Uber rolled back DF from 6 to 2 in four cities.

Robkaaa

Because this feature does not work good for experienced drivers. I'm an SUV driver and every ride matters for an SUV driver. For instance, I do my homework and look for events in the city. I know where and what is going to be, and for me is no difference where to go, so I got to the spot and wait for the ride, and there are plenty of drivers that just driving around with DF on, they just turn it on to be prioritize with ride and certain direction, and they get the ride that I was waiting for; even though I'm already there, but because of DF my location doesn't matter. Also riders have to wait much longer.
At least DF not supposed to be on SUV.

JimKE

I find it very useful in certain situations, not so much other times.

I also find it hard to believe that DF adversely affects pax pickup times in saturated urban markets. If I'm on DF, I'm sure there is a driver within a couple of blocks who is not.

Jc.

I deplete them every day, they are great.
Today I made a drop off at Aventura mall, on my way out I df to MIA and there was a luber camper in front of the entrance I dropped, I was almost at Biscayne exit when a ping came in, it was from the mall, same entrance, a young couple with carry on, one heading to MIA and the other to UM campus, about 30 miles ride!
Know your DF boys!
I take around 15 bucks for each of them

Gmbbody

It's great for connecting to riders off the street or linking back up with a previous rider later on. You're sure to be connected with DF set to where they're going.

Jesusdrivesuber

Because this feature does not work good for experienced drivers. I'm an SUV driver and every ride matters for an SUV driver. For instance, I do my homework and look for events in the city. I know where and what is going to be, and for me is no difference where to go, so I got to the spot and wait for the ride, and there are plenty of drivers that just driving around with DF on, they just turn it on to be prioritize with ride and certain direction, and they get the ride that I was waiting for; even though I'm already there, but because of DF my location doesn't matter. Also riders have to wait much longer.
At least DF not supposed to be on SUV.

It works great for experienced drivers, you probably just aren't by the looks of your post.

Gubber Singh

For driving in the SUV only mode, you need a big heart and a flat butt. I have one but not the other. No guessing allowed.

Last edited:

Uberana

I'm in Chicago and for the most part I was ok with the 2 DFs per day. Now I find out that it it's only 4 markets that took the hit? Kinda pisses me off.

Also, I find the reason kind of lame. Increased pick up times for the riders? So what? The majority of the time, I end up waiting for the riders, not the other way around. Seems like the riders can afford to wait an extra few minutes.

JimKE

I'm in Chicago and for the most part I was ok with the 2 DFs per day. Now I find out that it it's only 4 markets that took the hit? Kinda pisses me off.

Also, I find the reason kind of lame. Increased pick up times for the riders? So what? The majority of the time, I end up waiting for the riders, not the other way around. Seems like the riders can afford to wait an extra few minutes.
I'm guessing that they got complaints from "...underserved communities," who think "racist" Uber drivers are using DF to avoid their neighborhoods.

For example, in San Francisco, Oakland and Berkeley are right across the bridge from downtown. Late nights, the downtown entertainment areas tend to surge a bit (to the extent that drivers come from 100 miles away to drive in SFO). If those areas are surging, a few drivers might be less inclined to accept Pool requests 20 minutes away in Oakland -- which they know from experience will be minimum fare trips. So they set their DFs to avoid those dangerous and unproductive nightmares. Obviously, DF is the enemy here...not the cheap slugs who live there.

And think about it for a minute -- if you had to pick four cities in the US where "...underserved communities" might pitch a hissy-fit, what would your choices be? New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and Seattle? Me too.

joebo1963

I'm guessing that they got complaints from "...underserved communities," who think "racist" Uber drivers are using DF to avoid their neighborhoods.

For example, in San Francisco, Oakland and Berkeley are right across the bridge from downtown. Late nights, the downtown entertainment areas tend to surge a bit (to the extent that drivers come from 100 miles away to drive in SFO). If those areas are surging, a few drivers might be less inclined to accept Pool requests 20 minutes away in Oakland -- which they know from experience will be minimum fare trips. So they set their DFs to avoid those dangerous and unproductive nightmares. Obviously, DF is the enemy here...not the cheap slugs who live there.

And think about it for a minute -- if you had to pick four cities in the US where "...underserved communities" might pitch a hissy-fit, what would your choices be? New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and Seattle? Me too.
Every city in the USA has its upscale neighborhoods and its hoods.....St Louis, Philadelphia, Washington DC etc...have small very nice areas and large areas of poverty..

regarding the comment that drivers come from 100 miles away to drive in SFO really tells me the rates are high there because we all know California has the highest gas price in the continental 48.....

Kodyhead

Every city in the USA has its upscale neighborhoods and its hoods.....St Louis, Philadelphia, Washington DC etc...have small very nice areas and large areas of poverty..

regarding the comment that drivers come from 100 miles away to drive in SFO really tells me the rates are high there because we all know California has the highest gas price in the continental 48.....

I read their forum every once in a while they seem to always have consistent surges and promotions like quest and stuff. Same with jersey drivers don't want to cross that bridge.

I sympathize with the jersey drivers as they cannot pick up in NYC in addition to the huge toll i think is $12. I believe it is also against the law to deny a ride based on destination as well

JimKE

Yes, SFO rates are much higher than ours, but they are also very busy.

We were in SFO for five days in June, and took 9 Uber rides. NOT ONE of our drivers lived in SFO or any of its suburbs. They were all from FAR away, including two from Sacramento...almost 100 miles away.