Uber surging on rider app but not paying drivers surge.

indydriver68

Is anyone else experiencing this is Indianapolis market ? Uber is charging 4x from downtown JW Marriot to the Airport. It is a normal $20 Fare. This morning it’s $78 plus and shows $1.50 on the driver’s app and where the Marriot is located there is nothing.

This has been going on since yesterday and literally has been no surge greater than $2 showing in a little spot like the pic I posted for the driver. And yes Uber has been charging riders surge prices as I would check the riders app for the usual hot spots to see.

Is it a glitch as I think Uber did a update Tuesday. The entire city went red surge for about 15 minutes or so which seems to happen when Uber does a update or is Uber just trying to @@@@ the drivers again ?

Attachments

• F2CD06B1-0FFE-4866-91BD-F13998A9704D.jpeg
    F2CD06B1-0FFE-4866-91BD-F13998A9704D.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 6CA09B6F-06FE-4289-81FB-36432BBEB2F6.jpeg
    6CA09B6F-06FE-4289-81FB-36432BBEB2F6.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Nats121

Is anyone else experiencing this is Indianapolis market ? Uber is charging 4x from downtown JW Marriot to the Airport. It is a normal $20 Fare. This morning it’s $78 plus and shows $1.50 on the driver’s app and where the Marriot is located there is nothing.

This has been going on since yesterday and literally has been no surge greater than $2 showing in a little spot like the pic I posted for the driver. And yes Uber has been charging riders surge prices as I would check the riders app for the usual hot spots to see.

Is it a glitch as I think Uber did a update Tuesday. The entire city went red surge for about 15 minutes or so which seems to happen when Uber does a update or is Uber just trying to @@@@ the drivers again ?
It's not a glitch. The rider app tells the customer that fares are a lot higher than usual due to high demand.

Yours is the umpteenth example of how Upfront Pricing is an absolute ripoff.

DO NOT accept any rides while that ripoff is going on.

TheDevilisaParttimer

You musta didn't get your Uber beginners gift basket.

Anyway here you go, oh and make sure to breath. Breathing is important

RightZigzagGalapagossealion-max-1mb.gif

The Gift of Fish

My app has been paying me extremely low rates too. Must be a glitch.

ohnos

Seen this in the past just to rip off people.
They don't come out and tell you this is one way to make extra money while you think it's a glitch.

Cdub2k

Uber isn’t required to give the driver any part of the surge. I’ve seen several rides in my history where the Rider was charged 3x the normal min fare rate ($7 x 3= $21) but I saw none of it. I made my typical $3 min fare on those rides and thought nothing of it because there was no surge on the map.

Uber’s been doing this off and on for years. They are an exploitive company being supported by our local governments. Ever since Uber ended their 80/20 partnership with their drivers stuff like this has gradually become the norm. And the other aspect of this is your riders will think you are making big time money too. On that example I explained in the above paragraph they probably thought I made $21 on a little 2 mile ride. So naturally they won’t tip because who would tip someone making 20 bucks for 2 mile runs?

WindyCityAnt

Its not a glitch!

They know your trends of accounts. Only to take away any surge from your routine. Another example of manipulation to work more hours for them. Hope it helps.

I heard here from another fellow ant one time....

Keep the algo, fat, drunk, and stupid works best! 👌👍💪

indydriver68

Uber isn’t required to give the driver any part of the surge. I’ve seen several rides in my history where the Rider was charged 3x the normal min fare rate ($7 x 3= $21) but I saw none of it. I made my typical $3 min fare on those rides and thought nothing of it because there was no surge on the map.

Uber’s been doing this off and on for years. They are an exploitive company being supported by our local governments. Ever since Uber ended their 80/20 partnership with their drivers stuff like this has gradually become the norm. And the other aspect of this is your riders will think you are making big time money too. On that example I explained in the above paragraph they probably thought I made $21 on a little 2 mile ride. So naturally they won’t tip because who would tip someone making 20 bucks for 2 mile runs?
I understand. While Uber doesn’t have to share the surge. I don’t have to do the trip either. Just called the rider at the Marriot and told them Uber was screwing them and to cancel the ride quickly so they didn’t get charged and wait 10 minutes and it would be back at normal fare and to be sure to complain to Uber that they were taking advantage of riders and drivers during the COVID crisis. @@@@ Uber !!!

