Uber sends barrages of pings during deliveries to hide restaurants from drivers

Nats121

Uber consistently sends me MORE delivery pings while I'm on a delivery than when I'm idle, often times MUCH MORE. It happens pretty much every time I do Eats.

I believe the reason is that Uber is trying to HIDE as many restaurants as possible from the drivers.

As all Eats drivers are aware, when we receive pings during deliveries, no restaurant shows on the map.

They know that savvy drivers avoid certain restaurants, and their hope is that drivers will accept orders sight unseen and be reluctant to cancel the order, even if it's a restaurant they normally avoid. I cancel anyway.

Not only does uber hide the restaurant, they deliberately understate the ETA to the restaurant.

It's yet another way that uber treats the drivers like employees.

OneRideOneVomit

They do this way more the last 2 months from what I can tell. Especially with large mcd's orders that one driver has already cancelled on. You can sometimes see where the restaraunt is if you zoom out the map while the ping is coming in. Usually a mcd's. I had 2 yesterday I avoided because I zoomed out and saw the location.

Nats121

They do this way more the last 2 months from what I can tell. Especially with large mcd's orders that one driver has already cancelled on. You can sometimes see where the restaraunt is if you zoom out the map while the ping is coming in. Usually a mcd's. I had 2 yesterday I avoided because I zoomed out and saw the location.
I've tried zooming the map and nothing shows, and anyway, playing with the map while driving thru busy areas with lots of pedestrians (and jaywalkers) isn't the best idea.

In my experience, it's usually not McD, but when it is McD, often times the order has a shitload of large drinks. Some drivers cancel McD orders if they have more than 2 drinks.

Last edited:

OneRideOneVomit

I've tried zooming the map and nothing shows, and anyway, playing with the map while driving thru busy areas with lots of pedestrians (and jaywalkers) isn't the best idea.

In my experience, it's usually not McD.

I agree but if I'm at a light which I am stopped at often I can sometimes zoom out and see where it's at which is very valuable info.

Invisible

In my experience, it's usually not McD, it's some shit restaurant with long waits and time-consuming deliveries.

I never look at the map even when it shows. I get those secret pings for places I normally decline, such as a bar where the food isn’t started until I arrive or one of the few McD’s I won’t go to.

Nats121

I agree but if I'm at a light which I am stopped at often I can sometimes zoom out and see where it's at which is very valuable info.
In my market, good and bad restaurants are often side by side, which requires me to zoom in during pings to make sure it's the good restaurant.

YourFoodIsGettingCold

Not only does uber hide the restaurant, they deliberately understate the ETA to the restaurant./QUOTE]

Nailed it!
In my market they also overstate the distance to next pickup as well. As I am approaching the drop off, the ping comes in stating the next pickup is 8 mins away probably 90% of the time. This happens even when the restaurant is less than a mile down the street and rarely is the restaurant an actual 8 mins distance from the drop off. Although it could mean 8 mins from where I received the ping.

I accept and cancel alot these days because it's better to have your next delivery and not need it than to need one and not have it. Lol

Uberbrent

Ok...looking at this logically. If you are doing a delivery, maybe it’s at a busy time and more pings happen simply because it’s dinner time.

Invisible

Ok...looking at this logically. If you are doing a delivery, maybe it’s at a busy time and more pings happen simply because it’s dinner time.

For me it’s happened during the days. I can barely get dinner runs because too many drivers on.

AM8585

Uber consistently sends me MORE delivery pings while I'm on a delivery than when I'm idle, often times MUCH MORE. It happens pretty much every time I do Eats.

I believe the reason is that Uber is trying to HIDE as many restaurants as possible from the drivers.

As all Eats drivers are aware, when we receive pings during deliveries, no restaurant shows on the map.

They know that savvy drivers avoid certain restaurants, and their hope is that drivers will accept orders sight unseen and be reluctant to cancel the order, even if it's a restaurant they normally avoid. I cancel anyway.

Not only does uber hide the restaurant, they deliberately understate the ETA to the restaurant.

It's yet another way that uber treats the drivers like employees.
????? Just accept the ping and then check the little 3 line menu bar thing and it will show you what restaurant it is. You can cancel it seconds later if you don’t want to go.

iSeee

i just wish they would give us a general idea of the drop off location so im not driving 7 miles deep into rush hour traffic that will take an hour and then 1 hour back....which by then the food will be cold and i get a bad rating ...i dont care about total mileage and exact address of the drop off just a general idea

Nats121

????? Just accept the ping and then check the little 3 line menu bar thing and it will show you what restaurant it is. You can cancel it seconds later if you don’t want to go.
I'd rather not cancel too many rides. No one knows how many cancellations are "too many".

YourFoodIsGettingCold

I'd rather not cancel too many rides. No one knows how many cancellations are "too many".

The accurate number is 0. Cancel all you like, Uber doesn't suspend you or deactivate you. Besides this is the model THEY'VE chosen. There would be less cancellations and acceptances of course if they provided detailed info about each delivery, but they would rather get one over on their "delivery partner". I sometimes accept and drive a quarter mile and cancel because of a change of heart. No harm no foul. Someone will pick it up, eventually.

Rickos69

I sometimes accept and drive a quarter mile and cancel because of a change of heart. No harm no foul. Someone will pick it up, eventually.
You are obviously unashamedly copying me!!!
I have dirty thoughts of accepting loads from restaurants that I know I won't do and leave them accepted for a while before cancelling to make the next driver show up later. Even though by doing that, I also push back my next ping.

vickilmp

it happens when its busy, and not quite enough drivers to go around to slow things down.. i PREFER to have this, as it keeps me busy, little to NO downtime, and i make more money. and like someone said, you can look and see the place you got pinged for,while you are still on that current trip, its not hard to find... if dont like it, cancel.

Nats121

it happens when its busy, and not quite enough drivers to go around to slow things down.. i PREFER to have this, as it keeps me busy, little to NO downtime, and i make more money. and like someone said, you can look and see the place you got pinged for,while you are still on that current trip, its not hard to find... if dont like it, cancel.
Funny how it always gets "busy" while I'm on a delivery and quiets down when the delivery is completed.