Uber Says It Will Start Offering Flying Taxis In 2020

Koolbreze

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...10ae4b0b6f6014b2a2f?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009 Uber in all its miserableness spends money on this crap but can't give drivers a raise since gas gas prices are going up.

U.S. ride-hailing service Uber Technologies Inc expects to deploy flying taxi services in Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, and Dubai in 2020, Chief Product Officer Jeff Holden said at the Uber Elevate Summit in Dallas.

Uber’s flying taxis will be small, electric aircraft that takeoff and land vertically, or VTOL aircraft, enabling zero operational emissions and quiet enough to operate in cities without disturbing the neighbors.

The company is working with Hillwood Properties to make four vertiports - VTOL hubs with multiple takeoff and landing pads, and charging infrastructure - for Uber in Dallas starting next year, Holden said.

Uber has also teamed up with companies such as Bell Helicopter, Aurora, Pipistrel, Mooney and Embraer to make the flying taxis.

The company, which has partnered with the Dubai government, expects to conduct passenger flights as part of the World Expo 2020 in Dubai.

-----

Because self driving cars were too complicated.

phillipzx3

PAY DRIVERS !
DO NOT DISCOURAGE TIPPING !

Thing is ,a full size helicopter can only operate in 40 Knott winds give or take. They would be grounded 50% of the time in Chicago alone !
( these things are made of beer can thickness aluminum and plexi glass plastic,wind will blow it off the roof)
( no door slamming passengers allowed !)
AND THEN . . . You need IFR( INSTRUMENT FLIGHT RATING) to fly at night. More Avionics and higher level of training required.
It will never be more than a novelty.

Imagine stepping out of your helicopter In a business suit,after a light rain,and Rotor wash throws pidgeon droppings and water all over you ! Seen it happen ( minus the suit)( seagull urine ,fish heads,defecations)

You don't need an instrument rating to fly at night. All you need is the required flight time (solo and cross country) and you're good to go.

By the way; IFR stands for "Instrument flight rules," not "Instrument flight rating.

Or....as the joke goes, IFR means "I follow roads." :-)

tohunt4me

You don't need an instrument rating to fly at night. All you need is the required flight time (solo and cross country) and you're good to go.

By the way; IFR stands for "Instrument flight rules," not "Instrument flight rating.

Or....as the joke goes, IFR means "I follow roads." :smiles:
Many do follow roads.
I had an x C.I.A. helicopter pilot who would chase cattle . . . never knew about the yellow tags in their ears till then . . .
No roads off shore. Must mean *" I follow Rigs" ( oil rigs)

phillipzx3

Weight is a consideration when flying.
Uber couldn't care less about it when WEIGHT overloads our cars destroying them.
Aircraft can fall out of the sky when overloaded

As long as the CG isn't wacky, an overloaded aircraft will fly just fine. What it won't do is achieve a positive rate of climb needed to take off in the first place. :-)

I fly an overloaded Cessna Hawk XP fairly often. It was loaded heavy enough I could just squeeze out a 100 fpm positive rate. I did this because I knew once I did my engine run-up and climbed to my altitude, the XP would have burned off enough fuel to bring my weight back down.

There are many tricks one can play. Departing in the morning vs. afternoon...as an example. :-)

blackjackross

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...10ae4b0b6f6014b2a2f?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

U.S. ride-hailing service Uber Technologies Inc expects to deploy flying taxi services in Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, and Dubai in 2020, Chief Product Officer Jeff Holden said at the Uber Elevate Summit in Dallas.

Uber’s flying taxis will be small, electric aircraft that takeoff and land vertically, or VTOL aircraft, enabling zero operational emissions and quiet enough to operate in cities without disturbing the neighbors.

The company is working with Hillwood Properties to make four vertiports - VTOL hubs with multiple takeoff and landing pads, and charging infrastructure - for Uber in Dallas starting next year, Holden said.

Uber has also teamed up with companies such as Bell Helicopter, Aurora, Pipistrel, Mooney and Embraer to make the flying taxis.

The company, which has partnered with the Dubai government, expects to conduct passenger flights as part of the World Expo 2020 in Dubai.

