Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

UBER reduced the surge multiplier from a trip last night? Advice??

862 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  simpsonsverytall 
#1 · (Edited)
Guns n Roses concert, police barricade all routes heading into the stadium, 4-5x surge last night.

4x surge
record shows 17miles 19minutes - I'm not 100% sure it wasn't longer because of going around an accident, but let's try the 17miles first.

In general, I notice that the payout is about $1/mile or slightly higher, on typical trips that don't take longer than usual.

17 x 4 = $68 = So I would have estimated around $68 for the fare, after I know the mileage.

Originally the fare was $83.86.
This morning, I wake up after a LATE night, and look at my results last night, and it is now $45.97!
"Last trip" still shows $83.86
W
T
F
?

45.97 for 17 miles is something like 2.7x surge... not 4x surge

Pax were OK, zoned out, - but they just came from a concert so that is to be expected.
They don't know any better, so I can't much blame them for whining to Uber about their fare.
I also don't (personally) blame them for 1-starring me(because of their complete ignorance of the situation), although it does make me angry. (can i still change their rating to 1-star?) (intoxicated, dangerous pickup location, didn't understand surge, couldn't process the traffic situation, whined after the fact, got 5 stars from me and a polite send off)

Picked them up in a tough spot near police, followed the GPS perfectly, got them to their hotel safely.

My best guess is that GPS took me around the part of the highway that was closed due to a major accident, and then 'wasted' Pax cried about their Fare & got together across the globe w/ Uber 'support' , and created this small miracle of ignorance and driver frustration...

Can anyone read my tired rantings, and offer any thing useful?
Should i just 'eat' the 20-40 and chalk it up to Ship Happens ?

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
It is confusing to me because it seems that there was likely a mileage adjustment, AND a surge adjustment --As the final mileage shown should have resulted in a higher fare with 4.0x surge.

A mileage adjustment I could live with, but a surge adjustment and a one star rating are a kick in the balls

#4 ·
There is little or no logic to any of this. They have complete idiots handling customer support. The general rule to responding is to find the first keyword and reply with a copy and paste answer which has nothing to do with your request. Keep replying. When I don't get a cancellation feel they will send me a BS email, I reply telling them it's unacceptable and demand the fee, usually get it on the second or third try.

#8 ·
They claim they were quoted $57 , and that the fare was over $100. They claim the route was not direct.

My pay was $83 on the original fare. Not sure if the Uber fee + Driver Fare would have exceeded $100 in that case, but possible($17+ uber fee?). - Also when the fare is mostly surge (4.0x surge in this case), I seem to remember the Uber fee being a lesser percentage (more in line with the base rate than the whole surge included rate).

More importantly, there's no way he got quoted $57 for 17 miles @ 4.0 surge.

I followed the GPS, and I saw that the route was unexpected, and I actually turned the GPS volume 'on' so there would be no confusion before I took the turn in question.

Even if you say "the GPS was wrong and we will not charge the passenger(and not pay the Driver), it wasn't a $40 difference.

After they "adjust" a route for a direct route, the mileage/min is what they calculate (in this case 17miles 19min)
So 17 miles x $1min = $17 , $17 x 4surge = $68 (not 46...)

life goes on

#10 ·
You basically have to accuse Uber of wage theft.
Demand the money that you earned. Be persistent and point out repeatedly that the pax were inebriated and had no clue where they were going.
Never offer a compromise to Uber. Stand your ground and get paid correctly, screw the drunk pax and Uber, you need to look out for yourself.

#11 ·
1. replied
2. uber responded with passenger's BS reasoning
3. I replied again , offered compromise

waiting
4. Uber did right by me, and restored the original fare! :)
Will be reflected next pay period (fell on Sunday night)

My aunt heard the news and she is peeved about the ratings hit not being reversed, but I am happy.

#13 ·
What does your aunt have to do with anything? Are you paying her to use her car?
She happens to be in my social circle and we bounce ideas back and forth and share news.
Nothing to do with the business issue, just an offhand personal comment that I shared with the uberpeople family.

She thinks Uber should have the traffic data for the accident and delete the 1-star rating from this trip.
I'm moving forward. Tired of thinking about this, and glad Uber did me right by the fare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.