1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber Sued By The Disabled

Discussion in 'News' started by TwoFiddyMile, May 9, 2017.

1. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Two Disabled individuals are suing Uber for not being able to get an Uber.

Although Uber has launched a program for people with disabilities to use the car-hailing service, the program is not available in all the markets in which Uber operates. Two people who use wheelchairs have filed a lawsuit against Uber alleging that Uber has violated Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the California Disabled Persons Act and California’s unfair competition law.

According to the suit, the two plaintiffs are unable to use Uber because the company doesn’t enable them to request cars that are accessible to people with wheelchairs in Jackson, Mississippi.

“As a result, persons with disabilities in Jackson have no ability to call a wheelchair accessible vehicle or a specially trained driver through the Uber app,” the lawsuit states. “Even if there are drivers on the road who have such a vehicle or training, there is no way for Jackson users with a disability to find a trained driver or accessible vehicle through the app.”

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/09/uber-lawsuit-people-with-disabilities/
    ---------------

Travis should just file chapter 11 now...

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2017
  2. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    He will pay them off. The lawyers will get most of the money. The people in the wheelchairs still will not get a ride.

3. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

Do taxis have to give disabled people rides ?

Jcewr17, charmer37, ColdRider and 4 others like this.
  4. Kalee

Kalee Well-Known Member

Of course they do. That's why Uber is being sued.

phillipzx3, NYCY, melusine3 and 6 others like this.
  5. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Wheelchair.jpg Wheelchair.jpg

It varies of course, not everywhere is equal...

Some places require as much as half their taxis are equiped.

Orlando has a % that the companies need but i can't remember what it is...

Uber will lose this lawsuit, they have no way to comply other than by subbing out to cab companies, who if they were smart, would tell uber to F- OFF...

All it takes is for the cab companies to conspire against uber for them to get thrown out of a city when the ADA cracks down on them.

melusine3, grams777, Ms.Doe and 4 others like this.

6. Kodyhead

Kodyhead Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberLUX
    there are advocates I am sure in every city and all they do is go to businesses and report them for discrimination for people with disabilities. You will often notice in many restaurants, they have designated tables with sufficient aisle space and also ramps in addition to bathrooms that can people with disabilities can use.

melusine3 and TwoFiddyMile like this.
  7. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

they are going to have to subsidize the XL people to install ramps in their cars for them

melusine3, iUBERdc, grams777 and 4 others like this.
  8. Brooklyn

Brooklyn Well-Known Member

How many drivers will do it though? what makes Uber attractive to many drivers is they can use their personal cars and not have to rig them up with all these sorts of stuff.

charmer37, melusine3, iUBERdc and 2 others like this.
  9. Kodyhead

Driving:
    UberLUX
    Probably very few s these vans are tough to get I would imagine even if used, but I can imagine some, with very long request times and distances. I would imagine with some skills in a decent area, you probably will be very busy since you basically won't have competition. Especially in retirement meccas.

melusine3 likes this.
  10. Brooklyn

Brooklyn Well-Known Member

Well I'm in NYC and there doesn't seem to be as a high demand for WAV vehicles compared to how many there are.

Also don't forget your job would basically be slowed down.. in the time you can finish 2-3 trips you'll be doing 1.

11. Kodyhead

Driving:
    UberLUX
    Out of curiosity how are the rates? Even with the slow down, I would imagine it would be like luxsuv or ubersuv working less but more per ride. If you are good prearranging rides It can't be that bad as you should be guaranteed a round trip with simple communication and a pax who would actually appreciate the effort if you did that. Probably will need to violate a bunch of stuff with Uber TOS by prearranging rides but again, I am sure the pax will be in debt to you for the most part if you are reliable. You might be able to make a good living just doing 2 round trips a day depending on distance and time of course.

This sounds absurd to me, and since I respect your opinion, think it might be a typo, but if true could you elaborate? Are we talking wheel chair vans or is there some other kind of certification or modification I don't know about?

12. Mears Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    Yeah some places have requirements on taxi companies to have X% of their fleet is wheelchair vans. The company i drive for uses ones very much like the pics i posted, and inside the van they have straps for strapping down a wheelchair for people who can't transfer.

NYC is 50% by 2020 and London (UK) is 100% by law.

Both of these are very high, usually the % is around 10-20%, for the life of me i Can't remember what Orlando's % is. Something is making me think 10%

melusine3 and iUBERdc like this.
  13. Kodyhead

Driving:
    UberLUX
    10% seems reasonable to me, but 100%? am I missing something here or can these minivans have convertible seats where they can operate as regular mini vans easily? Is this based off just the minivans or large suv cars or total fleet?

Termie likes this.
  14. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    A liberty van of course can operate as a regular taxi. You lose some seating capacity but 95% of the pax a WAV van carries are non handicapped.

tohunt4me and iUBERdc like this.
  15. Mears Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    100% is Europe being europe. 50% is high, most cities wouldn't push for that much.

The mini vans with the conversion i posted can only seat four, or 5 if someone is strapped down/in a wheelchair.

