Uber shuts downtown L.A. office, laying off about 80

jocker12

Uber has closed a customer support office in downtown Los Angeles, laying off about 80 employees, The Times has learned. Without advance notice, staffers were informed Thursday their jobs would be offshored to a large customer support office the company maintains in Manila, according to sources who asked to remain anonymous for fear of losing severance.

In a recording the Times obtained, Uber manager Ruffin Chevaleau acknowledged that the meeting was called on short notice before delivering the news.

“We have decided to close the downtown L.A. office and we will be moving the outreach and innovation work to our Manila C.O.E., where we can continue to support the business as it grows,” she said, using an abbreviation that means Center of Excellence, the in-house term for customer support hubs. “I know that this is a shock. This meeting is to inform you all that today is the last day in this office.”

The employees were mostly customer support staffers who were paid hourly and focused on driver outreach, with tasks such as processing documents, resolving account issues and explaining incentives and promotions. (Uber considers both drivers and riders its “customers” and supports them out of the same department.) Chevaleau told the workers they would receive severance packages and could apply for jobs within Uber and meet with a recruiter. She said the company would also cover relocation for those who found jobs in other Uber offices.

GoldenGoji

In fairness to the Philippine call center representatives, I find them to be much easier to understand majority of the time, than call center reps from other parts of the world. But it does suck for the employees in LA who got sacked. Damn, it's not just drivers who are getting disposed off like Dara's used condoms, even actual Uber employees get the same treatment. :cryin:

mbd

Cost of doing business in CA is too high.
Would you rather pay 500$/month or well over 6000/month to a LA employee?
Cal is good for high tech workers/ medical field and govt employees, rest will struggle.
Politicians all have looted the state 😁enjoy😁
Post automatically merged:

DriveLV

Chevaleau told the workers they would receive severance packages and could apply for jobs within Uber and meet with a recruiter. She said the company would also cover relocation for those who found jobs in other Uber offices.
... She also suggested the former employees sign up immediately as drivers for Uber. And everyone in the room died from laughter.

The End.

goneubering

Cost of doing business in CA is too high.
Would you rather pay 500$/month or well over 6000/month to a LA employee?
Cal is good for high tech workers/ medical field and govt employees, rest will struggle.
Politicians all have looted the state 😁enjoy😁
Post automatically merged:

Dara is once again cutting costs as he must do to show a profit. This is just a small drop in the bucket but it shows the right trend as he’s done previously with other layoffs.

Amsoil Uber Connect

Wow ! :eek: Really

Now it would be nice if 2 or 3 of them came here and told us what really went on behind the sceens.

Wonder if I can convince someone at the OC hub to reactivate me.

Last edited:

everythingsuber

Dara is once again cutting costs as he must do to show a profit. This is just a small drop in the bucket but it shows the right trend as he’s done previously with other layoffs.
It’s odd the previous lay offs have left Uber losing 1.1 billion dollars In the best quarter of the year. It doesn’t change. These jobs are just being shipped off to Manila savings will be minimal and offset by increased Inefficiencies.

Dara is clueless. His current solution to dealing with Ubers the losses is to misrepresent them in it’s quarterly reports through a very suspect method of reporting losses using EBITDA.

DriveLV

Without giving the appropriate notice, it seems to me that Uber has broken the law, again.

This could be costly to Uber.
As dumb as many of Uber's decisions are, I doubt their HR folks/attorneys missed this (especially since it's the law in their HQ state). It's common for companies to walk people out the door (to prevent sabotage/ill will during the notice period) but instead keep them on the payroll as employees without showing up to work - until the WARN period is over. I'd imagine that's probably what happened here.

BadYota

People always want increased minimum wage and this is what happens. Everybody isnt going to get a raise, theyre going to get a pink slip. Just wait till $15 an hour min. The lowest skilled workers will lose their jobs.