Uber & Spotify partnership. Slap to the face of Uberdrivers

Pascal O.

I feel this, and many actions prior to this, conveys what Uber's priorities are. While your drivers are complaining of wear & tear on their cars w/ low pay, falling demands w/ saturated markets, unfair ratings from entitled & often rude & disrespectful passengers, Uber in their board meeting room where everything is made of gold & diamonds [exaggerating here :wink: ] asks "how can we improve the experience of these already SPOILED pax? Lets make them control the music in our Uberslave's cars thru a Spotify partnership! Great!"

http://www.dailydot.com/business/uber-spotify-app-integration/

Really Uber?

I can see it now:

pax: "Hey (driver's name), I want to play my music in your car, do you have an aux"
driver: no sir/ma'am, but I have the radio if you like
pax: never mind (then the pax gives the driver a 1-star) :frown:

In another scenario, since I do happen to have an aux in my 2011 Honda accord, I can see these entitled pax asking me to turn up the volume to their favorite song to a level I am not comfortable driving w/ and then giving me a 1-3star rating just because I didn't let them "turn-up" (this means party really loud) :cool:

My point is Uber should get their priorities in check. In my early days, about 3 months ago, I used not mind pax controlling my music since I do have an aux & bluetooth. But with the list of Uberdriver issues now, it's my music or no music.

Most of my riders like my music & often compliment it but am not looking forward to pax doing $6 ($4.80 after Uber's cut) trips asking to control my music. You better TIP :rolleyes:

Last edited:

scrurbscrud

I feel this, and many actions prior to this, conveys what Uber's priorities are. While your drivers are complaining of wear & tear on their cars w/ low pay, falling demands w/ saturated markets, unfair ratings from entitled & often rude & disrespectful passengers, Uber in their board meeting room where everything is made of gold & diamonds [exaggerating here :wink: ] asks "how can we improve the experience of these already SPOILED pax? Lets make them control the music in our Uberslave's cars! Great!"

Really Uber?

I can see it now:

pax: "Hey (driver's name), I want to play my music in your car, do you have an aux"

In another scenario, since I do happen to have on aux in my 2011 Honda accord, I can see these entitled pax asking me to turn up the volume to their favorite song to a level I am not comfortable driving w/ and then giving me a 1-3star rating just because I didn't let them "turn-up" (this means party really loud) :cool:

My point is Uber should get their priorities in check. In my early days, about 3 months ago, I used to be all for pax controlling my music & all since I do have an aux & bluetooth. But with the list of Uberdriver issues now, it's my music or no music.

Most of my riders like my music & often compliment it but am not looking forward to pax doing $6 ($4.80 after Uber's cut) trips asking to control my music. You better TIP :rolleyes:

This particular issue is the makings of a LOT of potential law suits. Bad move on Uber's part. It's hard enough to get the drunks home without being distracted by their perpetual disturbances and the times when one tolerates the music because of SURGE. But it is both highly distracting and annoying as all hell. Just a vehicle full of loud obnoxious drunks is punishment enough. Adding LOUD music (what's next? Video games played at ear bursting sounds?) only adds another UNSAFE condition for the drivers.

scrurbscrud

I don't get it, at best they can make your Uber phone play music, they have no control over the car radio unless the driver allows if in on way or another.
I will admit to already shopping for a portable bluetooth speaker (that I can control the vol. on) that would be possibly available at certain surge rates only (or a monetary contribution:wink: ) More than likely just for surges though. Keep 'em distracted so I don't have to listen to their mostly vile spew. Many the sexual life bullshit spiels has been off the charts recently. I had one pax apologize recently because it was both real and pretty stupidly vile. God some of these women are ignorant.

DriversOfTheWorldUnite

I will admit to already shopping for a portable bluetooth speaker (that I can control the vol. on) that would be possibly available at certain surge rates only (or a monetary contribution:wink: ) More than likely just for surges though. Keep 'em distracted so I don't have to listen to their mostly vile spew. Many the sexual life bullshit spiels has been off the charts recently. I had one pax apologize recently because it was both real and pretty stupidly vile. God some of these women are ignorant.
Your passengers are talking to you about their sex life? Yeesh. People just aren't as classy as they were around 50-60 years ago.

scrurbscrud

Your passengers are talking to you about their sex life? Yeesh. People just aren't as classy as they were around 50-60 years ago.
I try to mind my own business and that seems to foster a pax mindset that they can talk about anything. I'd be ashamed to have anyone hear the kinds of conversations I've heard. These people have no self respect whatsoever. That's part of why I'd consider music even if semi-loud to be kind of a driver blessing. I just have to have vol. control

Pascal O.

