1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber... still full of ****

Discussion in 'Philadelphia' started by Hans GrUber, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Hans GrUber

Hans GrUber Well-Known Member

IMG_0229.PNG IMG_0230.PNG

It just blows my mind how even after TK departure, acknowledging their fractured relationship with drivers, pledging to change it, and promising translucency, they still try so hard to manipulate us in such an obvious manner. By "obvious", I just mean that anyone with half a brain should see through it, but they really think we are dumb. Enclosed is a surge map. For those unfamiliar, the DE beaches are basically three separate areas bookending 2 separate, barren stretches of highway. As you can see, the surge peaks on these stretches of wasteland and ripples towards the hub of the beaches. So you glance down, see blood red, and where Uber is saying you are going to get a 2.6x, you are actually going to end up getting like a 1.6x, if lucky. Just another example of Uber being dishonest as hell and why I can't stand them. When will they learn?

IMG_0231.PNG

That tail on the NW surge? Nothing. Not even a ROAD. It's like the PHL bull****, but that was impossible to miss and I understood why they wouldn't want to surge PHL. I've noticed this before a bit in PA, but the relatively tiny area of DE beach makes it particularly noticeable. Bastards.

disp350 likes this.
  2. Hans GrUber

Bar close... no surge... Saturday night... bombarded with pings as soon as I log on... 18 minutes to get an Uber... I don't understand... I just don't get it.
    IMG_0234.PNG

3. Ardery

Ardery Member

wow, look at all the pretty colors :)

MEANS NOTHING.

today I was in the middle of 2 different blood red Bryn Mawr surges. different times of the day.

nothing. NOT ONE PING. either time.

Hans GrUber likes this.
  4. Hans GrUber

Look, while that is frustrating, we also have to understand that pax WILL wait out surges. So it's very possible you were within a half mile of 3 pax who were in no urgent rush that were more than happy to be prudent. Uber can't force pax to order. If you pulled up pax app the pricing would, more than likely but there is a delay, reflect that surge. Like I said, frustrating, but I can at least appreciate economics enough to understand that can happen.

What I'm talking about is Uber surging "areas of high demand" when there is LITERALLY none. Like that surge trail in the image I shared, the only way you are getting that surge is if someone has a boating accident and washes ashore. When Uber is surging an area like that at a 2.8 and the neighborhoods one hexagon over are not, that's blatant misrepresentation of demand. That's so when we glance at the phone we see red and think there's significantly more money to be made. And red... known to evoke aggression. Not only in people but bulls, as well. That's right. We are literally being treated like animals.

We aren't ants, we are ****ing cattle and we keep marching towards the slaughterhouse. As long as we keep acting stupid and falling for their misrepresentations, they will treat us as such. As long as we keep picking up pax at base rates on a Saturday at barclose, where I literally took screenshots of 42 requests while the closest Uber was 18 minutes away, they will continually pay us base rates. It's so frustrating that drivers aren't outraged.

I really think I might organize a strike here

5. bobby747

bobby747 Well-Known Member

I don't know I had a great Saturday nt. And I got. Surge too at close

6. Ardery

Ardery Member

where were you? the beaches? or Philly area?

7. VictorD

VictorD Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeah, Bobby. Where were you? Philly? Shore? What neighborhood? What street? Which block? Where did you park to get those pings?

o_Oo_Oo_O

H8uber921 likes this.
  8. bobby747

CC from 1pm till 7.30 pm non stop. Wells surged due to event. Camden surged 3 plus as many just went thier to tailgate.. and could not get back..
    Victor tip no parking...

9. DelaJoe

DelaJoe Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You guys don't understand. Uber sees that there are not enough cars in an area so it generates a surge to move cars. The maximum surge on these generated fake surges are in areas where there are no people so that customers do not get hit with a surge fare when it is not busy. Sometimes this backfires and you do get a request on a fake surge.

The end result is there are enough surge chasers out there that they get the mission accomplished and get cars moved to an area.

At 1AM last night I can't tell what was going on. There should have been surge. The only explanation is that Uber can see cars that are offline and decided to screw over the drivers last night. It could be some shmuck with admin rights and he or she could be toying with us.

I know we got plenty of surge for about 40 minutes down in OC and I did catch a 4x and a 3x before it all went away.

10. A T

A T Well-Known Member

Reading this forum at this point is comical anymore.

11. bobby747

joe i like you. as a full timer you are not correct in alot of things about surge.
    1 sat afternoon wait times were so bad customers who took pools..i dont take told me wait times were double, every rider i dropped off i got another within 1 min....with with quest crap. i HATE QUEST..why does phl surge in deer country..same reason. UBER IS ON PURPOSE CHEATING THE DRIVERS WITH HOLDING BACK SURGE 90% OF THE TIME..at train station why is thier a giant cab line...giant uber line 1 car in the Q ... and lyft is prime plus 200...ITS UBER ...THEY ARE ON PURPOSE HOLDING BACK ON US AND charging customers more money...i hate to say it as i chatted lyft. i will do some lyft starting next week....i am an uber guy but when i see 10 mins wait in CC at 5 am and no surge..its telling this guy. its only going to get worst...over 8 k in rides and i seen it all. lucky i can fight and still do above avg...sat i did good...