They do however have killer cargo space, you can fit like 10 suit cases plus 4 sets of golf clubs easily.

But after the conversion they can only seat 4 passengers, your absolutely right.

For the cabbies here in Orlando they are a huge advantage to drive because about half give or take, of the fares that require a van are only because of cargo issues, not because of the number of passengers. Also during daylight hours there's tons of medical account cab fares that go every day, that involve transporting someone in a wheelchair.

So two people on tag team with a wheelchair van can make amazing money as long as they can get along... (2 people paying $1000 a week total to rent a taxi)

If $1000 seems ridiculous that $1000 is virtually all the cut the cab company gets off them for the week. It comes out to $6 an hour to rent out the car, whereas they are getting $25-35 per hour for 150+ hours they can keep it on the road. (Yes $3,500 a week, take $1000 or 1100 for the car, 300-400 in gas or tolls and your easily looking at 1000+ for each driver a week)

They will do this all busy season long and put probobly a good 110,000-130,000 miles a year on the car. Meaning they will burn out the car completely and hit 500,000 in 3 1/2 to 4 years tops.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    tohunt4me, Bean and uberdriverfornow like this.
  16. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Jackson is a fairly large city.
    A lot of it is in Urban decay.
    This service Should be available.
    When will Uber learn paying Drivers is more effective than paying off lawsuits !?

Yes.
    And taxi companies have vans with power wheelchair lifts and wheel chair ramps !
    $40,000 plus each,with an 8 year life span before replacement in my city. No vehicles over 8 years old can be used.
    I saw a great deal on a Toyota wheelchair van 2016 . . . 16,000 miles,but a rebuild title.
    Can't use for Uber.
    ( all wheel chair vans are Actual rebuilds because they are custom constructed, often with lowered center chasis floors, higher roofs, and hydraulics to lower vehicle to decrease ramp angle)

Uber wants to get away with paying a driver x rates to run a handicap van.
    UNSUSTAINABLE !!!
    The equipment is more expensive.
    Loading and unloading is extremely time consuming !
    You get the cost of running a van,without the xl capacity,for the payment of an x economy vehicle !
    .A LOSING PROPOSITION FOR A DRIVER NO MATTER HOW YOU APPROACH IT !..

UBER MUST PROVIDE IF THEY WANT TO STAY IN BUSINESS !.
    MAN UP UBER !
    PAY DRIVERS !

I like the side entrance models.
    Try laying out a ramp behind the van in New Orleans !
    You will be killed or arrested or both at once !!!.
    To begin with,you would NEVER find a parking space that long !

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  17. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Most cities require that each taxi company has a percentage of vehicles on the road that can accommodate the disabled.

I for one think your insurance should cover the cost of a wheelchair ramp conversion kit/labor or whatever else you need to be able to operate your own vehicle. (besides the actual vehicle). I mean, they give cover power scooters and such. For those who dont have insurance, they will have medicaid anyways.

I don't think a company should be required to provide x amount of vehicles though. There are many, many "mobility transportation" companies around town that medicaid pays for.

18. tohunt4me

I have looked into it from every angle.
    Its not economically possible with Uber rates !
    I would like to offer it.
    I am not a " part timer", so I would be available for 12 hour blocks of the day !

It can not be done on Uber !
    Uber pays far too little !
    Uber expects far too much for offering NOTHING !

charmer37, Xanvel, melusine3 and 6 others like this.
  19. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    I guarantee you these two individuals WILL NOT take the money they get from a lawsuit/settlement and re invest that money to start their own transportation service that caters to handicap individuals/much less get some wheels for themselves if they are somehow able to drive with some kind of modification.

I would gladly buy a handicap van if I were to get paid more per mile than your regular uberx ride. Of course, this would be unfair to the customer. But these customers should be well aware how much more a wheelchair accessible van is, thus why they can not afford it themselves. (unless of course they are blind or something)

“Even if there are drivers on the road who have such a vehicle or training, there is no way for Jackson users with a disability to find a trained driver or accessible vehicle through the app."

I just hope every driver knows that the majority of wheelchairs are foldable and will easily fit in 4 door sedan's trunk and don't hesitate to ask the customer "How do I make this fold" They will gladly tell you how. You do not need to be trained. (Although it may be a wise idea to watch a couple videos on you tube about how you can lift a patient from a wheelchair to car, just so you dont hurt yourself, if the need arises)

The couple of riders I have picked up in wheelchairs though were pretty self sufficient and did not need my help lifting them. They have crazy upper arm strength.

Xanvel, Lelekm, JasonB and 1 other person like this.
  20. tohunt4me

The ONLY economically feasible approach to it is to buy at auction a 16 passenger cutaway van/ truck bus with turbo diesel(20-22 mpg) XL capacity ,power chair loader( good for tight spots,also has intimidating size and " official look")
    Then you could achieve fuel economy,XL CAPACITY,and have room for up to 5 power chair passengers with floor strap downs.

Attached Files:

Bean, TwoFiddyMile and Trebor like this.