Uber vs Lyft in SD?

Daisy&Cream

Im approved for and drive for both services, but I often see drivers stick to one or the other, especially a lot lyft drivers. Why would you do this? Its so restrictive to be with only one platform all the time, isn't it?

XPG

I see many drivers on the road, trying to study their apps while driving. Big mistake! Whether you realize it or not, running both apps significantly impairs your driving abilities, place you at greater risk of crashing.

CJfrom619

I see many drivers on the road, trying to study their apps while driving. Big mistake! Whether you realize it or not, running both apps significantly impairs your driving abilities, place you at greater risk of crashing.
That is what stop lights are for. Running both apps at the same time is very easy to do. Obviously using an app while driving is dangerous..that’s why you only mess with app while driving when your stopped.

XPG

That is what stop lights are for. Running both apps at the same time is very easy to do. Obviously using an app while driving is dangerous..that’s why you only mess with app while driving when your stopped.

Look don't get me wrong, you are obviously one of those drivers who wants to maximize time and profits by running both apps while driving. I get it, but it's not safe. You’re driving, and your attention is drawn away for two seconds just to touch your screen. What can happen in those two seconds?

I have a habit of keeping both apps on until I get within a minute or 2 of my pickup then shut all apps off to avoid distraction then turning them both back on a few minutes from the dropoff. Not only for a long notification trips but if your in a area where it’s surging on both apps then keep both on until your right about to pickup.

CJfrom619

I agree though most drivers probably aren’t smart enough to run both apps safely. I have a routine of spending 30 seconds when I pickup rider to map out the dropoff and pick the route I wanna take.

I agree though most drivers probably aren’t smart enough to run both apps safely. I have a routine of spending 30 seconds when I pickup rider to map out the dropoff and pick the route I wanna take.
Like I said I don’t mess with my phone while my car is moving. It can be done safely if you think about your actions.

XPG

It takes only 2 seconds. That's all..
3d68a9abef5b28d0.jpg
3269771_032118-ktrk-uber-self-driving-car-crash-img.jpg

NCRBILL

I totally disagree. You just need to learn how to make it work. I’ve ran both for close to two years with no problem.

It takes only 2 seconds. That's all..
View attachment 217851 View attachment 217852
There is a big difference here. This person isn’t driving but we are

San Diego X

Doesn’t matter.

I used to do both the U and Lyft and now only Uber.

I didn’t want to pay to have my car inspected for Lyft when it was already approved by Uber for no cost.

Uber keeps me more than busy right now. It’s not 2014.

I might re-sign up with Lyft but it was shitty back in the day.

Safe_Driver_4_U

Like I said I don’t mess with my phone while my car is moving. It can be done safely if you think about your actions.
that's a me too, I have a rule never touch phone while moving, I will touch it at a redlight....never moving. I also have a 45 second routine when I pick up pax, temp control, radio OK? , leg room OK? and fiddle with App while parked before driving. If I forget or can't turn off an app and it pings while I am on a trip I let the ping time out, no harm done. I am working 3 apps now! not too much of a problem. When there is enough business maybe in a year it will be Bounce only, for obvious reasons. Really looking forward to dumping FUber and LIARft

Last edited:

Safe_Driver_4_U

If Lyft had $1000 deductible I would run both apps.
I NEVER troll with Lyft App on, and only rarely with Uber on DF on the way home. I learned my lesson when heading into combat traffic make sure apps are off, I really like having dash cams with gps and clocks so if needed I have good documentation that apps were off.

CJfrom619

Doesn’t matter.

I used to do both the U and Lyft and now only Uber.

I didn’t want to pay to have my car inspected for Lyft when it was already approved by Uber for no cost.

Uber keeps me more than busy right now. It’s not 2014.

I might re-sign up with Lyft but it was shitty back in the day.
Running both Uber and Lyft isn’t only about getting more requests. There is much more strategy involved in using both apps. For example being able to use both apps while a area is surging at the same time is a huge advantage. And sometimes Lyft maybe having primetime in an area where Uber is not surging at all or vice versa. How about the fact that Uber surges at the airport and Lyft doesn’t. Bringing in 2x times the requests gives you more chances for long notification trips. Running both apps also gives you more destination trips. There are many benefits to running both apps and if you do it right can be more profitable. I’m like most of you where most of my business comes from Uber but I love using Lyft situationally..such as primetime and destination mostly.

