1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber paying bonus to drive at UCONN

Discussion in 'Connecticut' started by Jaker, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Jaker

Jaker New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I received text from uber offering a bonus to drivers that would drive at UCONN for the weekend. Drivers must do a minimum of eight trips, and the driver with the most trips over the weekend would get a $50 bonus. That's great because Toland pays more than Hartford per hour, but the problem is I went to UCONN last weekend and notice most of the trips only about a mile to a mile and a half because all the bars are next to the campus and that's where most of the kids want to go to. Only picking up about five or six dollars a trip with no tips from college kids, then minus one dollar off the top for safe driver fee plus Uber,s 20% really did not seem worth it to me .

2. JaniceCT

JaniceCT Well-Known Member

I had to drive someone there recently so I decided to stick around. From the campus, all I got was picking up a student to drive them across campus. I was surprised at that since they have shuttle buses. I got one call from another student 20 mins away at ECSU, for a decent ride.

Students have lots of options for public transport, and not many uber drivers there so I don't think many of them think of it. More likely get a ride from a non student there for business reasons

3. Zoots Alures

Zoots Alures Active Member

Driving:
    UberPREMIUM
    Here's one for all of you: Go online to UCONN's Men's & Women's HOME Basketball games that are being played in Hartford's XL Center. If you loiter nearby campus within two hours of tip off you should capitalize and pick up a group of students. If & When you do and if they pass muster - they'll need a ride back. They have your encrypted phone number so maybe you can pre-arrange to pick them up at a designated area at a designated time. Once they are all in you and the passenger fire up your Uber App. and accept their request and off you go. The bottom line here is that with a good strategy you can make 80% of the inbound fare on the return trip. Remember, Hartford originations is less expensive .

The exact same strategy applies to UCONN FOOTBALL Home Games as well as Yale Home Games. Yale Campus to Yale Bowl in Westville is about a five-six mile/15-25 min ride on game day

YALE vs. HARVARD is at Yale this year. If you start early like at 9:30am on Saturday you should be able to make multiple trips on both ends of the game. Everybody loves a good tailgate party at Yale & Rennsler..

4. JaniceCT

JaniceCT Well-Known Member

Don't they have shuttle buses to get them to Hartford ?

I once fought through traffic to pick up a ride at the last uconn football game just to bring them to a hotel 5 mins away. Complete waste

Chauncey Bivitz likes this.
  5. JasonCT

JasonCT Member

Driving:
    UberX
    They do have shuttle buses but sometimes the students miss them for whatever reason.
    I've had a couple rides to games, but the majority of the university work is from one end of campus to the other with the occasion ride to either Willimantic, Manchester, or Hartford.

This is just my experience from working in that area almost daily, but you may have different experiences.

Chauncey Bivitz likes this.
  6. DanJamesUber

DanJamesUber New Member

I've had the same experience as Jaker driving around UCONN on a Friday or Saturday night. Lot of short 5 dollar fares to the nearby on campus bars. Funny how they're going to a bar and are undoubtedly tipping the bartenders, but most often never think twice about tipping us drivers. Anyone try UCONN during the day on the weekend? I ask because a lot of students do not have cars and a decent number of kids might want to travel home on the weekend once and a while. Just an idea but could be some decent fares there..... Thoughts?

7. JasonCT

JasonCT Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The daytime is pretty much dead from my experience, UCONN has an extensive bus system that pretty much covers everything the students need (all of campus, willimantic/windham, etc.) so the occasional riders are people who either have the money to take ubers everywhere or missed their buses.

DanJamesUber likes this.
  8. JasonCT

JasonCT Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Uber is doing another promotion in the area this weekend.

$20/hr from 8p-3a both Fri and Sat nights.

Just a heads up if anyone's interested.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    DanJamesUber likes this.