Uber To Require Masks for Drivers and Pax

MHR

Uber will soon require drivers and riders to wear face coverings in the US

As it anticipates a restart to its core rideshare business amid the pandemic, Uber plans to require drivers and riders to wear face masks or face coverings when using the platform in certain countries, including the United States, CNN Business has learned.

Executives approved the new policy in a meeting this past week, according to a person familiar with the matter, and the requirement is expected to be rolled out in the coming weeks.

As part of the policy, Uber is in the process of developing technology to detect if drivers are wearing masks or face coverings before they go online and start accepting trips, said the person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the policy decision was just made recently and has not yet been introduced. The company already has face verification capabilities as part of its "Real Time ID-check" feature used to verify the identity of drivers. Uber is also looking into ways to hold riders accountable, the person said.

Uber confirmed to CNN Business that the company plans to introduce a policy around requiring masks or face coverings in certain markets, and that it is developing technology to detect drivers' usage of face coverings.

"As countries reopen, Uber is focused on safety and proceeding with caution. Today, we continue to ask riders to stay home if they can, while shipping safety supplies to drivers who are providing essential trips. At the same time, our teams are preparing for the next phase of recovery, where we will all have a role to play," said Uber's head of safety communications Andrew Hasbun in a statement to CNN Business.

For roughly six weeks, much of the US has been under stay-at-home orders due to the pandemic, upending Uber's core ride-hailing business. Last week, The Information reported that Uber is weighing significant staff cuts. Competitor Lyft announced last week that it is laying off nearly 1,000 employees and furloughing hundreds of others. Both companies are set to report earnings this week. Uber's Rides business made up 81% of the company's adjusted net revenue in the fourth quarter of 2019; its food delivery service, Eats, made up 11%.

But as parts of the country begin to reopen for business, Uber -- like other travel companies -- is also considering how it might ramp back up. This past week, JetBlue, Delta Air Lines, and American Airlines, all of which have been hurt badly by the pandemic, said passengers would soon be required to wear masks.

Once the policy is introduced, Uber drivers and delivery workers will be required to wear some kind of face covering, such as a mask or bandana, regardless of whether they have received a company-provided mask. Uber said it is trying to get masks to drivers who need them as soon as possible.

In April, Uber said it began shipping masks to drivers and delivery workers, as well as disinfectant spray. The company said then that it would purchase and ship tens of millions of ear-loop face masks to its global workers. However, it noted that, because supplies are limited and health care workers take priority, this may take some time to get to drivers. In the US, Uber said it is prioritizing getting masks to active drivers in cities and states that have requested drivers wear face coverings.

Robyn Gershon, a New York University epidemiology professor, said that because coronavirus can spread easily in close contact, such as in a vehicle, "absolutely positively everyone should be wearing a mask" or face covering. Those masks should be changed out frequently, she said, such as every eight hours for drivers who "work long hours." Masks should be placed into a new zip-lock bag after use and washed, if reusable, Gershon told CNN Business.

Moreover, Gershon suggested drivers should disinfect vehicles after each rider is dropped off, if possible. She added that she "really likes the idea" of plastic barriers or divisions in vehicles to protect both drivers and passengers, something companies have started to explore. For example, Chinese rideshare company Didi Chuxing said it is installing plastic dividers in its fleets in China and Mexico; In India, Uber said all UberMedic cars, used to transport doctors and nurses, are fitted with a plastic sheet as a barrier.

"Nobody should be riding if they're feeling the least bit sick or are in one of the high-risk groups," she added.

In the statement to CNN Business, Hasbun said: “We’ll communicate updates directly to users when ready, but in the meantime we continue to urge all riders and drivers to wear masks or face coverings when using Uber.”

MHR

Cool, I’ll be sure and pass along your comments to CNN Business and let them know they need to shorten their articles. :smiles:

However, for the TL;DR crowd here are the main points:

1.Uber wants pax and drivers to wear masks.

2.They are developing technology in the app to make sure drivers are wearing them.

3.Uber is trying to get the masks to drivers who need them as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

SHalester

This is good, but like how many weeks late? AND I still have not rec'd anything from Uber. NO sanitizer, no mask, no wipes, no nuttin. AND it seems you will need to take a pic of yourself daily? Each ride? Yikes.
NOT going online until SAH order has ended. AND only if the Fed cheese ends 8/1.

DeadHeadDriver

Jeeez, can see it now:

Pax gets in your car without mask. You ask them to comply with Uber directive:
_---__So Pax pulls up their dingy t-shirt to cover face!! _(& expose their vast, ugly, & stinky belly & FUPA :sick:) [As Driver rolls windows down] Pax: "Got my mask on now!" "Hey can we stop at Chik-Filla Drive-Thru on way home?" ...

islanddriver

Also in India Uber is installing plastic sheeting around driver's seat .in that same article there is a video.nthey should also do it for those who want to drive in the US.

Post automatically merged:

I’m not driving now . I'm over 60 and have several health concerns . When I start driving again there will need to be a vaccine Or drugs for the virus. Even then i will wear a mask (which i think will become a way of life as it has in other countries . ) plus some kind of a shield to protect me from pax coughs and sneezing droplets.

Last edited:

SHalester

what if you dont have a pax why do you need a mask to suffocate?
I'm sure with no pax you can lower the mask.....well after you have the windows open for a bit that is. That is what I do on my daily 5 mile jog. Only pull the mask up if there is anybody around or I'm in somebody's wake......when nobody around down goes the mask.

NoPool4Me

Bottom line, 2 points:

You have to find your own masks

Great times refusing service to passengers without masks or that take them off mid trip.
While doing delivery one day last week my app turned on the driving portion and I received a ride request. Thinking it was another delivery I hit accept and was horrified to see it was a rider. To my relief, the rider canceled the ride before I was able to cancel it. I suspect they didn't like the note on my profile.

The bad thing is the app turning driver portion on by itself when in delivery only mode.

Attachments

• IC logo.jpg
    IC logo.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 173

Clothahump

Uber will soon require drivers and riders to wear face coverings in the US

As it anticipates a restart to its core rideshare business amid the pandemic, Uber plans to require drivers and riders to wear face masks or face coverings when using the platform in certain countries, including the United States, CNN Business has learned.
Meaningless. The masks do NOTHING to prevent the disease from spreading.

NoPool4Me

Meaningless. The masks do NOTHING to prevent the disease from spreading.
Some masks will protect you from getting the disease. Most masks I see worn when out and about won't keep virus from traveling through... they just shorten the distance a cough or sneeze travels. The key is for me, as a driver to only drive passengers if I have a good mask and they understand that windows will be cracked open to allow air flow.

You may find the following of interest:
Why Telling People They Don’t Need Masks Backfired

As my profile shows, I still require masks. Even so, they won't be finding an unlocked door to enter my vehicle without first answering some questions via cracked open window since I won't drive sick passengers.

In the meantime, I'm staying home until covid dies down. Good luck to those of you that still drive and deliver.

Attachments

• IC logo.jpg
    IC logo.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited: