Uber Drivers Forum banner

Uber Says It Will Start Offering Flying Taxis In 2020

12K views 133 replies 59 participants last post by  OverTheBarrell 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...10ae4b0b6f6014b2a2f?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

U.S. ride-hailing service Uber Technologies Inc expects to deploy flying taxi services in Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, and Dubai in 2020, Chief Product Officer Jeff Holden said at the Uber Elevate Summit in Dallas.

Uber's flying taxis will be small, electric aircraft that takeoff and land vertically, or VTOL aircraft, enabling zero operational emissions and quiet enough to operate in cities without disturbing the neighbors.

The company is working with Hillwood Properties to make four vertiports - VTOL hubs with multiple takeoff and landing pads, and charging infrastructure - for Uber in Dallas starting next year, Holden said.

Uber has also teamed up with companies such as Bell Helicopter, Aurora, Pipistrel, Mooney and Embraer to make the flying taxis.

The company, which has partnered with the Dubai government, expects to conduct passenger flights as part of the World Expo 2020 in Dubai.

-----

Because self driving cars were too complicated.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
.. .. .. And the " Pied Piper" of San Francisco led all of the Globalist Investors over the cliff . . .

Meanwhile,it was just another day to the Amish . . .

I swear,if I were younger,I would run off and join the Amish !
Till my fields behind a stout draft horse,a good life.

Something about a wife and 11 kids waiting for me to come in from the fields everyday . . .
( of course kids over 7 would be working in the fields )

Thank you Travis.
For the Redistribution of Wealth during history's worse economic downturn.
Thank you.

Fond memories of my own introduction to farming.
" You like potato's ?"
" here's a sack,follow the tractor".

Attachments

#4 ·
Here's a slice of pie,raised in salute to Travis saving the Govt. Billions.
We might all be on unemployment and food stamps by now.

I don't have to sell stolen motorcycle parts across the continent now
I can Uber instead.
Anyone need a 145" c.I. v - twin ?
Or Amish furniture ???

Shhhhhhhh . . . .
Money is flowing into America .
Who else is doing that ?
Hollywood,motion pictures,the stock market . . . not too many

P.T. BARNUM
" ThE ART OF MONEY GETTING"
first published 1880.

Hurry,hurry,hurry !
Step Right up !
Get in on Flying cars ,TODAYYYYY !

Attachments

#8 ·
Well I guess TK went from watching Total Recall (Johnny cabs) to the "World of Tomorrow" (flying cars).
The guy is really into science fiction.
The idea of flying cars has been around since the 1950's. Check out an old Popular Science or Popular Mechanics.
Next step, Autonomous Flying Cars (VTOL).
Then "beam me up" UberTransport
And then UberIP (interplanitary)

#20 ·
You can't even fly a large drone, a large kite ( ultra light acft) or even a hot air balloon with out FAA authorization, which includes flying lessons, ground school, drug testing, acft inspections, insurance and licensing. And Travis K thinks he can go around it ( faa regulations ) like he did with the dot and state and city programs for livery services. This is just another distraction to attract ignorant investors whom have too much greed and not enough commonsense. I predict by 2020 Travis K will be either dead or institutionalized ie in jail.

#32 ·
I can see it now. When these crash; their statement will be "We don't provide the space between our flying car and ground" we don't take responsibility for anything the happens from the moment of takeoff until landing.

When regulators want to charge them fee they will say "we don't force people to think they can fly, we only provide a means for people to think they can fly".
--"You can't regulate us like a transportation company, we provide people with a way to use their own imagination"

#36 ·
Yo Travis,
Lots of people are afraid to fly in AIRLINERS!! What makes you think this will be profitable? You'll have to charge people a boatload of money for this service and remember this -- your investors are subsidizing 59 percent of all your fares now!!! What makes you think this will fly (no pun intended, well, maybe) with passengers or investors? Uber's popularity at present is pretty much due to how cheap the rides are.
NOTE TO UBER INVESTORS: STOP THIS PERSON (TRAVIS KALANICK) NOW OR YOU JUST MIGHT REGRET IT VERY MUCH LATER!!!

