Uber Ride Requests Only Work When Top App

Surgeless in Seattle

Here's the deal - if any app but Uber is the top/in use app on my phone - I do not get a ride request. If I am in an Uber ride and using Waze, when I end the ride I get notified of how many rides I missed!

Lyft requests come through loud and clear. I've tried everything. Deleting and reinstalling the app. WiFi off, Blu-Tooth off, volume up - stand on my head and clicking my heels three times. I've tried it without the Lyft app open.

This started .... drumroll please... New Year's Eve!!! Woot! Woot! Yeah, that was miserable. I couldn't figure out why I kept getting logged out. Since I didn't start driving until 10 I wasn't able to really figure out WTF was going on until too late.

Of course support and their canned robot responses are useless and in spite of my repeated requests for them to escalate this - it appears I am still stuck with the cream of the outsourced offshored crop.

I do not relish going to the Hub in Tukwilla (why did they move THERE again?) - I have two questions:

- Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

- Anyone have any other ideas?

Dennyjo2016

Im not sure, but when I DONT have uber on top app, i get a short pop down window with an accept field. Since i mostky work seattle i never tap accept as it could be a pool. Becauae of this i always leave uber on top as lyft will always give me a full screen to accept the ride.

Surgeless in Seattle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im not sure, but when I DONT have uber on top app, i get a short pop down window with an accept field. Since i mostky work seattle i never tap accept as it could be a pool. Becauae of this i always leave uber on top as lyft will always give me a full screen to accept the ride.
Nope - not even getting the alert banner. No chime. Nothing, nada, zip, nope.

Sat at home with 2nd phone trying to get request to come through - only works when Uber app is THE top active app. The Uber screen isn't even changing to black when you double tap home button and can see all open apps tiled/stacked/fanned (however you call it).

Leaving Uber app on top won't work when I'm in a ride and using navigation. I was trying to switch back to Uber nav as I got near pax destination.

Dennyjo2016

Hummmm, im not sure here. I do power cycle my phone every day before Ubering. I also had some app trouble last week but fou d my phone storage space ran out.

Surgeless in Seattle

Had to move some apps to sd card to free up some space
Good thought, not it though I have 28.9 GB left.

I'm going to have to figure out how to use my iPad in addition to the phone ... I'm just wanting to be able to have Uber link to Waze on it. I'm hoping tethering it to my phone will be enough, I don't want to have to get a SIM card for it and have another expense. (Not a lot of hope Uber will figure it out.)

Ballard_Driver

That's a bummer! I know exactly what you mean though unfortunately. Sooo I noticed this happening a few weeks ago (maybe 6 or 8 weeks back) and got pretty angry about it once I realized what was going on since I had missed a bunch of requests, and had a pretty lame night or two because of it. I too messaged support and got nothing useful from them. I doubt they even forwarded the problem onto their programming/bug/error team like I told them to do.

After a couple weekends of going out of my way to make sure it was on top it seemed to just start working again ok and sending through requests when it was in the background again. I figured they finally caught the glitch and fixed it with one of the updates I did. I did not notice it doing this on NYE, and I know I definitely got prompted to take 2nd trips and queue them up while I had Waze on top at least some of the time. I don't THINK I missed anything because of this glitch. At least you know it's not just your phone now though since I had the same issue! I wouldn't bother trying to change hardware or anything.

I have an Android phone. It sounds like you have an iPhone? They're obviously completely different apps as far as their behind the scene coding goes, but perhaps they'll catch it and fix it soon like they did with the Android version. I would suggest just making sure you phone is totally updated and the app is totally updated. Beyond that there's not much you can do until they fix it on their end. You can see if there is a help topic specifically for reporting bugs in the program if you can find such an option.

Other than that just keep taking the updates as soon as they come and hope they fix it, and try to keep it on top as much as possible like I did. It was annoying, but it seemed to work fine the whole time as long as it was on top.

DexNex

iPhone pro here. Are you on iPhone? If so, go to Settings, then Notfications. Select the Uber Driver app. Make sure you are set to "Allow Notifications". Also make sure it is set for at least "Banners".

Surgeless in Seattle

Hey Guys - Ballard, yes it IS GOOD to know it's not just me. Dex - changing the notification style didn't work.

I could get it to work on my iPad so it was clearly a conflict within the app & my phone. Since I had reloaded the app my phone needed a serious reload - more than a reboot.

I Reset Network Settings and voila! Fixed. Not sure what Android has that's comparable? Hopefully this thread may save someone future frustration - although having to re-enter all of my passwords is frustrating too - just not as costly!

Surgeless in Seattle

I run iPad mini, I always have lyft on top and had no problem fielding Uber requests.
How do the calls/texts work with the iPad? Do the incoming calls/texts go straight to your phone? Now with the new ever changing contact # for the pax how do you initiate a text to a pax?

Skinny1

How do the calls/texts work with the iPad? Do the incoming calls/texts go straight to your phone? Now with the new ever changing contact # for the pax how do you initiate a text to a pax?
I have my iPhone for that. Separate SIM cards. I did have verizon messenger on the iPad mini though and that worked just fine for the longest time. Now I use phone for message or calls.

DexNex

I use an iPad that is 4g LTE. I have to use my iPhone for messaging now. The numbers actually cycle... so I have 8-10 different Uber numbers in my iPhone.

Ballard_Driver

Hey Guys - Ballard, yes it IS GOOD to know it's not just me. Dex - changing the notification style didn't work.

I could get it to work on my iPad so it was clearly a conflict within the app & my phone. Since I had reloaded the app my phone needed a serious reload - more than a reboot.

I Reset Network Settings and voila! Fixed. Not sure what Android has that's comparable? Hopefully this thread may save someone future frustration - although having to re-enter all of my passwords is frustrating too - just not as costly!
Weird! I wonder if I actually did something that fixed it by accident on my end. I don't remember changing any network settings or anything, but maybe just turning on/off location services or wi-fi or something weird did it. Any which way it is still a glitch as the app SHOULDN'T do anything like that. It's nice to know there's some theoretical solution though. If I ever have it happen again I'll try changing/resetting a bunch of settings and see if it fixes it!

Surgeless in Seattle

I use an iPad that is 4g LTE. I have to use my iPhone for messaging now. The numbers actually cycle... so I have 8-10 different Uber numbers in my iPhone.
I just broke down today and got a SIM card for my iPad. I'd been planning to tether but my phone had a hard time keeping up with all the apps and the hot spot. Geeze! How much data are you going through? I'm really part time with my health lately but I use 8-10GB/month.

DexNex

about 10gb /month total usage on all devices. i do not stream music... I download it via wifi and keep it on my iPhone.