Uber Drivers Forum banner

Uber seems to seriously want us to quit.

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  HotUberMess 
#1 · (Edited)
I made $80 last night, less gas costs. 10 hour shift and 200 miles. They've increased the ordering radius and that means regular trips of 10 miles or more. Orders take an hour to complete, 3x the gas, and few tips are forthcoming. Looks like this is their way of moving the tip cash we were making into their pockets.

Granted I realize people are getting fed up with Uber. They have totally run their rep into the ground and people (liberals and moderates especially) are starting to hate them. Practically all my orders now are from students and people in hotels, next to no orders from the wealthy neighborhoods anymore. I affirmed that one restaurant in particular now hardly gets any Uber Eats orders, which that may have to do with the warmer weather but this restaurant was busy in the fall too, so there must be more to it.

Last night they moved the Cincinnati boost zones to the wealthy areas, as opposed to the downtown and colleges areas. This would have been sensible except 1) they kept the boost in those areas overnight, despite the fact that all the restaurants but a couple McDonalds close there by 11PM, and 2) there were next to no requests from anywhere but McDonalds in the boost areas. Apparently they were doing a McDonalds promotion, and people were buzzing requests like mad, including to one establishment that was closed. I took 1 order in the daylight, but by sundown the drivethru was always backed up 9-10 cars. It was a mess.

By far the greatest indignity, though, was the "quest". 15 orders in 10 hours for $25 (enough to offset the gas price increase!). Previous quests in this area have been attainable, usually genuine incentives spread out over several days or a whole week. But this one seems particularly designed, in light of the radius increase, to be something not everyone who tries for it succeeds at. Most conspicuous of all, you make additional money if you make 2 more orders over the threshold. Of course this could just be a bid by Uber to weed out the delivery only people with old cars (like me) from their force, as it wouldn't hurt UberX, etc. drivers quite as bad I wouldn't think.

See less See more
#4 ·
It’s a viable side gig, nothing more, at least in this market. With the right strategy and vehicle, you might make a go at it FT, but you’re always only one, 1*, “driver was impaired” fake complaint away from unemployment.

I’ll continue my rant for the 6 people that actually read this forum - Unemployment is 4%. Every van in Cincinnati has a “Help Wanted” ad on the back of it, as does nearly every restaurant, and half of the hotels. Want to drive instead of doing one of those things ? Then shut up, and drive.

#5 ·
I've never received any boost or quest for eats or rides (granted I've only been driving since January). I thought they were non-existent here due to the market. I did get the "Drive for the Derby this weekend" emails for boost/quest in Louisville, but certainty was going to running back and forth down there and back all weekend.

#10 ·
Curious - what would categorize a "longtime driver"? I've been driving P/T as a side gig for just a year (since mid-May 2018).

I was fairly pleased last summer, pulling around 8 to 9 hours on a Friday night (6p to 2a or 3a) for around $150 gross, same with Saturday. Over the winter earnings seemed to rocket up, February and March saw $400 to $500 weekends as a norm. Now that Memorial Day has come and gone, looks like the $150 to $200 per night rate is back. No complaints, though.

#8 · (Edited)
UberEATS lost a lot of resteraunts when they switched from a standard delivery charge of $4.99 and started basing the delivery cost on how close you were to the place you are ordering from. That is there own fault and it should have never been done IMO, and a lot of the resteraunt owners I have talked to ha e all said the same thing.

I’ve been with UberEATS since the beginning and when it first started in Cincinnati even tho there wasn’t many resteraunts available we made ALOT of money, then they cut pay and added the boost and other promotions.. for a while it was hard to justify working because the costs outweighed what we made but now if you plan ahead and work the high boost times and areas (which is now everywhere) you can make quite a bit of money, esp. Friday and Saturday nights. I wouldn’t be doing it if it wasn’t worth it believe me, and sure there are times I May go out when the boost rates are lower but only during the busy times of the day and I have got it down to where it actually is profitable.

1.5 years and almost 5000 deliveries.. I will never quit unless they drop the promotions and it becomes non-cost effective to do the job.

#9 ·
UberEATS lost a lot of resteraunts when they switched from a standard delivery charge of $4.99 and started basing the delivery cost on how close you were to the place you are ordering from. That is there own fault and it should have never been done IMO, and a lot of the resteraunt owners I have talked to ha e all said the same thing.

I've been with UberEATS since the beginning and when it first started in Cincinnati even tho there wasn't many resteraunts available we made ALOT of money, then they cut pay and added the boost and other promotions.. for a while it was hard to justify working because the costs outweighed what we made but now if you plan ahead and work the high boost times and areas (which is now everywhere) you can make quite a bit of money, esp. Friday and Saturday nights. I wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't worth it believe me, and sure there are times I May go out when the boost rates are lower but only during the busy times of the day and I have got it down to where it actually is profitable.

1.5 years and almost 5000 deliveries.. I will never quit unless they drop the promotions and it becomes non-cost effective to do the job.
I heard after 5000 deliveries, Uber gives you a WKRP Plague, and a w/e with lonnie anderson?

#12 ·
Curious - what would categorize a "longtime driver"? I've been driving P/T as a side gig for just a year (since mid-May 2018).

I was fairly pleased last summer, pulling around 8 to 9 hours on a Friday night (6p to 2a or 3a) for around $150 gross, same with Saturday. Over the winter earnings seemed to rocket up, February and March saw $400 to $500 weekends as a norm. Now that Memorial Day has come and gone, looks like the $150 to $200 per night rate is back. No complaints, though.
Longtime means anyone who remembers when drivers were paid twice as much and vocally complains about it on forums like this one LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.