• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber Passenger Caused Accident - HELP!

Romythequeen

Hello all,

I am desperate for any additional insight other drivers may have into my situation.

Several weeks ago, I picked up three passengers for an Uber ride. Less than 3 minutes into the ride, a “passenger guest” (extra rider under whoever called the fare) suddenly exited the vehicle on the drivers side and within seconds, the vehicle to our left took off and took my car door with them. (Slight exaggeration, door was knocked off one of two hinges and ultimately left a 2 foot gap trying to close)

I immediately dialed 911 and reported the accident, as I started to exit the vehicle to check out the other car’s plates who had stopped a little over
200 yards away, while all other traffic around ya drove around, that vehicle drove away. While all this was happening, the tool that opened the door panicked telling some incoherent stuff, then took off running. The other two stayed with me. (Including the one who called the ride)

While we waited for police to arrive, I was able to move the vehicle into a nearby empty lot and called to report the incident directly to Uber. At this point my riders are begging me to leave and I directly ask the Uber support on the line if they are free to go and whether or not Uber had the necessary contact information. I was assured that yes, they had all necessary info for the ride holder and that could leave. So they did.

Minutes later, the police arrived and advised me that all parties had a legal obligation to stay at the scene of the accident until information was collected for the report. (Awesome.)

Ultimately, Uber left me responsible for the tow, storage fees, and of course the $1,000 deductible weeks later to pick up my repaired vehicle. I was assured at first, that yes, they would consider holding the passengers responsible based on the report and to wait to hear from the incident support team.

Two days later, I finally hear from support, who send me with any and all questions to the claims adjuster designated by Uber. Every conversation I’ve had with the insurance company, I have been redirected to contact Uber about holding the passengers responsible for damages.

We are now three weeks out from the incident, contacted Uber again..... was referred 6x to their accident and insurance policy, then finally to contact the claims adjuster. I can’t wrap my head around this, if a passengers vomits, they are immediately charged a clean up fee.

If a passenger exits a moving vehicle mid-fare...... how I am held liable for the cost of damages??

Anyone else ever experience a similar passenger related accident?

Attachments

DAG

WOW! I empathize with you, but don't have any solutions and am too ignorant to address the legal questions. Just curious,
1. Do you have rideshare coverage with your personal insurer? If "yes", can they help you meander this maze?
2. You certainly were inconvenienced and lost income while car was in shop, perhaps have some unexplained aches that occurred after the accident and not attributable to anything else as you observed them over several weeks. Also, the culprit is guilty of " causing an accident and leaving the scene of an accident". Is all this worth a call to Morgan & Morgan? ...jes askin'.

Romythequeen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi DAG,

Yes, I did add the additional Rideshare coverage through my personal policy. From what I understand, that coverage only protects you during specific time frames. For example, you arrive to pick up a fare and Uber covers you only for the minimum property damage or something- translates to something short of “full” coverage. Once the rider is in the vehicle and you start the trip, Uber’s insurance kicks in at full coverage.

Rideshare coverage in the personal policy only fills in the gap while you’re waiting on a fare to start. I was advised my insurance carrier that once a ride begins, passenger is in the vehicle, they cannot apply coverage as you are then fully under the Uber policy umbrella.

I have called less than 10 law offices around Hillsborough and Pinellas county that specifically list dealing with Uber suits. However, 9/10 only take in cases with personal injuries involved. Several advised that my best bet would be small claims court to recover the damages as it would likely add up to be under $5,000.

I am at a loss of what to do here... each time I contact and call Uber support, they “escalate” the concern to their incident support team who apparently communicates solely through messaging on the platform. They have literally copied and pasted the same paragraph 3x in one thread, not once addressing the issue or providing the requested update on the case. (Pictured below)

They have directed me to my claims adjuster, who has told me three times over the last several weeks they have not been provided with any passenger information or update, and to contact Uber directly.

I am beyond frustrated, desperate to pay my over due bills, and now a bit paranoid to drive again, given the clear lack of support for safety, both for me as a driver but even for my passengers. If that kid had stepped out 30 seconds faster he could very well be dead. I am at least grateful no one was injured, but am appalled at the response from my “support” provided.

WOW! I empathize with you, but don't have any solutions and am too ignorant to address the legal questions. Just curious,
1. Do you have rideshare coverage with your personal insurer? If "yes", can they help you meander this maze?
2. You certainly were inconvenienced and lost income while car was in shop, perhaps have some unexplained aches that occurred after the accident and not attributable to anything else as you observed them over several weeks. Also, the culprit is guilty of " causing an accident and leaving the scene of an accident". Is all this worth a call to Morgan & Morgan? ...jes askin'.