#39 · (Edited)
You liveing in the south you got gators you can hunt gators. Up north here got bears! Idk whats scarier to hunt
I think gators are easier to handle than bears. Gators main weapons are his tail and mouth.
Bears run too fast.
Bears have claws.
Bears don't have to warm up in the sun.
Bears scare me. Would love to go camping in the mountains in Tenn. Except for . . .Bears.

Ahhh, yes.

I see the folks at Uber HQ are still smoking crack in their weekly brainstorm meetings.
Shhh . . .
The bathroom tile Uber logo is about to line up . . .

Yo Travis,
Lots of people are afraid to fly in AIRLINERS!! What makes you think this will be profitable? You'll have to charge people a boatload of money for this service and remember this -- your investors are subsidizing 59 percent of all your fares now!!! What makes you think this will fly (no pun intended, well, maybe) with passengers or investors? Uber's popularity at present is pretty much due to how cheap the rides are.
NOTE TO UBER INVESTORS: STOP THIS PERSON (TRAVIS KALANICK) NOW OR YOU JUST MIGHT REGRET IT VERY MUCH LATER!!!
Weight is a consideration when flying.
Uber couldn't care less about it when WEIGHT overloads our cars destroying them.
Aircraft can fall out of the sky when overloaded. Lot of messy pieces to pick up then.
Does anyone think our UNSUPERVISED passengers would be honest for a second about weight and baggage weight ?
NEVER HAPPEN !
I used to fly everyday in helicopters.
Smaller aircraft are very much regulated by weight.
Their response handling regarding emergency situations is also greatly affected by weight.
When you have to turn sideways to avoid one springing up un announced from a nearby airfield while you are coming in for landing,you FEEL the difference of overeloading. 500 feet may not seem like a lot. When you are looking at the ground through a 1/8" plexiglass window with a firewall for a twin star turbine at your back,it is more than enough distance to fall from.

We had a good long talk about sneaking frozen fish in from offshore and lying about weight and bag weight after that one.

I can see it now. When these crash; their statement will be "We don't provide the space between our flying car and ground" we don't take responsibility for anything the happens from the moment of takeoff until landing.

When regulators want to charge them fee they will say "we don't force people to think they can fly, we only provide a means for people to think they can fly".
--"You can't regulate us like a transportation company, we provide people with a way to use their own imagination"

Attachments

#40 ·
Ever look up in a big city and notice there are no small aircraft flying above? Or, if there are, they are in the takeoff or landing pattern for the airport? The reason is, all airspace over most major cities is restricted and controlled. You can't fly through it without permission and instructions. This is just another way for TK to scam investment money.

#41 ·
I'd much rather catch a gator than a bear. Gators can't see directly in front of themselves or behind them. I used to work at Everglades Alligator Farm in Florida City, Florida and got to know a lot about alligators. If you grab a good sized on by its tail you can stretch it out and get on its back if you want to. This is how alligator wrestlers do their thing. Just do this on a gator that's about 8 or 9 feet long. The smaller ones move around too much and the larger ones can walk around with you on their backs! If you walk directly in front of an alligator you can literally tap it on its nose! It knows something is there but can't see it. It will open its mouth and hiss but not usually attack, but if you get to the front and side of it you're in trouble. We actually tapped gators on the nose occasionally during gator shows.
SPECIAL DISCLAIMER!!! I DO NOT ADVISE ANYONE TO GO OUT AND TRY TO CATCH AN ALLIGATOR. THIS SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY PROPERLY TRAINED INDIVIDUALS. I DO NOT ASSUME ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY INJURIES OR DEATHS THAT OCCUR BY ANYONE WHO ATTEMPTS TO CATCH OR WRESTLE AN ALLIGATOR, CROCODILE OR ANY OTHER ANIMAL, FOR THAT MATTER.

;):(:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.