Uber Scores Victory in the Michigan Legislature

Brady

The pro-Uber House bill has passed the Michigan House of Representatives this afternoon largely on a party-line vote of 71-39. The regulatory-heavy Senate bills do not appear to have sufficient votes to pass the Senate and Senate leadership allegedly has assured House leadership and Uber that it will move the House bills.

Here's what this means:
-Uber & Lyft will not have to follow the same regulations as livery services such as taxis and limos
-Uber & Lyft drivers will not have to obtain a chauffeur's license
-Uber & Lyft drivers will not have to obtain additional insurance but will need to acknowledge that their personal insurance may not offer primary coverage while signed on.
-All Uber & Lyft drivers will need to have an annual vehicle inspection
-All Uber & Lyft drivers will need to have trade dress displayed on their vehicle
-Local governments cannot establish additional regulations, permits, or licenses for ride sharing drivers
-Uber & Lyft drivers can pick up and drop off passengers at airports but cannot remain on airport property unless the companies enter into an agreement with an airport allowing them to do so.

Is there any update to this? Or links to the news somewhere? The status of being an Uber driver in Ann Arbor seems to confuse me. I've heard cops tend to target rideshare cars here.

Brady

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is there any update to this? Or links to the news somewhere? The status of being an Uber driver in Ann Arbor seems to confuse me. I've heard cops tend to target rideshare cars here.
No new updates. The Legislature has been focused on road funding and is only coming back on certain days this summer to deal with that while on summer break.