been dual app is 23, (that is if every Uber in the queue was running dual app). The queues were drawn down by a total of 72, which means between 49 and 72 cars were actually requested depending on how many were dual app. With Uber being drawn down by 23, that means Lyft was drawn down by 26 to 49, in any case more than Uber.

UberDeath

The most that could have been dual app is 23, (that is if every Uber in the queue was running dual app). The queues were drawn down by a total of 72, which means between 49 and 72 cars were actually requested depending on how many were dual app. With Uber being drawn down by 23, that means Lyft was drawn down by 26 to 49, in any case more than Uber.
Nope you're completely wrong I'm at the airport all the time with both apps on there could be 50 cars in line on Lyft and 75 on Uber and I will get an Uber before the Lyft. I've only actually gotten 2 Lyft rides out of the airport since they've allowed us at the airport by waiting in the Qline with both apps on. Uber always runs down faster. the only time lyft is faster is there are companies that use Lyft only and instruct their employees to use it when they come in for a convention the lyft will move faster than uber. I know because I asked these passengers but it's rare the only thing that happened in this situation is that almost all the Uber drivers are doing both apps 23 of their cars move which took 23 off the lift and lift had some go down as well also lift will ping drivers that are in the airport outside of the airport more than Uber so those people will get pinged and then leave the airport but they're not getting rides out of the airport at the same rate that is for sure. by the way I have over 10,000 rides under my belt so I know what I'm talking about. It's not antidotal information

Last edited:

BillyBob444

Sunday morning there was 50 Lyft and 10 Goober int Q. Still got a Lyft ride first in about 35 minutes. Tuesday at 630 there was 5 Goober and 30 Lyft in Q. 5 minutes I had Goober ride to Gilbert. Got a ride right back to airport and no Goobers in Q. One later I got pinged near DT for another Goober ride. Still no one in Q. Lyft stayed around 30 cars in line

DriverXLPlus

Nope you're completely wrong
Not really. I shared my experience and did some math. Nothing in it is wrong. And it doesn't really refute what your saying. Except that you seem not to realize that more Uber rides has to do with the ratio of drivers to requests and not the absolute number of requests. Since rarely queue at the airport I don't have the experience that you do, but I know what happened on Monday night when I was there.

And every day/night isn't going to be the same. I have days with 1 Lyft trip, the rest are all Uber. Then out of the blue Lyft comes thru with more trips than Uber. Tue and Wed this week I only have had 5 Lyfts, but I had 15 Uber trips.

CarterPeerless

I would remember too that Ubers are getting rematched at a higher rate. More ubers in, more rematches, more business at the airport, fewer in the queue. Lyft drop at the airport has a higher likelihood of dropping you in the queue than uber.

Just because the Lyft queue decreases in number by a larger amount, doesn't mean that they are doing more business out of PHX. In fact it may actually be showing the opposite.

UberDeath

Not really. I shared my experience and did some math. Nothing in it is wrong. And it doesn't really refute what your saying. Except that you seem not to realize that more Uber rides has to do with the ratio of drivers to requests and not the absolute number of requests. Since rarely queue at the airport I don't have the experience that you do, but I know what happened on Monday night when I was there.
I know what happened, lot's of students coming back into town from the Labor Day weekend most students take Lyft not the norm. Also I have no idea what your reasoning is if there are more Uber drivers in the lot it does not equal more Uber request the request only come when passengers at the airport request rides that's more people are requesting Uber, plus Uber is constantly rematching so the Uber drivers in the lot have to wait even more but are still moving faster then Lyft 95% of the time that's all you need to know.

Nasshan79

It's simple. Forget the queue... Friday I had three airport drop offs... 2 Uber, 1 Lyft. All three got matched with pickups immediately. Concentrate on areas that generate airport drop offs and you will get the airport pickups. The queue is for lazy drivers.

John1971

lento...

BillyBob444

How is that an illegal pickup?

According to the agreement the city signed with Goober and Lyft all tips are supposed to start from the assigned lot But first Goober n then Lyft came up with the idea that pax have to wait too long so they started rematch. Circling the airport was not in the agreement.

Nasshan79

According to the agreement the city signed with Goober and Lyft all tips are supposed to start from the assigned lot But first Goober n then Lyft came up with the idea that pax have to wait too long so they started rematch. Circling the airport was not in the agreement.
Who said anything about circling. With uber and lyft I get stacked pings for pickups. Don't circle at all.

RideshareDude

I don't circle the airport. I drive where the rides take me and if I happen to get an airport run I happily take it knowing that based on my luck there is a 90% chance of rematch. I don't wait in the airport ques unless I am tired and want to take a nap because waiting means no calls and no calls mean no money.

You are not going to GET RICH driving ride share people!!!

Therefore, set a daily/weekly goal and drive safe and be happy.