Uber took a big step back today

emmhope

The explanation was honest and direct would you rather they make the DF go opposite direction like Lyft does ? instead they came out and told the truth

They admitted they made a mistake and said they will figure out other ways so just chill and move on.

SirSurge

The explanation was honest and direct would you rather they make the DF go opposite direction like Lyft does ? instead they came out and told the truth

They admitted they made a mistake and said they will figure out other ways so just chill and move on.

Try this kool aide man, lol.

You actually bought that corporate euphemism bullshit?

I guess this is the driver uber referred to in the email? I imagined more of a unicorn.

UberAnt39

When shysters like Uber say "we have to be honest" the only sane response is "what steaming pile of BS are you about to try and feed me".
How can anyone not have learnt by now that the only reason you can completely rule out with Uber is whatever reason they give, you know like cutting rates to increase driver earnings. They are not, and never once have been honest or direct.
Funny how they were able to develop and test thoroughly Up Front Pricing that gets them 50%+ of the fares, but something driver friendly was beyond them and so needed to be revoked.
As for Lyft, they could give you 100 DF's a day, for all the use it is.

Last edited:

emmhope

I have 0 sympathy for any of you , you couldn’t stop telling everyone to use DF and now here you are weeping like teenage girls , you are just a bunch of disgraceful brats.

The Uber guy said ETA’s were getting longer because we used DF too much. What part of that is a lie ? then he apologized, do us a favor and stay home since you don’t have 6 DF.

I liked having 6 DF but what’s the point if i can’t use the 6 DF I got , it simply became useless where it counts, only good for short rides within the 7 miles of SF.

Okphillip

I have 0 sympathy for any of you , you couldn’t stop telling everyone to use DF and now here you are weeping like teenage girls , you are just a bunch of disgraceful brats.

The Uber guy said ETA’s were getting longer because we used DF too much. What part of that is a lie ? then he apologized, do us a favor and stay home since you don’t have 6 DF.

I liked having 6 DF but what’s the point if i can’t use the 6 DF I got , it simply became useless where it counts, only good for short rides within the 7 miles of SF.
It worked for me when I had 6. Maybe you didn't know HOW to use it.

SRGuy

The explanation was honest and direct would you rather they make the DF go opposite direction like Lyft does ?
The give me opposite direction all the time. Like yesterday, going south on 101, DF to DF. In Novato, pickup in Corte Madera to dropoff in San Rafael. Sorry. In San Rafael, pickup in Sausalito to drop off
in Mill Valley. Sorry. In Santa Rosa at Corby Avenue, Pickup is in Larkfield. Sorry.

divo183

What can so many of you be doing at the same time with DF to make wait time longer for riders? I'm just curious.
In Boston we have preferences and 6 DF.

I don't see a lack of drivers in your city for it to make a huge difference.

ABC123DEF

I don't remember anybody asking you to have sympathy for them.

Where did u get this email address?

Most Uber corporate addresses can be found with a little digging.

Sacto Burbs

What can so many of you be doing at the same time with DF to make wait time longer for riders? I'm just curious.

They are lying. Maybe the folks at Uber headquarter were having trouble getting a ride.

Or it's dark red downtown and you set the DF to say get me the hell out of here

Or many who were too timid to cancel on unprofitable rides just had a way to cancel half the pings.

E.g. I sneak into the 2x Boost zone and set DF in the opposite direction. No zero crappy Pool rides to the heart of rush hour - they vanish. Poor Pool riders.

Last edited:

divo183

They are lying. Maybe the folks at Uber headquarter were having trouble getting a ride.
Most likely. It just doesn't make sense to me.
I use DF to my advantage and I know for a fact that what I'm doing with DF is only done by maybe another 3 drivers at the same time, so there's got to be another 10,000 Uber's not doing the same. The reason I say another 3 is because I taught them. If not they would have never thought on doing what I do with DF..

Sacto Burbs

If just 10 percent of the drivers are using DF to their advantage, blocking all pings behind them, that puts a huge dent in available drivers at any given time.

Even more so during surge

Very different from its original intention which is to get you a ride on your way to the city or home - that you otherwise would not have taken because you would have turned off your app

UberAnt39

If just 10 percent of the drivers are using DF to their advantage, blocking all pings behind them, that puts a huge dent in available drivers at any given time.

Very different from its original intention which is to get you a ride on your way to the city or home - that you otherwise would not have taken because you would have turned off your app
They originally added DF to try and get daily commuters to sign up as drivers to & from work. Then pretended that they did it for regular drivers' benefit.
The reason Uber gives for doing something is usually a lie, occasionally it rises to a half truth.

Strange Fruit

Is Aaron Mr German child

Df doesn't block pings behind you. I speak fro experience. U can go 3 miles behind u only to come back to where u started. Unless it has changed. I stopped using cuz it sucked like that.

Now I only use it my way. But only 2 other drivers out of 10,000 know how. I know that for a fact. I'm the only one who could have thought of what I thought of. Because these other 2 did not think of it, that proves, factually, that the other 10,000 could not have thought of it. Fact.

Very different from its original intention which is to get you a ride on your way to the city or home
I have tried to use it this way to get to Los Altos (cuz it's far, to get most out of a boost) and it takes me 1.7 miles. It's original intention was never very useful. Outside SF, I get pulled far off track, only to get a short ride marginally closer to where I'm going.

emmhope

It has to do with the nature of the bay area , something they would solve easily by increasing the per minute rates.

emmhope

Or it's dark red downtown and you set the DF to say get me the hell out of here

Or many who were too timid to cancel on unprofitable rides just had a way to cancel half the pings.

E.g. I sneak into the 2x Boost zone and set DF in the opposite direction. Now zero crappy Pool rides to the heart of rush hour - they vanish. Poor Pool riders.

Last week if you set DF during evening commute around soma , you could easily go 1 hour without a ping and take it off it's none stop.

I had found a spot for pings but they most likely wouldn't go further than soma :frown:

UberAnt39

It has to do with the nature of the bay area , something they would solve easily by increasing the per minute rates.

By design, DF gives preference for a ride to a DF driver over ones who are closer. In volume, 6 per day compared to 2, it rose to a metric they could measure.

The obvious answer for their way of thinking is to revert to giving the trips to the nearest or otherwise algorithmically preferable driver, take him/her miles out of their way and then have to deadmile back, f 'em , ie to choose to screw the drivers over rather than have the courage or imagination to work out another solution.

A noticeable thing about these Millenial driven website businesses is its no longer even considered bad to be seen screwing people over, as long as they tell you up front what and how they're going to do it, that makes it ok.