1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber Plans to Check Up on Idle Cars in New Safety Measures

Discussion in 'News' started by BurgerTiime, Sep 5, 2018.

1. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-check-up-on-idle-cars-in-new-safety-measures
    [​IMG]

If you sit in an Uber car for too long, the ride-hailing company plans to check up on you to make sure all is OK.

Uber Technologies Inc. unveiled on Wednesday meant to make trips safer for riders and drivers. Others include an emergency button for drivers, voice-activated commands and anonymous pickup addresses -- using cross streets, for example.

Catastrophes of all sorts -- collisions, assaults, rape and even murder -- take place in ride-hailing vehicles around the globe. Didi Chuxing, China’s largest service for booking car rides, is trying to avert a customer boycott after two women were allegedly killedby their drivers over the last few months. Didi said on Tuesday that it was suspending late-night service on the mainland for a week as it works on new safety measures.

2. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    "If you sit in an Uber car for too long, the ride-hailing company plans to check up on you to make sure all is OK."

Uber Notification: "Your vehicle has not moved in 4 hours. Are you okay?"

Driver Reply: "No, I'm not okay. I'm stuck here in the airport queue behind 200 other ants waiting for my next ping so I can drive some non-tipping paxhole to his two-mile destination!"

3. Sacman08

Sacman08 New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Just curious, aside from the long airport pickup queue, how long do drivers usually sit idle waiting for a ping?

4. Asificarewhatyoudontthink

Asificarewhatyoudontthink Well-Known Member

You guys do realize it is talking about passengers sitting in idle Ubers for long times (like when they are getting raped) and don't give a fig about drivers...
    What I want is warnings to riders about drivers are not responsible for your personal items (anchors) left in vehicle if a stop lasts longer than 3 minutes.

SatMan, 2Cents and BurgerTiime like this.
  5. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

Just another dumb idea from Uber that does nothing useful at all.

You can't even call this a safety measure since there is nothing safe about it.

There's nothing safe about having a driver pick up a pax on a street instead of having the actual address of the pax. While Uber is doing stupid things, Lyft atleast appears to scoff at doing most stupid **** that Uber does.

6. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    News story reads: "That’s one of several new features Uber Technologies Inc. unveiled on Wednesday meant to make trips safer for riders and drivers. Others include an emergency button for drivers......"

7. father of unicorns

father of unicorns Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Me, no more than 30 minutes, even if I am at the airport.

8. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust Well-Known Member

Some drivers on this forum claim to have sat for up to three or four hours without a ping. I would assume they have retired by now.

Much ado about nothing as usual.

9. Stevie The magic Unicorn

Stevie The magic Unicorn Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Some airport queues are ridiculous, other places have absolutely dreadful slow seasons.

10. Sacman08

Sacman08 New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    My current record for sitting idle and no pings is at 22 minutes and I can’t do airport pickup (my car is too old).
    The longest I went without a ping was driving back from a 35 miles drop off and getting closer to my preferred area to do rides. I forgot I was online because it didn’t ping me so long. 1 hr 45 minutes in rush hour traffic.

11. Kodyhead

Kodyhead Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    If you drive higher platforms lol it gets bad sometimes. I work from home but there has been times where I got no rides for 20+hours

Depends on the airport but I've waited over a 3 hours but xl is as low as I go.

Even when I used to do x only there was times I waited 2 hours but that was a while back.

12. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

Basically just propaganda and a new way to blow money on something stupid. There is literally no reason for this. That's what cell phones are for. So basically you're going to tell Uber you're in trouble and they are going to call 911 for you ? How is that faster than you calling 911 yourself ?