Uber software tracks drivers for high speed, sudden stops

Sam023

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/u...rivers-high-speed-sudden-stops-101307460.html

I don't know what to say. If Ubers makes a deal with insurance companies to share this information in exchange for some type of insurance cover for us. Would you still drive for them? I am sure UBER will have no problem with that. As far as they care, they will be active in Toronto and making money.

If that happens, soon other insurance companies will start to demand that we all carry some sort of device or phone while we drive. This is not new after all because insurance companies have tried to do this in the past.
They will demand that if we dont have this device active and somethings happens they would not cover you.

I am pretty sure that provincial government will have no problem giving insurance companies the green lights.

Uber really dont care about the drivers or why would they come up with something like this.

Token44

Interesting read. Especially the last paragraph of the linked article.

Uber says it's testing the new features in a handful of large cities. About half of its drivers in each test city will get the new software, so the company can compare their behaviour with the half that don't receive the notifications. After two months, the company says it will evaluate the results and decide whether to expand the programs.

I wonder if that could be the same half that got the destinations feature (which I don't have) or vice versa.

Doesn't say if it's only recording these things while the app is running and online, or all of the time in the background.

UberZF

Well.. if app is "Force-Closed", then it cant really record....
Or is it using telemetry data the Phone is capturing on its own :O

Harry70

Software is Thier; I have used it on my phone ; tracks fast acceleration; hard brake: timings I drive; hoe many kilometers I drive; and I don't know what more ; desjardins provided me with the software to install it to get future rebates based of on my driving pattern

Last edited:

grams777

Author
Makes it look more like an employer monitoring employees. Maybe they should worry about background checks first rather than supervising every aspect of our driving.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/smal...ependent-contractor-self-employed-or-employee

Common Law Rules
Facts that provide evidence of the degree of control and independence fall into three categories:
  1. Behavioral: Does the company control or have the right to control what the worker does and how the worker does his or her job?
  2. Financial: Are the business aspects of the worker’s job controlled by the payer? (these include things like how worker is paid, whether expenses are reimbursed, who provides tools/supplies, etc.)
  3. Type of Relationship: Are there written contracts or employee type benefits (i.e. pension plan, insurance, vacation pay, etc.)? Will the relationship continue and is the work performed a key aspect of the business?
Determination form:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss8.pdf

Last edited:

Karem

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/u...rivers-high-speed-sudden-stops-101307460.html

I don't know what to say. If Ubers makes a deal with insurance companies to share this information in exchange for some type of insurance cover for us. Would you still drive for them? I am sure UBER will have no problem with that. As far as they care, they will be active in Toronto and making money.

If that happens, soon other insurance companies will start to demand that we all carry some sort of device or phone while we drive. This is not new after all because insurance companies have tried to do this in the past.
They will demand that if we dont have this device active and somethings happens they would not cover you.

I am pretty sure that provincial government will have no problem giving insurance companies the green lights.

Uber really dont care about the drivers or why would they come up with something like this.
Personally I have not problem being tracked. I don't speed and don't sudden stop. I take my time driving as I'm eating my shawarma :smiles:

SEAL Team 5

So the breathalyzer and ankle bracelet aren't too far away. Uber Parole coming to a rideshare community close to you.