• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber rolls out new VoIP feature for riders and drivers to communicate through the app

BurgerTiime

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/18/17995540/uber-voip-data-call

On Thursday, Uber announced a new way for riders and drivers to communicate through the company’s app using voice over internet protocol, or VoIP. Much like Skype or FaceTime audio, Uber’s new VoIP feature uses an internet connection rather than cellular phone service to make calls. The ride-hailing company has been trialing the VoIP feature since June, and it announced its global availability today at a conference in San Francisco.

Fozzie

Pretty much everyone has unlimited talk time, but data is a more expensive add-on. Make Uber sense that the solution to save people money is to push everyone to Uber VOIP and burn limited data vs unlimited voice.

SMH. Everyday Uber comes up with new ways to prove their incompetence.

tohunt4me

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/18/17995540/uber-voip-data-call

On Thursday, Uber announced a new way for riders and drivers to communicate through the company’s app using voice over internet protocol, or VoIP. Much like Skype or FaceTime audio, Uber’s new VoIP feature uses an internet connection rather than cellular phone service to make calls. The ride-hailing company has been trialing the VoIP feature since June, and it announced its global availability today at a conference in San Francisco.
This handy method allows Uber to
RAISE MILLIONS IN REVENUE SELLING EVERYONES VOICE PRINT TO BIG BROTHER!
Since Facial Recognition Data has panned out . . .

Mankind is being sewn into a bag.

Question EVERYTHING !

Any " Convenience" is not for Your benefit ! It is how they lull you into acceptance of TOTAL INVASION.

WHICH PRECEDES TOTAL DOMINATION . . . . .

FREE WILL !

Attachments

Last edited:

Danny3xd

Reconnaissance? Or is it me and the voices, again?

Meta data looking for "Please, "thank you" "Fu" etc?

x100

Think they have a conglomerate type entity (with Uberworks etc) in mind and this is a component of it; and everyone is a free tester of their app and components for them right now.
Why?

Seriously, someone explain to my thick skull why they did this ‘cause I’m not seeing a need for this.

Danny3xd

Think they have a conglomerate type entity (with Uberworks etc) in mind and this is a component of it; and everyone is a free tester of their app and components for them right now.
I would think that is if not Ding, ding ding. At the very least a large contributing factor.

But think ya nailed it.

Reactions: MHR

touberornottouber

As long as I can still receive the call over my regular phone, I don't mind. Otherwise I pay for my data per GB and do not want to have to pay extra to receive calls from passengers.

Reactions: MHR

Uber's Guber

I don’t care what technology Uber uses, I never answer pax calls. My voicemail instructs that I’m driving and they can send a text. If they call again, I cancel the ride.

Danny3xd

Just me but find I can answer and while talking hands free, switch back to nav.

Don't like to. But sometimes works out well.

The Entomologist

Why?

Seriously, someone explain to my thick skull why they did this ‘cause I’m not seeing a need for this.
Plenty 'o reasons.

Like:

1. it's cheaper than paying connectors.

2. You can snoop on it easier since you own the encryption method.

3. They are probably thinking they can use it to serve as study for code that recognizes code words for a plethora of reasons to automate stuff/ @@@@ drivers.

4. Speech recognition tests?

Who knows really but I really just think they are going for cheaper stuff.