Disgusted Driver

There might be something new going on as well. This week I have noticed in the rdu market that surge never seems to exceed $2 and there will be light dustings of $1 or $1.25 if there's any surge at all. Way less and lower than previous. I'm thinking they've changed the algorithm to screw us even more.

SuzeCB

It's been happening since 2017.

Boca Ratman

The last two weeks or so there's been a lag on the surge. The rider app will be showing 2 - 3 × reg price and nothing on the driver's app. Then as The price comes down on the rider app, it starts showing on the drivers app.

Just a little while ago, here, it was $1.50 on the app and pax price was almost 3x.

Driver app went up to $4 and pax app price dropped to under 2x

Driver app went up again. To $6.50 and the pax app dropped to regular price.

Its been at least two weeks like this, a several minute lag.

Cdub2k

I understand. While Uber doesn’t have to share the surge. I don’t have to do the trip either. Just called the rider at the Marriot and told them Uber was screwing them and to cancel the ride quickly so they didn’t get charged and wait 10 minutes and it would be back at normal fare and to be sure to complain to Uber that they were taking advantage of riders and drivers during the COVID crisis. @@@@ Uber !!!

Uber sends you Trip Requests that you decide whether to Accept them or Decline them. Uber is not an ethical company. Don’t pity your Passengers if they don’t like the prices Uber is quoting them they can easily call a Taxi-Cab. And that Taxi-Cab driver’s price will still be equal to if not greater than what Uber is quoting them.

The difference is that Taxi-Cab is actually making a profit because their rates are fixed to make a profit. The Uber Driver, on the other hand, is taking it up the ass because Uber is gobbling up most of the profits. Calling around and warning cheap skates that Uber is raising their dirt cheap 1950’s cab prices up to 2020 cab prices (i.e. it’s surging) does you no good and will drive you to the insanity ward.

indydriver68

Oh I don’t pity the riders getting charged the surge. I just don’t want Uber to make 3x or 4x the fare and me as the driver get none of it. So if able to get the rider to cancel and wait it out then Uber doesn’t get paid on it either. If I am getting paid $6 or $7 flat rate on it with an opportunity to get surge adjusted higher if a longer trip then I am all for it. I love surge! Just don’t love it when I’m not getting any of it!

IRME4EVER

How else are they gonna get richer?? Screw the driver's BINGO!! No glitch Uber knows exactly what they are doing. I have done the updates and have several issues later. I live in AZ but Uber sent me a trip in Chicago, WTF? I tried to cancel but they gave me -1 cancellations. A-S-S-H-O-L-E-S.

WindyCityAnt

How else are they gonna get richer?? Screw the driver's BINGO!! No glitch Uber knows exactly what they are doing. I have done the updates and have several issues later. I live in AZ but Uber sent me a trip in Chicago, WTF? I tried to cancel but they gave me -1 cancellations. A-S-S-H-O-L-E-S.
So true!

Denver Dick

There might be something new going on as well. This week I have noticed in the rdu market that surge never seems to exceed $2 and there will be light dustings of $1 or $1.25 if there's any surge at all. Way less and lower than previous. I'm thinking they've changed the algorithm to screw us even more.
little to no surges in denver also...about 2 weeks ago they went away

Another Uber Driver

Fubar has been doing this for some time, especially since Charlotte Surge went nationwide. Now, if the surge factor is 1,2 or 1,3, it charges the customer a multiplier, but, the driver gets ZERO. When you see the blue zones on your map,. the rider is paying more but you still get base rates.

WillDrive

It's not a glitch. The rider app tells the customer that fares are a lot higher than usual due to high demand.

Yours is the umpteenth example of how Upfront Pricing is an absolute ripoff.

DO NOT accept any rides while that ripoff is going on.
Yep, I'm done too. Won't drive during surge hours knowing they are screwing us over. Let them use rookies with beater cars that don't know their being screwed over. All the best drivers log off during high demand hours. Same pay working slow hours now. 8 AM to 4 PM going forward. Nice change I guess. I recommend all drivers with this knowledge not drive busy hours to reward this change.