Uber Rating & Awkward Rides (aka mind the boundaries)

Ellie Do

Hi everyone, I'm a rider and I've noticed a trend that I think some drivers should be told about :frown:
There's one nationality dominating driving Ubers in Melbourne and they just don't understand what to say and ask like there's no boundaries.
To give you a bit of a background, I'm in my twenties, I'm a professional working in the city, I'm a female and I'm from Europe so I obviously have an accent.

When I get in an Uber, I'm usually juggling a few things - emails, payments for somethings, trying to research something or mentally get ready for a meeting if that's where I'm headed. I'm polite and courteous, I give 5 star rating like 95% of time.

But also sometimes when I get in an Uber I'm hearing something like: you look nice, you smell nice, your accent - where are you from, what visa did come on, how do I get a job in Australia etc etc etc etc. It's as equally uncomfortable taking compliments from a random creep as well engaging in the convo with someone discussing my PR which I think is personal.

I always sit at the back and as soon as it gets personal I try to brush it off politely with something like I need to respond to this email etc.

Funnily enough, every time I get a creep like that my rating drops. Would be great if Uber had more female drivers :frown:

Guys, seriously. Skip these personal questions and comments. See immigration lawyer, recruitment person to solve your problems, get yourself a girlfriend to give compliments to. Talk to me about climate change, comedy festival or how cold it is for the beginning of the summer.

D-River

Hi everyone, I'm a rider and I've noticed a trend that I think some drivers should be told about :frown:
There's one nationality dominating driving Ubers in Melbourne and they just don't understand what to say and ask like there's no boundaries.
To give you a bit of a background, I'm in my twenties, I'm a professional working in the city, I'm a female and I'm from Europe so I obviously have an accent.

When I get in an Uber, I'm usually juggling a few things - emails, payments for somethings, trying to research something or mentally get ready for a meeting if that's where I'm headed. I'm polite and courteous, I give 5 star rating like 95% of time.

But also sometimes when I get in an Uber I'm hearing something like: you look nice, you smell nice, your accent - where are you from, what visa did come on, how do I get a job in Australia etc etc etc etc. It's as equally uncomfortable taking compliments from a random creep as well engaging in the convo with someone discussing my PR which I think is personal.

I always sit at the back and as soon as it gets personal I try to brush it off politely with something like I need to respond to this email etc.

Funnily enough, every time I get a creep like that my rating drops. Would be great if Uber had more female drivers :frown:

Guys, seriously. Skip these personal questions and comments. See immigration lawyer, recruitment person to solve your problems, get yourself a girlfriend to give compliments to. Talk to me about climate change, comedy festival or how cold it is for the beginning of the summer.
I assume your talking about our friends from India trying to get a PR.

Report them.

If they’re not able to get a PR the proper way by having a legit reason to be here they should be deported.

we don’t need any more immigrants coming to Australia to clog up the rideshare system and weasel their way into Australia.

mysterylife38

Ratings is a typical corporate feel-good mumbo jumbo. It has zero value/utility in real life, for both riders as well as drivers. I only speak, if spoken to otherrwise happy to have a quite ride from point A to point B. So, don't bother with your rating as you can't change the behaviour of some of the drivers. If you feel unsafe, rate 1 and move on.

zanboor

Agree with you, they shouldn’t ask personal questions and as above, just rate them 1 star and even report them. The less of those ants on the road the better for all of us.
The majority of rideshare drivers are decent people trying to pay the bills :redface:

Ellie Do

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I generally feel bad to report people and never done it. If they're hustlers and there was some sort of miscommunication I'm happy to move on. My point was less personal stuff and just a friendly chit chat is fine to make it less awkward.
On the other note, there are heaps of really amazing drivers out there! So my feedback was far not for everyone :smiles:

Royals

Hey Neil

I know you come in different shapes’n’sizes, but now you have become sweet pink Europium.

Request Shebah next time, little princess.

Pay peenutts, get monkeys otherwise.
:thumbup:

MasterAnt

If it wasnt for the peanuts uber pay us drivers, you wouldnt even get a glance let alone endless mindless convo. Also, riders ask personal questions so we dish it out sometimes to get a balance and to also indirectly communicate that personal questions are annoying from either side. Ur being european female does not mean a damn thing to an uber driver who just wants some nice coin or sleep. So please get over yourself and your race horse.

MasterAnt

Lol so u can have one less ant on the road why are u so harsh and anti ant or do u really think one less ant will mean more peanuts 4 u.

The more riders are pissed off the better i think coz it will bring them back down to earth. What is dished out to drivers is worse and more like doors being slammed, asked personal questions even sometimes touched and maybe more all from trollie do's likes. Also this is race baiting post which is irrelevant and pointless and also a bit attention seeking. You could have skipped race info and got to ur point please refrain from personal questions as it is uncomfortable and uncalled for etc as i have stuff to do. Plus a chitchat about climate change is still talk so anyway thanks for ur pointless feedback. We appreciate ur trollesty.

Hussyboy81

Skip these personal questions and comments.
Ditto from a driver to a Rider.

STOP asking me how much I make doing ride-share. STOP asking me "are you with your family here, how many kids have you got". STOP asking me silly questions like how my night has been, if it has been busy or not.

Sit in the corner, get immersed in your mobile, let me drive you from A to B - that's what my job is. And if you still want to give me a 1*, I really don't care :p

Ellie Do

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ditto from a driver to a Rider.

STOP asking me how much I make doing ride-share. STOP asking me "are you with your family here, how many kids have you got". STOP asking me silly questions like how my night has been, if it has been busy or not.

Sit in the corner, get immersed in your mobile, let me drive you from A to B - that's what my job is. And if you still want to give me a 1*, I really don't care :p
Can't believe people ask that! You sound like a perfect driver :biggrin: