UBER TIP POLICY BOSTON

Uber Man Boston

I am getting a lot of questions about the sign I have posted in my car here in Boston, Massachusetts. All of Massachusetts too... Here is Uber Policy at the PAX App. Read it.

IMG_5936.jpg
IMG_5937.jpg
IMG_5938.jpg

Golfermack

Boy, that's well buried in the Rider's app.

I believe that language is new as a result of the Driver's class action law suit against Uber. That law suit was settled 1-2 months ago. One of the agreements was for Uber to be more cooperative towards tipping. But, I suspect most passengers are not aware of Uber's change in policy.

Whenever I discussed tipping with the pax, after they brought it up, most say they thought Uber was against tipping. I would clarify that, but I don't think they wanted to believe me. I will print out this new language, and have hand outs ready for the next time we discuss tipping. I'm sure my new sign (thanks to UberMan Boston) will generate more discussion about the tipping issue and Uber's stance on it.

Last edited:

Uber Man Boston

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah. I like to read a lot. However, my brain tricks me to understand other things (gross for net, remember?)

joeboston

[QUOTE="Golfermack, post: 1295420, member: 10751"the Driver's class action law suit against Uber. That law suit was settled 1-2 months ago[/QUOTE]

Small point of clarification, it is my understanding that the judge involved in the class action lawsuit, Judge Edward Chen, rejected the proposed settlement agreement. He stated, among other things, the amount of the settlement was insufficient.

Additionally, Atty. Liss-Riordan has since agreed to lower her fee to $11.milliion, (approximately one half of what it was to be) in part, as respasse to the widespread negative reaction generated by the relatively small amount of money drivers were due to receive under the terms of the settlement.

UberGuyMike

[QUOTE="Golfermack, post: 1295420, member: 10751"the Driver's class action law suit against Uber. That law suit was settled 1-2 months ago
Small point of clarification, it is my understanding that the judge involved in the class action lawsuit, Judge Edward Chen, rejected the proposed settlement agreement. He stated, among other things, the amount of the settlement was insufficient.

Additionally, Atty. Liss-Riordan has since agreed to lower her fee to $11.milliion, (approximately one half of what it was to be) in part, as respasse to the widespread negative reaction generated by the relatively small amount of money drivers were due to receive under the terms of the settlement.[/QUOTE]

I think you're thinking of the proposed settlement from January in a similar case, which was rejected: https://www.theguardian.com/technol...lement-labor-dispute-california-massachusetts

The $85,000,000 settlement hasn't been rejected, but it hasn't been approved by the judge. Then Uber has 6 months after it's accepted to change the policy. But since they already did add language to the tip policy favorable to drivers, that point is moot.

Uber Man Boston

Please post any news you find about this case. I'd love to read it. Love your profile picture. You are a true bostonian.

jack badly

The settled lawsuit is still new to many drivers and some drivers might not have been aware of this settlement. slowly and maturely, you will see more and more signs being putted up and pax will have to accept it .

Uber Man Boston

The settled lawsuit is still new to many drivers and some drivers might not have been aware of this settlement. slowly and maturely, you will see more and more signs being putted up and pax will have to accept it .
I already put mine. Feels good the extra cash. I buy pizza for my kids every Sunday with it.

BostonTaxiDriver

But...will Uber let newly-approved drivers know that it's now permissible to solicit tips? Or will it be the same 'ole. same 'ole?

I would think not, as they don't want to alienate even one pax.

It seems the new drivers, some of whom may not be news savvy on the rideshare world, may need to hear it word of mouth, or never?

Golfermack

...slowly and maturely, you will see more and more signs being putted up and pax will have to accept it .
I agree.

The ultimate goal is to get Uber to include the tip function in their app. As the attorney said in the video, if more (the majority) of paxs decide to tip, they will ask Uber for that feature in the app for convenience. Drivers can also request that feature to minimize the amount of cash they are carrying for safety purposes. I understand Uber listens to paxs request far more than drivers. But if both are asking for the same thing, then why should Uber resist?