When Uber lowers rates in January- Lyft should respond by?

• Match Uber's price cut, but allow the passengers to award badges

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johncarlsbad

I was just wondering what you all feel would be best response from Lyft if Uber does their much anticipated price cut after the first of the year?

LuisEnrikee

They'll have to compete . Lyft isn't going anywhere lol. They make money off of doing nothing . Would you leave the market?

2Peaks

I'm looking to Lyft to shift to attracting the Uber drivers, get more drivers to their platform.

You don't have to be the cheapest, you just have to be the best value. Value in a commodity business derives from reliability and consistency.

Another SD driver

Not sure why anyone thinks they won't mimic Uber. They tried not lowering their rates one year and it backfired badly. Ended up making rates even lower than Uber to get customers back.

Regardless, in a month people will be whining and complaining up a storm about how shocked they are, how they're going to quit, and how sorry Uber and Lyft will be when they do. But guess what? Uber and Lyft don't care. They never have cared, and they never will care. If you aren't happy, don't drive.

But people will drive, and they will talk about how awesome it is at the lower rates, completely oblivious to the fact that Uber and Lyft have been whittling away at their paychecks for the better part of 5 years. Then when April rolls around, and they raise the rates back up (but not quite where they used to be) the market will be flooded with drivers and you won't be able to get a ride.

This is the annual Uber and Lyft experience. Enjoy.

2Peaks

You are right, Lyft will chase the same 50 cent piece as Uber.
But the OP asked for the best response from Lyft, not the likely response.

Poopy54

If anything Uber should be raising fees....its been long enough that most pax need Uber and Lyft.....a minor raise in fees may create a grumble, but they are still riding for less than a cab. They will continue to ride, just like anything else, prices go up, not down.

And 6 months from now during spring and summer raise it another 10-20%, They will gripe, but still continue to use it, and STILL be less than a cab

Lyft-only Driver

If anything Uber should be raising fees....its been long enough that most pax need Uber and Lyft.....a minor raise in fees may create a grumble, but they are still riding for less than a cab. They will continue to ride, just like anything else, prices go up, not down.

And 6 months from now during spring and summer raise it another 10-20%, They will gripe, but still continue to use it, and STILL be less than a cab

From your lips to God's ears. But it ain't gonna happen. Uber's end game is to make it so inexpensive that people sell their own personal cars, and rely on Uber for every trip: work commute, grocery store, Grandma's house, and everything in between. They're setting it all up for their eventual fleet of driverless vehicles. And once they get everyone in the world dependent on Uber, they can charge whatever they want.

Blackout 702

Regardless, in a month people will be whining and complaining up a storm about how shocked they are, how they're going to quit... Then when April rolls around, and they raise the rates back up (but not quite where they used to be) the market will be flooded with drivers and you won't be able to get a ride.
So when the rates are lowered we get screwed so we quit, and when the rates are raised we get screwed because the market gets flooded with drivers. Wow. It's like no matter what happens we can find a way to look at in negatively.

IrishEd29

So when the rates are lowered we get screwed so we quit, and when the rates are raised we get screwed because the market gets flooded with drivers. Wow. It's like no matter what happens we can find a way to look at in negatively.

I was once like you, a couple years ago. I came on here and thought everyone was being negative just to be negative. Dont get me wrong...there are some people on this forum that just like to @@@@@ to hear their own voice.
However 2 years later having gone through these price cuts and then the raising again after...I can tell you that looking at this negatively is accurate.
This gig used to be good when I first started. Now it is tough to make (CONSISTENTLY) good money. You said it correctly... we get screwed when they lower the prices (you will see how much of a diff the price cut will make in your earnings), and we get screwed these days with over saturation as well in the spring/summer months.
Its still a decent gig, and I choose to do it still...but not the way I used to. I used to do it full time. Very difficult to pay the bills these days doing it full time.

Blackout 702

I was once like you, a couple years ago. I came on here and thought everyone was being negative just to be negative. Dont get me wrong...there are some people on this forum that just like to ***** to hear their own voice.
However 2 years later having gone through these price cuts and then the raising again after...I can tell you that looking at this negatively is accurate.
This gig used to be good when I first started. Now it is tough to make (CONSISTENTLY) good money. You said it correctly... we get screwed when they lower the prices (you will see how much of a diff the price cut will make in your earnings), and we get screwed these days with over saturation as well in the spring/summer months.
Its still a decent gig, and I choose to do it still...but not the way I used to. I used to do it full time. Very difficult to pay the bills these days doing it full time.
You do realize that both things can't be true at the same time, right? If you say that we get screwed when prices are high and when prices are low, then the same logic can be applied to say we benefit when prices are high (better paychecks, hurray!) and when prices are low (less competition, hurray!).

