• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber & Spotify partnership. Slap to the face of Uberdrivers

scrurbscrud

The driver pays if the Uber Partner app is on their own phone. It's in the FAQ (see below).

Since this is normal quality, figure about one cent per minute of streaming based on a $10 per GB data plan (1 MB per minute at Spotify normal streaming rate).

http://blog.uber.com/In-App-Music

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I use my own device to run the Uber Partner App. How much data will music use?

If you use the Uber Partner app on an Uber-provided phone, the data will be covered by the subscription fee. If you use the Uber Partner app on your own device, the data for Music could be an additional cost. This integration uses the “normal” quality option for streaming. Learn more about Spotify’s data usage here. We’re working closely with wireless carriers to offer discounted or zero rated music data plans (much like the plans that are currently available to consumers). Partners currently have access to discounted phone plans with carriers like AT&T and Verizon, and we are in talks to expand these discounts in the coming months. Keep in mind that enabling rider music is optional.
Spotify will only be available in my ride during surge and with XL fares.

No net $2.40 ride to me will be sucking my gig data account to boot, period.

chi1cabby

"
How will this affect Turn by Turn Navigation?

Voice navigation will not be available when Music is enabled."

So your rider will have his tunes, and you will need to stare at the screen to get directions! And, the driver gets to pay for the data!

Rider gets his tunes, but possibly less safe ride.
Uber gets their name in the news.
The "partner"/driver gets the annoyance and may end up paying to boot!

This seems like a well hyped solution to a problem that did not exist!
This explains the nitty gritty of the Spotify setup:
No Voice Navigation.
Driver pays for the Spotify data. Perhaps BYOD Drivers should ask Uber to now pay $10/week in Data Subscription Charge!

Last edited:

HisShadowX

I figured everyone here would be pissed off by this. Man this post is just jiving with ideas for a new forum post tonight.

scrurbscrud

Here is a link to Spotify website introducing the Uber + Spotify promotion: https://news.spotify.com/us/2014/11/17/uber/
From Uber Blog https://get.uber.com/spotify/

" It only takes a minute to set up. Choose any song from the Spotify catalog or set a playlist before your trip begins. Either way, it won’t use any data"

Good, bad, indifferent...don't know? It's another Promotion. There will be more to come.
It probably won't use data from the pax end. That MAY not be the case from the drivers end. If it does use driver paid data, then shame on Uber. And shame on them also if we have to pay for Spotify premium service.

This setup can easily be end run by drivers simply making their own hookups available. And most pax play their own phone held music anyway. Seldom do they want streaming from anyone. They want their one or two pet party songs on short drives to the next bar/club to keep the party on.

Courageous

I have no smart phone...my car is bluetooth enabled though. I use Uber's phone.

Unless Uber were to work out something with my carrier to provide the streaming music free (when I do give in and finally get a smart phone)...I would NEVER pay for any data used by a passenger...never.

LA Cabbie

This is proof that Uber has no consideration and zero respect for the drivers. It's all about satisfying the elite of society who see Uber nothing more than modern day slaves to be their gofers (go for this go for that) OR to the drunks as robots programmed to provide them cheap transportation.

Allowing passengers to control a driver's sound is extremely dangerous and uncomfortable. Before I get to why, I guarantee you if you don't provide this amenity to your passengers they will rate you one. Let's face it, Uber is engaging in illegal, immoral and unethical activities and they made if official! By that, I mean the passenger thinks that drivers are employees of Uber. Most people and youngsters in particular have no concept of independent contractor status. They think you are like a McDee's worker. They make a special offer, say free toy with purchase of value meal and the person behind the counter has to comply. As Independent Contractors, when we accept the call or in ridesharing lingo, ping, your duty is to take passenger from point A to point B in the safest and most efficient manner. Everything else is your personal choice. If Uber does not like that, then they need to add you on their payroll with hourly salary and health benefits. Coincidentally Uber head hancho Travis Kalanick 'loves' Obamacare. So any of you expecting to be classified by Uber as employees, forget about it!

As to why allowing passengers to control your sound system is dangerous: These drunks fresh out the bar, will blast their demonic music as loud as they possible can while all along getting jacked up to the beat. This is very unsafe for several reasons:

1) If you have more than 2 passengers, they will bang their heads, shift their body to the music, when driving a car, especially a Prius at high speeds, this will cause the car to lose control.

2) Your back window view will be obstructed because these guys would be jumping up and down, moving right and left in the backseat.

3) You can't hear your surrounding. Folks, this one is very important, only way to know Motorcycles are coming, or worse, in a state like CA where they can legally split lanes and pass by your side inches away, the only sure fire way to know of their passing is hearing their motor. Most accidents involving motorcycles and cars is because the car driver does not notice at all there is a motorcycle in their surrounding.

4) This is almost as important as the above, depending on the music played and how loud, you can mistake it for external sounds. Example, a horn or a crash, or screeching of brakes, or even pedestrians yelling. All this will cause you to lose focus and perhaps hit the brakes thinking something horribly went wrong but not then you get rear ended.