Attachments

New Uber

call Dan Newlin. Attorney. But the people who caused the accident should have stayed on the scene. They will change their story.

Romythequeen

Thanks for the referral, I will give them a call.

call Dan Newlin. Attorney. But the people who caused the accident should have stayed on the scene. They will change their story.
Post automatically merged:

Tried them... same answer as the other law groups I’ve contacted; they only deal with personal injury cases with or without Uber. ?

DAG

The messages, that RomyTheQueen pasted above, very well could have been computer generated. Technology can do that nowadays. Clearly, UBER has not given you any common sense human responses.
One more observation: I had a spat with a rider once and human UBER speaker told me they NEVER release personal info about riders or drivers. They used some fancy words which I have forgotten; but, it boiled down to a privacy issue.

Romythequeen

The messages, that RomyTheQueen pasted above, very well could have been computer generated. Technology can do that nowadays. Clearly, UBER has not given you any common sense human responses.
One more observation: I had a spat with a rider once and human UBER speaker told me they NEVER release personal info about riders or drivers. They used some fancy words which I have forgotten; but, it boiled down to a privacy issue.
True story... the most recent responses from them directly linked their privacy policies and how law enforcement can file to request information under specified circumstances. ?? I responded requesting procedure for insurance claims requests and they copied and pasted the same links. ??‍♀

They clearly dgaf.

Romythequeen

Update, claim still open through Uber’s insurance policy. Every time I’ve attempted to call the adjuster after Uber has redirected me back to her, I get an automated response or voicemail that she is out of town. Again.

Still haven’t found an attorney that would go near such a small claim, or a thread with a shred of hope ?

Hello all,

I am desperate for any additional insight other drivers may have into my situation.

Several weeks ago, I picked up three passengers for an Uber ride. Less than 3 minutes into the ride, a “passenger guest” (extra rider under whoever called the fare) suddenly exited the vehicle on the drivers side and within seconds, the vehicle to our left took off and took my car door with them. (Slight exaggeration, door was knocked off one of two hinges and ultimately left a 2 foot gap trying to close)

I immediately dialed 911 and reported the accident, as I started to exit the vehicle to check out the other car’s plates who had stopped a little over
200 yards away, while all other traffic around ya drove around, that vehicle drove away. While all this was happening, the tool that opened the door panicked telling some incoherent stuff, then took off running. The other two stayed with me. (Including the one who called the ride)

While we waited for police to arrive, I was able to move the vehicle into a nearby empty lot and called to report the incident directly to Uber. At this point my riders are begging me to leave and I directly ask the Uber support on the line if they are free to go and whether or not Uber had the necessary contact information. I was assured that yes, they had all necessary info for the ride holder and that could leave. So they did.

Minutes later, the police arrived and advised me that all parties had a legal obligation to stay at the scene of the accident until information was collected for the report. (Awesome.)

Ultimately, Uber left me responsible for the tow, storage fees, and of course the $1,000 deductible weeks later to pick up my repaired vehicle. I was assured at first, that yes, they would consider holding the passengers responsible based on the report and to wait to hear from the incident support team.

Two days later, I finally hear from support, who send me with any and all questions to the claims adjuster designated by Uber. Every conversation I’ve had with the insurance company, I have been redirected to contact Uber about holding the passengers responsible for damages.

We are now three weeks out from the incident, contacted Uber again..... was referred 6x to their accident and insurance policy, then finally to contact the claims adjuster. I can’t wrap my head around this, if a passengers vomits, they are immediately charged a clean up fee.

If a passenger exits a moving vehicle mid-fare...... how I am held liable for the cost of damages??

Anyone else ever experience a similar passenger related accident?
this is why i have 2 dash cams in my car! and voice recording inside the car 24/7 and a camera looking inside the car at me and the passengers! in an accident, you don't have time to be looking for a paper and pen and write down the license plate number or whatever! and uber should pay seeing they said the passenger could leave, also i have a conversation recorder on my cell! and a recorder to record any conversation happening in the car, $40 walmart sony! car recorder at the google play store, polaroid dash cam two , ne for the front and one for the back! i also have two go pros one looking at me, which can catch anyone hitting me and one looking at the other passenger sitting next to me and the one behind him! in florida there is no expectation of privacy in a for hirepublic taxi or a public bus. the dash cams now are much better than the old ones i got! it is a great investment! i have videos where drivers are almost hitting me driving against the traffic on 22nd st wich is a one way near ybor city right? sorry to hear of this situation, i hope you get paid, i bet i would possibly have nightmares and not be able to drive anymore due to not being able to sleep! and feel very nervous to drive for uber anymore, might be even a mental issue that can cause pain! who knows what can develop after such a situation right? the insurance adjust might have to settle before more injuries appear!