Uber Scam - First Referral Incentives

Antiwarclan

What happened was, I referred one of my friend to sign up as a driver-partner with Uber. This was my first referral. As such I am entitled to $400 (incentive in place) and $200 being the additional referral incentives. To date, Uber refuses to honour the incentive by saying they have the right to change the terms and conditions without giving prior notice. The email from sarah has clause of "terms and conditions subject to change" instead of "terms and conditions subject to change without prior notice". As such in a legal sense, Uber has to notify all the recipients of the email when a changes were made. As far as I know this has not happened.

As such, I am calling out for whoever has received the email from sarah of Uber in relation to the additional referral incentives of $200 for first time referral in July 2016 and has referred a person or persons to sign up as driver partners with Uber to PM me

As I wanted to know whether Uber did give you the $400 plus $200 first time referral incentives? If Uber did not give you the additional incentive maybe we could get together and do something.

Graham J

Hey Antiwarclan, sounds a real low trick. I made a moral decision a little time ago that I would never refer a friend to drive for this company so I've never "tested" the system

LevelX

As such I am entitled to $400 (incentive in place) and $200 being the additional referral incentives.
The $200 bonus for referrals had times limits on it. It was in the emails. Here is a copy of mine

Screenshot 2016-08-01 at 2.41.32 PM.png

Clearly says they have to complete the sign up and complete 20 trips by the 24th July if you want the $400 + $200 bonus.

Did they do this? If not, its just $400 which is the standard referral bonus for you.

If Uber did not give you the additional incentive maybe we could get together and do something.
I have a feeling its more a case of didn't read the T&Cs and missing the date rather than a class action type of thing.

laureb

The $200 bonus for referrals had times limits on it. It was in the emails. Here is a copy of mine

View attachment 51973

Clearly says they have to complete the sign up and complete 20 trips by the 24th July if you want the $400 + $200 bonus.

Did they do this? If not, its just $400 which is the standard referral bonus for you.

I have a feeling its more a case of didn't read the T&Cs and missing the date rather than a class action type of thing.

What amazes me is the inconsistency across the board. My referral is only $ 400 , I am not even entitled to the extra $ 200.

Irrespective of that, I have never referred someone to be a uber driver. You want to know why, well I do not the see the reason to create more competition in the market which will decrease the whole average income $ for the drivers including myself. lol

LevelX

What amazes me is the inconsistency across the board. My referral is only $ 400 , I am not even entitled to the extra $ 200.
Well the $200 bonus is gone. I haven't haven't referred anyone and its back to $400. That was a once off bonus for last month (ending on the 24/7). So had you been looking in this time frame or looking at it today?

You want to know why, well I do not the see the reason to create more competition in the market which will decrease the whole average income $ for the drivers including myself. lol
and this is why Uber will always have the upper hand. Each Uber driver is out on their own! Them against the world.

Referrals don't have to create competition with you. But if someone is going to be signing up anyhow that you know, then why not collect a referral bonus from them doing this? The competition as you put it, is coming if you like it or not.

laureb

Well the $200 bonus is gone. I haven't haven't referred anyone and its back to $400. That was a once off bonus for last month (ending on the 24/7). So had you been looking in this time frame or looking at it today?

and this is why Uber will always have the upper hand. Each Uber driver is out on their own! Them against the world.

Referrals don't have to create competition with you. But if someone is going to be signing up anyhow that you know, then why not collect a referral bonus from them doing this? The competition as you put it, is coming if you like it or not.
Everything you said is correct and makes sense.. The $ 400 has been going on for ages for me. Even last month. My personal thought is just that there has been a decrease in $$ since the influx of drivers

Graham J

Laureb, there has been a decrease in $$ because Uber cut the rates in March by 15%. Not rocket science! If there was an abundance of drivers nobody would be receiving 20+ minute pings. I started at 04:30 this morning and my wheels did not stop turning, rarely had more than a few minutes between jobs. Hardly symptomatic of too many drivers on the road!

Mightymong

View attachment 51973

I like the terms and conditions; opens with:

"The referred driver-partner must complete the number of trips specified with a minimum quality rating"

ScottieB

LevelX
Think long term, the more new drivers signed up on 25% commission the more old drivers get deactivated like they did in other countries. They will invite old drivers back on 25% commission by the way

LevelX

Don't disagree, but the key words you seem to be missing are "signing up regardless".

You can't stop the flood of new drivers, you are only one man.

So if someone you know is signing up regardless, why not cash in non that? It's happening either way in books.

I'm not saying go recruiting drivers.....

Last edited:

LevelX

We're all uber slaves..... Regardless of commission levels.

That said, I wouldn't push anyone to do Uber driving just to get a referral, but if they're going to sign up regardless, I'll make sure I get a bonus on the way! I'm not that silly to let $400 flash by without grabbing it.

As I said, the key words are signing up regardless and so far my referral bonuses total a grand total of zero. So haven't found anyone silly enough to sign up or anyone I don't like enough to encourage them to sign up :smiles:

ozrider

Be grateful you got anything at all, had a family friend join Uber so got them to use my referral code but due to some BS they didnt pay out. After a few back and forth emails i just left it alone incase they deactivated me!

Graham J

If, and a big if, I received a referral I would split it with the new sucker so they can't totally disown me when it all gets sour

LevelX

I never understand why it wasn't a two way street for referral bonuses. There is little to no reason to use one as a driver signing up. You get nothing from it.

Maybe if it was a 30/70 split? They get $100 bonus and you get $300? That would work better.

mrmontenegro

Why would you refer someone who will pinch work from you?
ScottieB,
mate! u have to give everyone a fer go no one is going to pinch your slice of pie as i realised long time ago ...uber does not give a f.....ck if any one gives them a referal or not as they work day and nite in they office coming up with the strategies how to sign more more and more people in platform...
they know that cars break down people get sick loose they driving licence and all this push just fills those holes left by the drivers leaving the platform...
if u lucky and they keen to drive then by all means give them your code butnin end of the day my point is we r not loosing by signing any new monkey

Antiwarclan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I referred my friend not because of the referral incentives. My friend was recently laid off by his employer and was unemployed for awhile. Uber is flexible enough that he could go on or off anytime.

Reply from uber on 31 July 2016 acknowledged that I and my friend have satisified all the terms and conditions and they still refuse to honour the incentives.

Last Monday, I told them that the terms and conditions are fundamentally incorrect or not well drafted.

The terms and conditions disclosed are as follow:

1.The referred Driver-Partner must complete the number of trips specified with a minimum quality rating and within the specified time frame;
2.You must be an active uberX Driver-Partner whom this offer has been directly made to;
3.You must be a Melbourne Driver-Partner and your referral must sign up in Melbourne; and
4.You must be the first person making the referral.
5.Referral amounts and requirements are subject to change.

If you read it carefully, one will only need to satisfy either term 1 or 2 together with term 3 and 4. Not all 4 terms and conditions.

In relation to term 5, there was no words to the effect that the terms and conditions could be changed without prior notice. Therefore, in legal sense, if Uber wanted to change the terms and conditions, Uber has to notify all the recipients of the said email. This is the thing that they did not do and they kept telling me that it is their policies.

This morning, Uber realised that they did the wrong thing and paid that additional $200 to me.

What I learned from this experience is that, Uber is such a scam and probably the most dishonest corporation that I have came across.