Uber Drivers Forum banner

Uber says its GPS monitors your braking and acceleration

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  tohunt4me 
#1 ·
I recently contacted Uber about a GPS issue concerning Uber's GPS. As expected, the customer service rep sent along a boilerplate response that was almost completely unrelated to my question. But in the message was also this bit:

For example, by using GPS data sent to Uber while you're on a trip, we can determine whether your vehicle engages in harsh braking or rapid acceleration more frequently than others in your city.

Excuse me? Since when has this been the case? And what else is Uber monitoring? Is this noted anywhere in the partner agreements we've signed? (I don't recall seeing it in the last addendum that was sent out last week, in my case in Toronto.)

#2 ·
I recently contacted Uber about a GPS issue concerning Uber's GPS. As expected, the customer service rep sent along a boilerplate response that was almost completely unrelated to my question. But in the message was also this bit:

For example, by using GPS data sent to Uber while you're on a trip, we can determine whether your vehicle engages in harsh braking or rapid acceleration more frequently than others in your city.

Excuse me? Since when has this been the case? And what else is Uber monitoring? Is this noted anywhere in the partner agreements we've signed? (I don't recall seeing it in the last addendum that was sent out last week, in my case in Toronto.)
Too bad they can't keep accurate trip counts and rider ratings these past few weeks !

Spend the money on the Driver's Uber !

#3 ·

That's not technically possible. Uncorrected GPS is only accurate within 20 feet at best. They would need an accelerometer, ground-based sensors or RTK correction to gauge this. Okay, if you accelerate from 0-500 in 100 feet then they could make a fair assertion that you're wild and / or crazy.

#7 ·

This might have been the more accurate answer to your query. This technology has been around since 2005! Chinese are setting aside entire cities to run this new technology. Every day 500 Chinese are killed in auto accidents. http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Gears-Autonomous-Revolution-Investments-Ford

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.