Uber Supports Theft By Passengers

thurston

Following Uber's advice, I supplied phone charger cables. Recently a passenger (college kid, natch) stole one. That annoyed me, so I submitted a reimbursement claim. Here's Uber's response:

"I understand your concerns for your personal item that went missing after this trip. Unfortunately we do not reimburse for personal items that are removed from your vehicle. We also do not contact the alleged rider who took the trip where the item may have gone missing. We expect drivers to secure all personal items during times when you are logged in to take trips.

If you do file a police report regarding this situation you are welcome to do so, but we will not be able to provide you any personal information regarding the rider, as our privacy policy does not allow us to disclose this information without their consent."

Shorter version: "If our customers commit crimes against our 'partners', we support the criminals. "

KevRyde

Its the cost of doing business....you can write off the purchase
I've eliminated that cost as well as any risk of theft by no longer providing charging cables.
I've done over 5,000 rides in 1.5 years, and I'd estimate less than one percent of my riders have asked if I have an aux cord (one rider recently asked about bluetooth). On the rare occasion that a rider asks if I have an aux cord, I simply say no. If they press for DJ service, I mention that I have SiriusXM and ask if there's a satellite station they like. If a rider gets smart alecky on me, I give it right back with either my "this is UberWalmart - we'll be lucky if I don't run out of gas" or "you must have me confused with UberBlack" line. I normally keep my XM radio tuned to The Coffee House. It's a channel that that I enjoy and one that seems to offend the least number of riders. I used to provide an iPhone charging cable, but I got tired of having to replace them after riders would leave them laying on the floorboard to either get wet if it's raining or snowing or for the next rider to step on and damage. My rating has never been lower than 4.81 or higher than 4.86. In my experience, most riders in the Denver market seem to get that at the current rates, they need not expect anything more than a safe and efficient ride from point A to point B.

thurston

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Actually, I’ve decided to leave the cords in, but if an Uber pax asks for it I say “Sorry, those are for Lyft passengers only. Uber policy forbids your using them.” When they ask “why?” I say “liability issues.” When they say “That’s crazy!”, I say “I agree” and hand them a Lyft referral card. I’ll recoup the cost of the cord from Lyft referral fees.

the rebel

Actually, I’ve decided to leave the cords in, but if an Uber pax asks for it I say “Sorry, those are for Lyft passengers only. Uber policy forbids your using them.” When they ask “why?” I say “liability issues.” When they say “That’s crazy!”, I say “I agree” and hand them a Lyft referral card. I’ll recoup the cost of the cord from Lyft referral fees.
You better hand out a ton of referral cards in a hurry as it will not take long for one of your passengers to sent a nasty note to Uber and you are deactivated.

Driving and Driven

Following Uber's advice, I supplied phone charger cables. Recently a passenger (college kid, natch) stole one. That annoyed me, so I submitted a reimbursement claim. Here's Uber's response:

"I understand your concerns for your personal item that went missing after this trip. Unfortunately we do not reimburse for personal items that are removed from your vehicle. We also do not contact the alleged rider who took the trip where the item may have gone missing. We expect drivers to secure all personal items during times when you are logged in to take trips.
"
Charging cables are not personal items. They are the tools of our trade. Regardless, theft is theft. Uber should require reimbursement from the pax, at the very least.

Flarpy

You could file a lawsuit against a "John Doe" and then subpoena the pax record from Uber and then substitute the pax for the Doe defendant. Not that you would, but that's how you'd do it if it were a major item.

thurston

[QUOTE="Regardless, theft is theft.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. We put up with a lot from Uber on the grounds that it's just business. But this seems to cross the line from commerce into aiding and abetting criminal conduct.

mattadams

I have a charging cable in mine, but it plugs in in the front... I've heard of some people walking off with them (maybe on accident, maybe on purpose) but they aren't walking off with mine... :smiles:

Jimmy Bernat

I have a charging cable in mine, but it plugs in in the front... I've heard of some people walking off with them (maybe on accident, maybe on purpose) but they aren't walking off with mine... :smiles:
That's the way to do it, I have a lighter socket in the back seat but just keep a dual charger with an iphone and Android cable in it. The center console closes and keeps it in there.

thurston

Mine was likewise plugged into the front console, but a good hard yank was all it took for him to remove it -- at a red light, so he could bolt.

Frontier Guy

I've now started to pick and choose who uses it, had a pax last night going to DIA, let them use it, later on had a pax going 10 blocks, told them someone else stole it. I used to have it plugged in up front, but the cable didn't reach to the back so it was a problem.

Frontier Guy

I have both a 1 amp and a 2.5 amp USB charger, so in 10 blocks they might get quite a bit of charge, depending on traffic, but, unless they have their own, still not using it.

The Ombudsman

One solution would be to use zip-ties to secure any cables part-way to the interior of the car somewhere (maybe to something under the seats) so they can't be just yanked out. Just got to have long enough cables so there's enough play to make them still useable from all seats.

I haven't yet had any such issues, but now I'm pondering doing just this myself to be safe. Only cable issue I've had is some kid hopping in my front seat (one of three pax), grabbing my aux cord, plugging it into his phone, flipping my radio to the aux feed and pumping his noise. No asking if he could do it, no nothin'. Not gonna let that happen again.

FYI you can buy a three-pack of 6ft Lightning cables off Amazon for just a few bucks.

Coloradical

I've eliminated that cost as well as any risk of theft by no longer providing charging cables.
Same here! No cables, no water, no candy, nothing but a clean ride and a nice driver. On very rare occassions I'll let someone use my lightning cable, but it has to stay up next to me!

While I was focusing on traffic on one trip, a young woman sitting up front stole $5 in cash tips I had in my front cupholder. Another stole my trade dress from my window. I was like, really? Nothing of value remains in plain sight now.

I had a pax take my charging cord. Knew exactly who it was and when they were using it.

I submitted a both fare review/and unpleasant rider report - and changed rating to 1. Then attached a screenshot of my Amazon replacement purchase (was only $4.60) and a photo of the empty socket (for whatever purpose that served.)

They credited me the 4.60 on the first round, no escalation. No idea if it pax was notified.