Not to mention emergency vehicles. You hear them before you see them. When I drive cab late at night, many times the police or ambulance would have their lights on but no sirens, I pass by an intersection and all of a sudden see a police cruiser or ambulance fly right in front of me. Three in the morning, emergency drivers do not anticipate any one on the roads, so they blow through intersections with no regards. If you had loud music and people diverting your attention, it could be a very ugly outcome...

5) If you had a passenger in the seat next to you, chances are, you already have at least 3 in the back and they are rocking it out. The guy in the front probably drunk will mess with your radio/dashboard. Obviously this will mess up things and cause you great aggravation and confusion.

As a cab driver, if people request the radio, I comply, but I keep the music low so it is not all the distracting. If the passengers get to taken away by the music, I simply turn it off. In the can industry, if a passenger dares to physically take over our sound system with out permission, we move their hands away from the radio and scold them with 'this is not a night club' .

Travis Kalanick effectively turned the passenger into a DJ and your car into a night club!

Seriously Uber drivers, to Travis, this is one big game and Travis is having the time of his life. Driving Taxi is the most unfulfilling, depressing and dangerous job out there. In any round up for top 10 worst jobs, we show up, most times in top 5, and I think a couple of times we won first place. This is nothing to brag about!!! Our job is more dangerous than police officers and the electricians who climb hundred foot towers dealing with 120k volt wires and lumberjacks sawing gigantic trees God knows where. The pay is worst than that of a fast food worker or even an illegal immigrant working the fields for $5 an hour. And the feeling you get after you drop off some banker at a upscale eatery for brunch where they order $40 meals while you get $2.42 or party goers at a swanky hotel that you couldn't afford if you Uberred around for 2.42 years (think the only exception here is Optimus Prime :wink:) is just the worst feeling imaginable.

In my honest opinion folks, passengers did not dump taxi because Uber is cheaper, better, and safer like Mr. Kalanick would like us to believe, but because drivers can get away with far more shenanigans with you than with us. I picked up a customer the other night from a bar that used to call us before Uber came along, he was so drunk that he could not get the Uber app or even his phone to work. For the 15 minute ride, all he said was how great Uber was because I couldn't procure for him prostitutes and weed.

Imagine if I was to get rated???

Last edited:

duggles

The good news is, when you get into an Uber accident now and Uber insurance won't cover you, you can hire that TV lawyer and claim that the accident was caused by the rider's ability to control the radio/music. Could make a case that Uber was liable and endangered everyone in the car and you had no choice.

HisShadowX

The good news is, when you get into an Uber accident now and Uber insurance won't cover you, you can hire that TV lawyer and claim that the accident was caused by the rider's ability to control the radio/music. Could make a case that Uber was liable and endangered everyone in the car and you had no choice.

Highly doubtful in major cities it's apart of many city regulations and laws the passanger of a cab has the right to change the station to his or her choosing.

However there is no law anywhere that cabs have to take the hit for data so a client can listen to their own premium music channel. Only radio is covered

UL Driver SF

I assume this was why they asked if you have an Aux input and Aux cable recently.

I have let pax play their music via the car stereo since i started.

Not via Bluetooth or Aux by via a USB cable.

Much easier than trying you sync up a phone to Bluetooth.

Though reading this thread many Uber drivers are incompatible with any service occupation.

Only allow pax to play music if on Surge?

Expectations all the time for tips.

Want better rates?

Get a better car.

And move up to an Uber catagory that pays better
Now see....the USB option I like. But I don't have it. It is quick and works well. There are still potential privacy issues but that's ok.

UberLuxbod

Not sure what Privacy issues in different circumstances.

But in my XJ the stereo has remembered every iPhone I have connected to it.

The only CD stored on my stereo harddrive is James Blunt!

Obviously my stereo is 3yrs old so not the latest tech.

scrurbscrud

Guess we figured that one out huh?

"If you use the Uber Partner app on your own device, the data for Music could be an additional cost."

Thanks Uber and Spotify!

Gee, I WONDER if this could be the reason Uber pimped to unload their company supplied phones and drivers thought they might save a few pennies?

Good grief these guys are so predictable.

Robert G

It is innovative for them to provide this service, but in the end with drivers having to use their own data with no compensation of any kind. I will still be an uber slave and offer this service because I need the money to pay off debt.

UberLuxbod

Why would the driver use their own data?

If the pax wants to connect to the car stereo to play some tunes then I have no issue with that.

If they want to use Spotify that is also fine.

But my phone and the Uber phone are for me and my work.

Though I regularly use the Uber iPhone as a wifi hotspot if an Uber pax needs to use their laptop.

DriversOfTheWorldUnite

Why would the driver use their own data?

If the pax wants to connect to the car stereo to play some tunes then I have no issue with that.

If they want to use Spotify that is also fine.

But my phone and the Uber phone are for me and my work.

Though I regularly use the Uber iPhone as a wifi hotspot if an Uber pax needs to use their laptop.
well part of your work now is paying for your passenger's music data. Aren't you thankful? :smiles:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Perth 0
U San Francisco 2
theMezz Advice 0