I don't get it, at best they can make your Uber phone play music, they have no control over the car radio unless the driver allows if in on way or another.

Firstly, Uber is integrating the Spotify app into the passenger & driver's Uber app -- w/ the driver's phone connected to the car speakers. Hence, the pax can control the music from their Uber app wirelessly.

Secondly, such a move increases the passenger's expectations of an Uber driver. Which will cost drivers in the long-term -- especially those whose cars don't offer an aux since we are talking about cars btw 2005-2015 in most markets -- as they could get lower ratings & thus be deactivated.

Uber knows that we Uberdrivers are nth but a revolutionized form of taxi drivers. Thus, if they wish to make us go the extra mile by recommending we:
  • offer to charge the client's phone
  • water, snacks and the lot
  • texting & calling passengers (even though the app already notifies them of our arrival)
  • keep a clean & neat car
  • & soon "allow the pax to become the DJ's of the car"
Uber needs to pay the drivers accordingly. Don't drop fares, allow an influx of drivers into the various markets and claim higher demand while still expecting a Gold Star customer service. There is sth called "overhead cost" & as of this writing, the drivers are paying thru their noses & thus making little to no profit.

Why drive if you can't make $$? Unless this is a hobby in which case I wish I were THAT financially comfortable:cool:

Yes we do have the right to deny a request for the pax to control the music but that could end up being the difference btw a 5-star vs a 2-star ratings from a pax.

Do you get it now?:frown:

Last edited:

pengduck

I feel this, and many actions prior to this, conveys what Uber's priorities are. While your drivers are complaining of wear & tear on their cars w/ low pay, falling demands w/ saturated markets, unfair ratings from entitled & often rude & disrespectful passengers, Uber in their board meeting room where everything is made of gold & diamonds [exaggerating here :wink: ] asks "how can we improve the experience of these already SPOILED pax? Lets make them control the music in our Uberslave's cars thru a Spotify partnership! Great!"

http://www.dailydot.com/business/uber-spotify-app-integration/

Really Uber?

I can see it now:

In another scenario, since I do happen to have an aux in my 2011 Honda accord, I can see these entitled pax asking me to turn up the volume to their favorite song to a level I am not comfortable driving w/ and then giving me a 1-3star rating just because I didn't let them "turn-up" (this means party really loud) :cool:

My point is Uber should get their priorities in check. In my early days, about 3 months ago, I used to be all for pax controlling my music & all since I do have an aux & bluetooth. But with the list of Uberdriver issues now, it's my music or no music.

I don't have to offer Sh*t I am and independent contractor. Just ask Uber!

Tx rides

This particular issue is the makings of a LOT of potential law suits. Bad move on Uber's part. It's hard enough to get the drunks home without being distracted by their perpetual disturbances and the times when one tolerates the music because of SURGE. But it is both highly distracting and annoying as all hell. Just a vehicle full of loud obnoxious drunks is punishment enough. Adding LOUD music (what's next? Video games played at ear bursting sounds?) only adds another UNSAFE condition for the drivers.
Our company has always tried to keep our rules and regulations at a minimum for our clients, but we actually had to create a loud music policy for our minibus, because too many passengers were creating a dangerous environment for all. We left this policy in place for all vehicles. The sound control is totally up to the driver. As is the responsibility to not be endangered.

I have already had a couple of drivers ask if we are going to put an exception in play for the new BMW which has a kick ass surround sound system for the entertainment center :-)

scrurbscrud

Our company has always tried to keep our rules and regulations at a minimum for our clients, but we actually had to create a loud music policy for our minibus, because too many passengers were creating a dangerous environment for all. We left this policy in place for all vehicles. The sound control is totally up to the driver. As is the responsibility to not be endangered.

