Uber seeks talks with London mayor to renew licence

weekendnightdriver

London Mayor, Sadiq Khan, is not included in the TfL's board who concluded that decision. Do Uber want the London Mayor turn over their independent board's decision like a dictator?

What is so effing funny is that there are some allegations that Uber may put some concessions such as passenger safety and benefits for its drivers, possible limits on working hours to improve road safety and holiday pay" on the table. WTF for the rest of the world?

I don't think Dara Khosrowshahi has changed their strategy. I think they came to a conclusion that concessions have higher chance than court appeal, bribery, or dodging the agencies. There are 3 months to go for 180 days of change for Uber, but there seems to be no significant changes are in talks.

Anyway, it will be even funnier if London give a greenlight to Lyft.

DH_uber

London Mayor, Sadiq Khan, is not included in the TfL's board who concluded that decision. Do Uber want the London Mayor turn over their independent board's decision like a dictator?

What is so effing funny is that there are some allegations that Uber may put some concessions such as passenger safety and benefits for its drivers, possible limits on working hours to improve road safety and holiday pay" on the table. WTF for the rest of the world?

I don't think Dara Khosrowshahi has changed their strategy. I think they came to a conclusion that concessions have higher chance than court appeal, bribery, or dodging the agencies. There are 3 months to go for 180 days of change for Uber, but there seems to be no significant changes are in talks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe any appeal, if it is to be made, has to be made within 21 days. Hopefully 21 days will pass before Uber can get its act together.

Good riddance.

Homebrand Taxi

If Uber makes concessions like this in London, then they need extreme pressure applied to do the same elsewhere. UK Labour are onto them as part of a bigger condemnation of the gig economy. Time to revisit the TWU here to see where they stand. Last discussions I had with them made it clear they will only back Uber drivers if we have numbers behind us. They are pretty fed up with taxis (at least in Victoria) after they led a campaign to remove the airport charge on a promise of more members and taxis never followed through. Good effort spelling Khosrowshahi!

tomatopaste

Sharp comment.
Sharp commenter

This isn't just about London. If Uber caves to London's demands then it will embolden every other city worldwide. That's why Uber pulled out of Austin instead of caving. Eventually they came back but they couldn't be seen having caved easily. Rolling over to London's demands could force Uber to change their business model worldwide. They can't.

ubermercury

(Headline on BBC website) - Thank you for reaching out!

An article from BBC pointed out that Uber could operate effectively in London from councils bordering London where they will continue to be licensed ( hope that makes sense :wink:)
It will be fascinating to watch this unfold - much water to flow under London Bridge before it's resolved.

"BBC - What does Uber's London Ban Mean"

Infrequent

Tha

That's just the sort of underhand tactics one could expect from such a morally reprehensible and devious company.
They may appear to be morally reprehensible and devious, but you could also say that they are amoral and businesslike, but don't believe in building up goodwill, especially since they are still in the start-up (losing big money) stage. You can also say that they are losers, and have been losing money at different rates since they started operating.