Uber Drivers Forum banner

Uber takes more then 60% total fare in Columbia SC(rip off alert!)

1K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  yeahTHATuberGVL 
#1 · (Edited)
So about two months ago a message was sent out on the rider app that the ride fee was being raised in Columbia SC, this occurring after the rate was dropped from $1.75 a mile to .95 (no uber pool here). I saw this on my rider app as all of us know how transparent uber is and did not state this on the driver app. Drivers used to be able to see the rider fee that was taken out of the toll on your pay statement. Uber no longer makes this information accessible. Now they hide this information and put it on your tax return as funds received. Uber tries to make you pay taxes on this don't forget to deduct that part!

So after an update on my phone yesterday i noticed after my last trip the total fare appeared which normally it only states my portion and uber 20 Percent cut. The fare was $6.78. This is the amount that is billed to the customer with the extra ride fee that the driver does not get a part off nor normally even sees. Once i scrolled over it showed just the fare that is visible to driver which was $3.47 fare for 1.6 mi and 5 mins. my cut was $2.78 and ubers cut was .69 cents. Oh no uber is taking much more than .69 cents. That customer paid paid $6.78 for the fare which included the rider fee. Ubers real cut for the trip $4.00 mine $2.78. This is literally robbery and a scam.

They're taking Over 60% in Columbia when considering their extra taxes and rider fees. Uber hides what they actually bring in from the drivers which is more than the drivers make here in Columbia. It's a college town and once they dropped the rate in Jan and all the kids left in june they were making much less money so they increased the rider fee to make up for that loss profit without any consideration to the driver. I emailed them and they said fees are no longer in the pay statement and i would have to look at monthly tax report to see them. So i'm paying taxes on your fees too! Uber is Evil!

See less See more
#15 · (Edited)
Pool is like car pool the price is cheaper than x ...85 a mile you have to pick up other riders going the same direction as the first rider, all riders in your car split the ride and you don't get extra for picking up multiple people only uber benefits from multiple people you only get 75 cents a mile and nothing extra for extra stops! It's really bad for drivers! We have it in Florida and most of us drivers are ignoring pings ! It's driving around people for free! Stay away from it if it comes your way!

#11 ·
Good catch, Savannah is larger than Columbia by 9,000 people.
Well that's not really much of a difference. They're basically the same then.

I think what makes Macon and Athens work well is that they are geographically close to ATL.

Savannah works well because of the colleges and the beaches. Also, Hilton head is in the same market.

#14 ·
Every now and then I take a look at the smaller towns like macon, Athens, etc via rider app. They look like miserable places to work. Nothing but cars sitting on top of each other waiting for a ping that probably never comes.

ATL is very saturated, but at least we're spread out due to the large metro area.

I live on Canton rd on the Cherokee/ Cobb line and for some reason there aren't a lot of drivers online from Piedmont to shallowford rd area. Most people are either north or south of those areas.

Anyway, I'm going to keep doing eats while it's hot, no pun intended.

#17 ·
So about two months ago a message was sent out on the rider app that the ride fee was being raised in Columbia SC, this occurring after the rate was dropped from $1.75 a mile to .95 (no uber pool here). I saw this on my rider app as all of us know how transparent uber is and did not state this on the driver app. Drivers used to be able to see the rider fee that was taken out of the toll on your pay statement. Uber no longer makes this information accessible. does this now they hide this information and put it on your tax return on funds received. Uber tries to make you pay taxes on this don't forget to deduct that part!

So after an update on my phone yesterday i noticed after my last trip the total fare appeared which normally it only states my portion and uber 20 Percent cut. The fare was $6.78. This is the amount that is billed to the customer with the extra ride fee that the driver does not get a part off nor normally even sees. Once i scrolled over it showed just the fare that is visible to driver which was $3.47 fare for 1.6 mi and 5 mins. my cut was $2.78 and ubers cut was .69 cents. Oh no uber is taking much more than .69 cents. That customer paid paid $6.78 for the fare which included the rider fee. Ubers real cut for the trip $4.00 mine $2.78. This is literally robbery and a scam.

They're taking Over 60% in Columbia when considering their extra taxes and rider fees. Uber hides what they actually bring in from the drivers which is more than the drivers make here in Columbia. It's a college town and once they dropped the rate in Jan and all the kids left in june they were making much less money so they increased the rider fee to make up for that loss profit without any consideration to the driver. I emailed them and they said fees are no longer in the pay statement but i have to look at monthly tax report to see them. So i'm paying taxes on your fees too! Uber is Evil!
Uber will crash and burn if they keep this up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.