Foxy Flameheart

I have a cheap phone and a cheap service, so I only run both while waiting for a ping. I pull over & let my phone finish freaking out, then Im committed to whatever i accepted and the other one is off. Lyft has always been less demand which is unfortunate. I usually turn them on first depending on what surge looks like and give them a few min to try and favor them more, but if uber is surging or going off like crazy, then lyft just has to stay off more. Theres been times if was in the middle of a big pink zone, so uber stayed off, and then only got line pings or nothing at all. But every so often they come thru & get a bunch in a row, so Im glad we have at least one other option. Sometimes I think they are both pretty much controlled by the same people. The way they imitate each other so closely in ways that are not great for drivers is kind of sad.

Wombat7

I personally run both apps at the same time, usually aggressively, much like Blushark and CJ and NCRBill. Because of my previous employment experience, which have all required strong multitasking skills, this comes to me fairly easily.

However, I often come across people that for whatever reason have not been able to multitask at all and yet have been super effective at what they do when operating at their own pace. And they have often saved my bacon when operating in a team environment.

If you're profitable and happy in working in a one-platform environment and you're working the amount of hours you want to work when you want to work them, more power to you. For me personally, in the hours that I want to work, I can't make the money I want to make in my required time frame without running both Uber/Lyft at the same time.

I don't think the safety argument really flys re two platforms.

Safety is or should be very important to everyone. I've got my phone set in what I feel is the most optimal position on the dash for as complete visibility as possible. And while I do try to minimize tinkering with the phone, I do tinker with it in traffic but I never remove it from it's mount and I very strongly suspect I'm not the only one. I often see cops doing more then tinkering with their mounted laptops all the time.

And when it comes to the apps, how much tinkering can you actually do? You're not texting, and ideally you're not playing a game that requires high levels of concentration.

I'll bet that even you single platform guys will check your daily stats and totals from time to time as the day goes on.

Anything beyond that is starting to get dangerous.

1.5xorbust

I run two apps at the same time but they are the Uber Driver and pax apps. I try to optimize my location and multiplier before trip acceptance by constantly monitoring both apps at the same time.

Safe_Driver_4_U

I personally run both apps at the same time, usually aggressively, much like Blushark and CJ and NCRBill. Because of my previous employment experience, which have all required strong multitasking skills, this comes to me fairly easily.

However, I often come across people that for whatever reason have not been able to multitask at all and yet have been super effective at what they do when operating at their own pace. And they have often saved my bacon when operating in a team environment.

If you're profitable and happy in working in a one-platform environment and you're working the amount of hours you want to work when you want to work them, more power to you. For me personally, in the hours that I want to work, I can't make the money I want to make in my required time frame without running both Uber/Lyft at the same time.

I don't think the safety argument really flys re two platforms.

Safety is or should be very important to everyone. I've got my phone set in what I feel is the most optimal position on the dash for as complete visibility as possible. And while I do try to minimize tinkering with the phone, I do tinker with it in traffic but I never remove it from it's mount and I very strongly suspect I'm not the only one. I often see cops doing more then tinkering with their mounted laptops all the time.

And when it comes to the apps, how much tinkering can you actually do? You're not texting, and ideally you're not playing a game that requires high levels of concentration.

I'll bet that even you single platform guys will check your daily stats and totals from time to time as the day goes on.

Anything beyond that is starting to get dangerous.
I got into a fender scratcher incident downtown during rush hour and I have had a few very close calls either just after I turned app off or while I did something stooopid like check the rating while moving. It is very very dangerous to do even the smallest fiddling while moving. Let me tell you, a fender scratcher that amounted to a hill of beans was a month of grief dealing with Lyft and the insurance companies. In light of those incidents and being attacked by pedestrians from the street I now have two dash cams directed to the outside of my car one over front other over rear in addition to the interior cab cam.