I have already had a couple of drivers ask if we are going to put an exception in play for the new BMW which has a kick ass surround sound system for the entertainment center :smiles:
I think we all understand that if the PAYDAY is right we WILL put up with a LOT from pax.

Tx rides

I think we all understand that if the PAYDAY is right we WILL put up with a LOT from pax.
Fine line between annoying and flat out dangerous. Admittedly, The difference with our model of business is we don't solicit clientele which would put a driver or other passengers at risk, there is that

scrurbscrud

Fine line between annoying and flat out dangerous. Admittedly, The difference with our model of business is we don't solicit clientele which would put a driver or other passengers at risk, there is that
You don't run the same market and probably wouldn't EVEN be interested in that segment. It's not pretty work that's for damn sure.

Tx rides

You don't run the same market and probably wouldn't EVEN be interested in that segment. It's not pretty work that's for damn sure.
We did more with the bus when we provided shuttle type service. Now that our first town car is aging out, we do have some drivers interested in some of the cheaper runs. Since we let our drivers keep the cars at home, we would only do the on-demand Runs if we have a steady centrally located driver base.
Even when we start this, we will not be pursuing the 2 AM drunks. I feel zero obligations to deal with them. I managed a nightclub, and I suppose we were old-fashioned, the idea of pouring liquor down everyone's throat until closing time and opening the floodgate was just irresponsible. Now it seems the bars, the public, the city officials, etc. believe that these drunks are entitled to cheap on-demand service. I don't :-)

duggles

Thus, if they wish to make us go the extra mile by recommending we:
  • offer to charge the client's phone
  • water, snacks and the lot
  • texting & calling passengers (even though the app already notifies them of our arrival)
  • keep a clean & neat clean car
  • & soon "allow the pax to become the DJ's of the car"

All of these are services that should be rewarded with tips. Do this for your Lyft riders and the tips will likely be significantly higher. @@@@ your Uber riders who have no option to tip and do NOT offer any of these services.

If you get emails from Uber about this new Spotify option, reply to them that when they add in-app tipping you will be happy to offer additional services.

Beachbum in a cornfield

I don't do the post 10 PM thing either....mostly because the level of snot increases with the onboarding of booze. The other is that those hours here in Indy present an abundance of those sweet (non compensatory) 5 dollar trips. NO THANKS.....I will do 10 30 dollars trips instead of 30 10 dollar trips all week long. Uber needs to put down the bong and start paying attention. Marketing through word of mouth worked very well initially but that train has left the station. It's time to invest some money into this golden egg laying goose. I sense a "smartest guy in the room" mentality from Uber mgt. and that aint gonna cut it if they want to take this thing beyond start up to established alternative to taxis. They need to understand that drivers are the ones with skin in the game and should be treated accordingly. That will take some better cooperation and communication between Uber and it's rolling assets. Either that or somebody else will. If Uber thinks that this job market they surf which provides an abundance of drivers will last forever then they need to think again. First one to treat drivers as professionals wins all the marbles.

Pascal O.

All of these are services that should be rewarded with tips. Do this for your Lyft riders and the tips will likely be significantly higher. @@@@ your Uber riders who have no option to tip and do NOT offer any of these services.

If you get emails from Uber about this new Spotify option, reply to them that when they add in-app tipping you will be happy to offer additional services.

I only listed those as the "expectations" of Uber. Personally, I:
  • offer a phone charge (if they are nice & not cold/demanding)
  • play music via bluetooth from my iPod (unless they say no music -- which has only happened once)
  • keep a clean car (I am a neat person regardless & my ratings would dip)
I NEVER offered water or snacks as I felt that never made any sense. Moreover, I stopped offering gum when I noticed pax would often leave the wrapper hidden behind the front seats in the magazine/holster compartment -- that was so insulting:mad:

Just for the record, my rating as of this writing is a 4.87 so I know all the other "extras" aren't needed:cool:

duggles

I NEVER offered water or snacks as I felt that never made any sense. Moreover, I stopped offering gum when I noticed pax would often leave the wrapper hidden behind the front seats in the magazine/holster compartment -- that was so insulting:mad:

When I offered gum, I would also offer to take the trash from the wrapper but they would seem insulted, telling me they would put it in their purses or pockets. I would still find them in the door handles then.