• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber tests rewarding top drivers with extra pay, college degrees

BurgerTiime

Full story: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/11/01/tech/uber-driver-rewards/index.html
Uber, long criticized for its handling of drivers, is taking a serious step toward boosting their incentives.

On Thursday, the company announced Uber Pro, a driver loyalty program that offers perks ranging from extra pay and free online education to dent repair and gas discounts.

The program may help retain drivers, who often quit within a few months, research shows. Uber's drivers are independent contractors so they do not receive benefits such as health care or tuition reimbursement.

Starting Thursday in seven cities and all of New Jersey, drivers will earn points for the rides they give to qualify for four tiers of status. They'll also need a 4.85 rating and a cancellation rate of less than 4% to achieve either partner, gold, platinum or diamond status. The more rides a driver gives, the higher they rank.

Drivers in the top two tiers will receive a 3% or 6% pay boost depending on if they have platinum or diamond status. They'll also get tuition coverage at Arizona State University's online program. Tuition coverage can be passed onto a family member, too. Students will have to pay for their own materials, such as books and a computer.

Last edited:

Uber's Guber

You look at Uber’s current incentive programs and the difficulty it requires just to put another 10 bucks in your pocket, and decide for yourself if getting free college is easily obtainable. Another bullshit carrot stick to force you to tear up your car driving 90 hours a week.

Seamus

and a cancellation rate of less than 4%​

And therein lies the problem!!! So you have to cost yourself many dollars a year by displaying the stupidest ant behaviors possible! Sure I won't cancel on the guy who just told me he'd be out in 20 minutes, sure I won't cancel on the 12 year old that wants me to take him to the mall, sure I won't cancel on the drunken young man who just called me an idiot, etc.etc.etc..

Yes, I'll never cancel and allow myself to be abused and taken advantage of...I WANT MY REWARD!!! Does it come with a T-Shirt?

Uber's Guber

And therein lies the problem!!! So you have to cost yourself many dollars a year by displaying the stupidest ant behaviors possible! Sure I won't cancel on the guy who just told me he'd be out in 20 minutes, sure I won't cancel on the 12 year old that wants me to take him to the mall, sure I won't cancel on the drunken young man who just called me an idiot, etc.etc.etc..

Yes, I'll never cancel and allow myself to be abused and taken advantage of...I WANT MY REWARD!!! Does it come with a T-Shirt?
Well said!

just_me

I'll keep driving the way I drive. If I get a reward, then great. If not, then so be it.

just_me

You're all missing the best benefit of the new system... The top two tiers can see ride length and rider destination!
The top three tiers will see trip duration and direction on long trips, the top two tiers will see trip duration and direction on all trips - https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/1/18047746/uber-driver-high-performing-earnings-free-college-tuition-pro (duration is a time measurement).

The faster pickups at the airport is a nice plus too, btw.

(Thanks to Jdemonto for the article and the image below)

emdeplam

Uber just got tired of spending so much money recruiting new drivers. It had too since after 6 months drivers started to game the system and ruin the experience. Now Uber has found a way to reain a portion of the drivers

arcterus

You're all missing the best benefit of the new system... The top two tiers can see ride length and rider destination!
What difference does it make when you have to accept every ride.

Once the public figures this out, it's on.

Don't have a car seat for little Timmy? No problem.

Need an extra 10 minutes when your Uber's waiting outside? Happens to everyone.

Out partying with a group of five with open containers and want a ride? We've got you covered.

Just order an Uber and keep canceling until you get a "Pro-rated Driver". Rating and cancellation rate mean everything to them. They'll let you slide.

emdeplam

1. raise driver pay 25%.
  2. f# the rest of that BS.
  3. show destinations
Accomplishes nothing for Uber. Driver behavior would not improve. Games would increase. Uber needs drivers who like to driver not cherry pick, scam, surge only, or shuffle. Drivers in markets with higher pay do those things more often tofay

Zap

The top three tiers will see trip duration and direction on long trips, the top two tiers will see trip duration and direction on all trips - https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/1/18047746/uber-driver-high-performing-earnings-free-college-tuition-pro (duration is a time measurement).

The faster pickups at the airport is a nice plus too, btw.

(Thanks to Jdemonto for the article and the image below)

Looking deeper shows the strings attached to some of those perks. Looks like the Uber gas card is making a come-back.

upload_2018-11-1_16-56-28.png

EdOz

I have a middle ground acceptance rate and a very low cancellation rate. This is not hard to do folks. I will gladly take this as a step forward and keep pushing for more. Do note it’s not ACCEPTANCE rate. You shouldn’t have a high cancellation rate.

1.5xorbust

I have a middle ground acceptance rate and a very low cancellation rate. This is not hard to do folks. I will gladly take this as a step forward and keep pushing for more. Do note it’s not ACCEPTANCE rate. You shouldn’t have a high cancellation rate.
Yeah as long as you don’t cancel more than one out of every 25 trips.