Uber says, "Pax go catch a bus." 🤪

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Screenshot_20200118-174235_Chrome.jpg

Some Uber users in Seattle now have the option to plan trips via bus, train or ferry in the ride-hailing giant’s app thanks to a new integration with the region’s transportation agencies.

• The Seattle area is the 14th region overall to get the Uber Transit integration, and it covers all major transportation organizations including King County Metro, Sound Transit, Amtrak, Washington State Ferries, SeaTac Airport Shuttle and the Seattle Center Monorail.
  • Uber is rolling out the integration over time to make sure it is working well. So far, about 25 percent of users in the Seattle area have access to transit routes through the Uber app.
  • Users will see a “transit” tab next to other transportation options once they enter a destination. The app will display routes, real-time departure and arrival times, walking directions to stations and pricing.

Screenshot_20200118-174351_Chrome.jpg

Transit in the Uber app
In several major cities around the world, you can use the Uber app to see nearby public transit stops and real-time departure information.

View transportation options
Enter your destination to see price estimates and projected arrival times for public transit and UberX in one place.

Screenshot_20200118-174924_Gallery.jpg

See the fastest public transit route
The app will show real-time public transit options and tell you which one is estimated to be the fastest.

Screenshot_20200118-174941_Gallery.jpg

Get public transit directions
If you choose to take public transit, the app will provide step-by-step navigation to your destination.

20200118_175156.jpg

BobbyMcgee

I have gotten short trips all day. Nothing but short trips. Sucks! Done 12 trips in 5 hours. Really affecting my pay a lot today and yesterday.
Post automatically merged:

I also earlier tried a different time than I usually work and that did not work out earlier. I know to stick to my usual schedule.

Last edited:

K-pax

Could this weed out short trips?
Not a chance... the bus won’t pull right up to their toes no matter where they are standing (dangerous, illegal, nearly impossible locations) and allow them to literally fall into the backseat without any use of leg muscles whatsoever. It also won’t stop at whatever unreasonable, illegal or dangerous location so that they don’t have to walk half a block from the loading zone to the door of their destination.

To ride a bus, you have to walk to a bus stop, then you have to walk to the door of the bus, then walk to your seat, then walk from your seat back to the door, then walk to your destinstion from the bus stop.

I remember on a brutally slow day, picking up some a hole on capitol hill... literally going down to 2nd and union. This relatively fit, young and able bodied woman got mad because I didn’t literally pull my back door right up to her toes (she was standing about where the hood of my car came to a stop... in the loading zone), and after a silent, but flawless (and profitless) ride, she 1 starred me (the only one I have at the moment) for it. She aint riding a bus. Her head would explode. Was a total lapse in judgement that I didn’t cancel on her when she was making a big deal about me not alligning the back door with her. Ah well.

tipster98122

In all things Uber and Lyft one has to ask what's in it for them?
What is their ROI for all that expensive engineering and marketing time they're spending on this?

aspacepig

Not a chance... the bus won’t pull right up to their toes no matter where they are standing (dangerous, illegal, nearly impossible locations) and allow them to literally fall into the backseat without any use of leg muscles whatsoever. It also won’t stop at whatever unreasonable, illegal or dangerous location so that they don’t have to walk half a block from the loading zone to the door of their destination.

To ride a bus, you have to walk to a bus stop, then you have to walk to the door of the bus, then walk to your seat, then walk from your seat back to the door, then walk to your destinstion from the bus stop.

I remember on a brutally slow day, picking up some a hole on capitol hill... literally going down to 2nd and union. This relatively fit, young and able bodied woman got mad because I didn’t literally pull my back door right up to her toes (she was standing about where the hood of my car came to a stop... in the loading zone), and after a silent, but flawless (and profitless) ride, she 1 starred me (the only one I have at the moment) for it. She aint riding a bus. Her head would explode. Was a total lapse in judgement that I didn’t cancel on her when she was making a big deal about me not alligning the back door with her. Ah well.
Mate, that's always a cancel while looking them in the eye and smiling.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
I am glad I have all transit centers memorized. I imagine an increase in pick up requests from those areas will be a result of this. Lots of folks taking a bus 15 miles home from work and then catching an Uber the final 1.2 miles home. Seems this new feature in the app will better enable the pax to sync up this routine.

DexNex

That is not necessarily a good thing. When bike-share came to Seattle, I think most drivers did not understand the impact that having those bodies on bicycles, rather than in cars, had on our overall levels of surge. Short trips, while they suck, are still bodies in cars, and cars not available to the market.

In all things Uber and Lyft one has to ask what's in it for them?
What is their ROI for all that expensive engineering and marketing time they're spending on this?
Easy. For a large transit organization, fare collection is one of the largest expenses. In some municipalities, they have decided to simply stop collecting fares from pax because it makes up such a small part of their operating income, while being one of their largest expenses. Uber wants to take over this problem for municipal transit providers... and take a small cut. Its actually a potential win/win for Uber and the transit providers.

Last edited:

Samman

weed is a short trip

I have gotten short trips all day. Nothing but short trips. Sucks! Done 12 trips in 5 hours. Really affecting my pay a lot today and yesterday.

I also earlier tried a different time than I usually work and that did not work out earlier. I know to stick to my usual schedule.
Quitting time brah!