Uber sees that there are not enough cars in an area so it generates a surge to move cars.

at phl and during concerts to move cars to south phila and phl to deer country thats just fraud in my opinion as . they are moving cars close to area of need . not area of need. thats kids bull****...partner hahahaha. i am not angry. just tired of the way they do things. and i got to be in top 5% xl earners....for ytd every year . cabs 2.50 soon us 1.15 wow..
    you your answer are always great ones and true.. but when they are caught rigging the market place with no surge as surge is what demand with uber has been about. this is wrong of them.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Yulli Yung likes this.
  12. socializehealthcare

socializehealthcare New Member

I don't get surges but I do tend to get some long ass rides on friday/saturday nights. I think the pay range for a typical saturday night, during the summer, in philadelphia, as an uberx, is 14-20 an hour. It's totally unrealistic to shoot for anything beyond that at current rates. On saturday and sunday afternoons, it's more like 12-14 an hour. I think this is all pretty common knowledge. If you're above or below those ranges, you're doing something very right or wrong - if you're within them, then welcome to the game. They have us gaming each other; where we set up, strategies for getting back to certain places. And that's where a lot of the variability comes from. This week I worked 39 hours fri-sun. 544 after gas profit. 40 in cash tips, 16 in tips on capp. So 600 for 39 . that's 15.38/hour. Seems about right. I worked all the prime hours this week though. And yeah, I think people are prudent about waiting out surges, becoming more prudent; too many horror stories maybe, idk. It'd be nice if we could get a rate hike.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Jesse36 likes this.
  13. Robert finnly

Robert finnly Member

Lets do it

I never got 1 surge and i been in the red alot

14. tato_ghe

tato_ghe New Member

What happened to me this evening in Wayne seems to be just another facet of the same. Wayne-Villanova was surging at above 2x when I just dropped off a guy at Conestoga. haven't checked exactly but must have been 2x+ by the color of it. I'm sitting right in the middle of it. I got one pool request from Haverford and 2 uberx requests from Conshohocken. All of them non-surge. But nothing from the surge area itself. I've let those time out. Then the surge was gone, and no single request came for an hour and a half, until I finally decided to relocate and moved towards West Chester.

The question is, if those pax were waiting out the surge, then why no requests came after the surge vanished? Either it was all fake, or it was caused just by 3 dudes, and I was not lucky enough to be closer than other drivers.

15. nm339242

nm339242 Well-Known Member

Again today with the wildlife surge. I was nearby so I turned off Uber and went to Wawa with Lyft on. It took a few minutes to get a request and by the time I did the Lyft surge was gone but I don't care. I thought I was sticking it to Uber. Until I peeked at the Uber app and saw the fake surge took the queue from 2 to over 20 (close to midnight hence the low number). I know I'm preaching to the choir but this is why it won't change. Why should they give a fair surge if the drivers will chase the non-surge?

Although when the queue was at 2 I was mad enough to go online on Uber and just not accept non-surge requests. Two of them came through before I just went offline.

16. bobby747

nm got to watch with phl uber banned a friend of mine from phl only..he had to go to green hub to fix it...but i think he was canceling alot..passing by i think is ok...but that wildlife surge is total bull****....if i was a travler surge would be 3.0 if i needed a car. hech 1 yr ago at 12am i could not get a uber x in trenton coming from asia by ewr train.....cheaper to uber home $140 what a mistake i made that night..after 14 hours on plane..brain gets cloged....$120 uber x plus tip to ewr great deal....airport van is $65 each now $130..dam thing stops everywhere

17. nm339242

nm339242 Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't cancel unless I have to. I don't play games with that because it isn't fair to the passengers. They don't have anything to do with Uber games.

18. bobby747

sad but true...i used to. but i found a way..just dont work there. just work everywhere else if you hate waiting to go to CC for $12 s/philly for $8 or less. my thing is u need so much an hour for the week. my $ per hour this week is great considering things are off this week. and uber is playing no surge game

19. tato_ghe

tato_ghe New Member

So, this is why I was getting those non-surge requests from PHL while being 7 miles away in Springfield. lol

nm339242 likes this.
  20. bobby747

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.
    rather than make customer they want you to drive free 5 miles to get customer . give them candy /water /say hello and be nice/ and give to $15 to drive to CC basically

acknowledging their fractured relationship with drivers, pledging to change it, and promising translucency, they still try so hard to manipulate us in such an obvious manner. By "obvious", I just mean that anyone with half a brain.................................
    well written noble peace prize...botton line philly style they are screwing us daily...
    fractured relationship (broke)
    manipulate (screw)
    your words are 2 kind

tato_ghe likes this.