Sharkb8

I'm very unpopular so I'll predict Select, Black, & SUV will get price cuts & they'll leave all others alone. Quack!

IrishEd29

You do realize that both things can't be true at the same time, right? If you say that we get screwed when prices are high and when prices are low, then the same logic can be applied to say we benefit when prices are high (better paychecks, hurray!) and when prices are low (less competition, hurray!).

No I dont realize that at all. I disagree with you entirely. That is the point...and the sad reality....both are absolutely true at the same time. We are screwed both ways, and regardless. We are screwed when prices are lowered as we take home far less, and we are screwed when prices are at regular levals as there are so many drivers. It is very diffiuclt to get rides as easily as it was even a year ago.

The point is that we dont have good odds to make money these days whether its winter and prices are low, or whether its summer and every stay at home mom, college student, retiree, military, slacker, and ffull timers are out in droves. This summer we had over 15k uber drivers. Surges are far and few for a reason...there are so many drivers out there. I had my worst summer (profit wise) yet, and this was my 3rd summer doing this. How do you explain a veteran like me, that knows most angles and all the ins and outs of how to be successful doing this gig, and yet I still am struggling to make what I need to this summer.
Guess what...them lowering the prices soon is not going to help me make money. So its been rough with current price levels and will still be rough when they lower prices, hence "both are true at the same time"
Im not sure what you are not understanding about this. There is never a good time for us to work for Uber any more. Its a below average paying job now a days. I guess you too will need to go through an entire calender year before you grasp or maybe just believe it.

Blackout 702

No I dont realize that at all. I disagree with you entirely. That is the point...and the sad reality....both are absolutely true at the same time. We are screwed both ways, and regardless. ... There is never a good time for us to work for Uber any more. Its a below average paying job now a days. I guess you too will need to go through an entire calender year before you grasp or maybe just believe it.
Good lord. It's an entry level job that requires the skill of of teenager and a tool that everyone has. Who is this "we" that can't figure out 1) how to make it work, and 2) if it doesn't work for you, you can quit any time you'd like. It took you two years to see that a job you aren't making money at isn't a good job for you? Awesome. Quit. An adult who stays two years (or two days) at a job that requires almost no skill and doesn't pay enough money might want to seriously reconsider his choices.

IrishEd29

Wow... you are realing mixing points now. Who said I have stayed 2 years when it wasnt working??? It has been great untill this last year when all the newbies like you oversaturated the market and ruined it. I did this gig because I was doing very well the last couple years. Now things have changed. That was the point of me repsonding to you....is that NOW A DAYS, it is not working regardless of what the price is. Which is why I have moved on to subsidize my income elsewhere
Pretty rude comments for you to take it to a personal level.
And you are wrong again...there is def a skill set in this job my friend. There are analytics to help us become effecient, and the level of customer service we provide ABSOLUTELY influences our pay via tips, as well as REPEAT customers. I average at least $40 /night in tips, and have a list of over 10 locals that text me everytime they want a ride. YThere are def things we can do to make more $$ then other drivers.

Anyway, you are obviously new and on the mission to just argue and truthfully, we are off topic now...so moving on. You enjoy yourself out there. Lots of luck.

2Peaks

It's a commodities business.

There is some skills involved but not rocket science skills.

It is one thing to lament new drivers, yet another to resent them. If Uber wasn't chasing market share an equilibrium would eventually be reached with fares and drivers.

Think. Lower rates, fewer drivers. Higher rates... existing drivers would drive more.

Unless you want to "coerce"people into not driving... accept the invisible hand.

NCRBILL

Go ahead and tell yourself that driving a car is a skilled profession, I don't mind. And apparently you haven't "moved on," because, well, here you are.
Spoken by someone who drives in Las Vegas. Or at least that is what you have on the profile

Blackout 702

Spoken by someone who drives in Las Vegas. Or at least that is what you have on the profile
Yes, literally everything that I say is spoken by someone who lives in Las Vegas. I'm sorry, is driving a car a "skilled profession" in other cities?

MidKnightHer

image.jpeg

This job has a high risk of death and/or injury. Skill comes into play when minimizing risk.

The act of Driving anyone can do it.