-----

Because self driving cars were too complicated.
Assuming all the bugs of VTOL aircraft are worked to satisfy FAA requirements, there's a couple of practical things to consider. Where will these aircraft land? Riders currently have an expectation to be dropped off right in front of their destination----complain if you stop 20 feet short of where they want to go. In Chicago or any other major metropolitan area, how are these aircraft going to land in residential areas with heavy foliage, power lines and no open spaces. Are they planning to land/take off from busy downtown streets? I don't think that's feasible. Many questions and issues need to be addressed well ahead of anyone going out and celebrating that airborne taxis are imminent.

ABC123DEF

...And offering trips to the Andromeda Galaxy by 2022. We might as as well dream big since TK is notorious for being ridiciously overly ambitious, right?! :rolleyes:

Tom Harding

...And offering trips to the Andromeda Galaxy by 2022. We might as as well dream big since TK is notorious for being ridiciously overly ambitious, right?! :rolleyes:
Hell, Uber Support cannot even get the toll across the Chicago Skyway right. Just imagine an Uber trip to the moon and when you arrive and have paid the landing toll, Uber Support tells you that the landing toll :
We are not able to adjust the fare on this trip to include the toll. We're happy to reimburse you for tolls that should have applied to your trip automatically based upon your trip route. However, this toll does not fall into that category.
Or this:

We completely understand your frustration and are happy to reimburse for tolls that are not automatically added to a trip. Unfortunately, we do not have a record of this toll name and amount in your city, and cannot reimburse you at this time.

Please double check that the toll amount was submitted correctly, and this occurred while on a trip with Uber. You can submit a new request through the appropriate trip on your

rembrandt

TK is still no match for EM in term of arrogance , anti worker attitude while defrauding investors and federal money at the same time. Both can team up and leave Mother Earth for good so that people can breath fresh air polluted by their toxic mouth fart.

phillipzx3

Exactly. So many regulations and airspace restrictions from the FAA. Good luck with this one. The technology isn't even there yet. There's a lot more to flying than being airborn.

It's not that bad. :-) Airspace is way easier to deal with now than it was in the past. Wanna slip through class C and B airspace? Piece of cake with a GPS. You should have tried it back in the day with VOR, NDB, ADF or plain ol' dead reckoning. :-)

The regs aren't that big of a deal either. I have an experimental RV6A I fly that uses a Mazda RX7 engine. Never had a problem with regulations yet.

rtaatl

It's not that bad. :smiles: Airspace is way easier to deal with now than it was in the past. Wanna slip through class C and B airspace? Piece of cake with a GPS. You should have tried it back in the day with VOR, NDB, ADF or plain ol' dead reckoning. :smiles:

The regs aren't that big of a deal either. I have an experimental RV6A I fly that uses a Mazda RX7 engine. Never had a problem with regulations yet.
Actually I remember NDB approaches and the ADF was quirky as hell. At that time they just started GPS overlays and WAAS was brand new. Flying works great because it's point to point, but implementing a taxi...not so much. You'll never be able to stay out restricted airspace for too long and not to mention there's not enough man power in approach control to track over flying vehicle within a 30 mile radius of Bravo airspace. Let's not even get into the unmanned part of it. Aside from that technology not existing yet, they'd have to write a completely different book of regs for it. I'm sure we can both agree..lol

OverTheBarrell

So many Pax claim this.. and driverless cars.. like it's going to happen tomorrow...

but what they don't realize is that when driverless cars are real, and one company controls them, by by Uber X fares ... hello $$$

Actually I remember NDB approaches and the ADF was quirky as hell. At that time they just started GPS overlays and WAAS was brand new. Flying works great because it's point to point, but implementing a taxi...not so much. You'll never be able to stay out restricted airspace for too long and not to mention there's not enough man power in approach control to track over flying vehicle within a 30 mile radius of Bravo airspace. Let's not even get into the unmanned part of it. Aside from that technology not existing yet, they'd have to write a completely different book of regs for it. I'm sure we can both agree..lol
Ahh my dream.. homebuilt with a rotary... yes airspace is much easier to deal with than 'Roads' ...
and a craft can fly and navigate 100% in GPS .. as you know it's just old tech ...
landing can be more difficult.