1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber Tales of the 2017 Atlanta Airport Blackout

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Unleaded, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Unleaded

Unleaded Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I have created this new thread to provide the ability for anyone who found themselves involved in the 2017 Atlanta Airport blackout and who may have been “rescued” or inspired by an “Uber Angel” to speak about it.

December 18, 2017 was a day of utter chaos at the Hartsfield-Jackson- Atlanta Airpoirt, well known as the nation’s busiest airport on any given day. I arrived at the airport in an UberX and found darkness, pandemonium and uncertainty by the close to 10,000 passengers there. As a result of a major fire and power outage, the airport was completely shut down, all incoming and outgoing flights canceled, and those already on board aircraft on the tarmac were returned to the main terminal. Aside from the emergency lighting, there was no light, heat, landline or cell service, WiFi or any airport services.

Airport employees and TSA personnel were leaving to go home, leaving 10,000 passengers to find their own transportation and accommodation alternatives, limited to the extremely long waiting lines for the MARTA train and taxicabs. I went outside in the arrival terminal area, away from the concrete parking deck, to try to get a cell signal of any kind using my Uber app. Surprisingly, for just a few seconds, I received a response from an Uber driver who was still inside the airport pattern, as outside access to the airport had been closed off. She became my “Uber Angel”. She called and texted me to arrange a pickup in the Rideshare pickup area. Making my way to that lot in 10 minutes, my “Uber Angel” took me out of the airport to my requested location where I was able to make alternative arrangements to take me from GA to NJ.

If I had been able to give my “Uber Angel” 10,000 or more stars, rather than the maximum 5, it would have been my honor. In the aftermath of an extreme emergency which resulted in resolution, I thank Uber and again offer a heartfelt Thank You to my “Uber Angel” from The ATL for going above and beyond and that extra mile, and for being there when all else looked bleak. It was her wonderful deed of dedication, devotion and due diligence which truly inspired me to be the Uber driver that I am today, serving Uber riders as they are transported from their Point A to their Point B.

Again, Many, Many Thanks and Thanks again! As “you” read this posting, “You” will surely know “who you are” and to whom I am voicing my greatest and sincerest gratitude and appreciation.

2. Bluecrab

Bluecrab Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Appreciation and gratitude by posting on an Uber driver board?

Let me be the first driver to tell you, keep your 10,000 stars you wish you could give. A tip, in-app and by cash, is the best way to show appreciation and gratitude.

gbaby likes this.
  3. Unleaded

Unleaded Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Obviously you didn’t read between the lines. She definitely got a big in app and green cash tip, badges and positive driver accolades and comments in additional verbal praise. She received her “flowers” while she could still smell them. Nuff said.

4. Driver2448

Driver2448 Well-Known Member

Pics or it didn’t happen! ;)