UBER PLATFORM: Why it's a great idea to always send thanks for a tip

_Tron_

Most know that late last year, after much begging, Uber gave drivers the ability to thank a passenger for tipping. By bringing up the Trip Details one can tap on the SEND THANKS TO PASSENGER.

1603214978774.png
1603215041558.png

And, for at least some drivers (all?), the feature broke a while back. Tapping the button failed to change the label to THANKS SENT. Like so many features of the app that used to work and then are suddenly broken, it takes Uber months to fix what shouldn't have broken in the first place. But now (at least in my market) the facility is working again.

So why should all drivers always send thanks for a tip? Regardless of size? The late Billy Graham built a virtual money machine for his evangelical empire in the latter half of the Twentieth Century by instituting a policy of always sending thank you letters for donations of any size. Graham learned that people loved to be acknowledged for giving. After the thank you letter policy was engaged repeat donations went up significantly.

It's that simple. Although you may never be matched again with the customer you send thanks to it may help the next driver. If we all do it, we help each other. What's not to love?

Bizzy Beezus

When the option to send a thank you for the tip first became available in my area, I would only send a thank you if the tip was $5+.

I now send a thank you for any tip because I figure that if I were handed any tip in person, I would smile and say thank you.

I agree that reinforcing good behavior is a positive habit.

Judge and Jury

When the option to send a thank you for the tip first became available in my area, I would only send a thank you if the tip was $5+.

I now send a thank you for any tip because I figure that if I were handed any tip in person, I would smile and say thank you.

I agree that reinforcing good behavior is a positive habit.
I especially like the thank you notice feature when the tip is ridiculously low. Shaming low tip clients is probably an unintended consequence.

SuzeCB

Most know that late last year, after much begging, Uber gave drivers the ability to thank a passenger for tipping. By bringing up the Trip Details one can tap on the SEND THANKS TO PASSENGER.

View attachment 517034 View attachment 517036

And, for at least some drivers (all?), the feature broke a while back. Tapping the button failed to change the label to THANKS SENT. Like so many features of the app that used to work and then are suddenly broken, it takes Uber months to fix what shouldn't have broken in the first place. But now (at least in my market) the facility is working again.

So why should all drivers always send thanks for a tip? Regardless of size? The late Billy Graham built a virtual money machine for his evangelical empire in the latter half of the Twentieth Century by instituting a policy of always sending thank you letters for donations of any size. Graham learned that people loved to be acknowledged for giving. After the thank you letter policy was engaged repeat donations went up significantly.

It's that simple. Although you may never be matched again with the customer you send thanks to it may help the next driver. If we all do it, we help each other. What's not to love?
Just pay attention to the screen. In CA, sending a thank you includes a claim that you support Prop 22...

This will probably be repeated any time Uber wishes, in any market they want to make a political statement in.

Judge and Jury

Just pay attention to the screen. In CA, sending a thank you includes a claim that you support Prop 22...

This will probably be repeated any time Uber wishes, in any market they want to make a political statement in.
Well, in my case, that would be accurate.

Who in their right mind would want to be an actual employee of the devious gig app companies?

Vote YES on prop. 22, the lesser of evils.

_Tron_

For some reason my app does not have that notice. Yet. In any case, be aware that Uber is already bombarding pax with pro 22 messages on their app. One of the message states to "ask your driver about 22".

• Wow
Reactions: MHR

Arthur Dent

Just recently helped a homeless Dude off a Craigslist post. He was asking for food, I've stopped giving $$ to the homeless but give food a lot.
Well I delivered some burritos along with a bunch of other foodstuffs, even some pot.

Never did get a thank you but did get a request for MORE burritos. Had to explain to him that I would have been delighted to give more IF he would have simply gave me a thank you for the first one's...

UberBeemer

View attachment 517034 View attachment 517036

I tip on every eats order i make, and haven't seen a thank you yet. So i wonder whether they pass that along, or use it as a metric to guage what you will accept as fares keep creeping lower.

Coachman

I think there are some serious flaws with the Billy Graham analogy. Many very successful people have made a habit of sending thank you notes.

That said, I don't begrudge anybody who thanks for tips. It's a nice cause you have. Good luck.

_Tron_

I think there are some serious flaws with the Billy Graham analogy. Many very successful people have made a habit of sending thank you notes.

Of course they do. There are many examples. I used the Graham analog as one concrete example.

SuzeCB

That said, I don't begrudge anybody who thanks for tips. It's a nice cause you have. Good luck.
It's said Jackie Kennedy-Onassis wrote back to each and every person that wrote condolences to her after JFK was killed. Class act.

What's NOT a class act is to attach a political stance to an act of gratitude that has zip to do with politics.

Or maybe it actually is a lot of class...

LOW class.