Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Uber Orderer NOT One of Peeps Being Picked Up (Games & Drunks)

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Michael - Cleveland 
#1 ·
Camouflage Military camouflage Machine gun Military person Marines

So I get pinged from 14 minutes away, and see its a heavy college-kid area.

Damn.

I don't cancel (since I'm more cautious with Uber's new 'you're not really an independent contractor, and we will deactivate you for cancelling trips once you assess the rider, destination, and potential payout' rules.

I head toward the college area 'ping of doom'.

I text the riders, letting them know I'm 13 minutes away, 5 minutes away, and 1 minute away.

I get to a gated community, no gate code (right), and no response to any texts.

I KNOW, good times await, you say!

I call from the closed gate, and get the rider who ordered saying 'come down to another gate' (although the Uber address put me here, at this one), and I play along, asking him to text me the gate code.

I drive down to his new gate directions, and find there is a MASSIVE backup (looks like a 'demolition derby') of cars at the gate he's sent me to, and I WANT to cancel, but I'm thinking 'good thoughts', and don't.

I try calling him back as I'm finally next in line to get through the gate and still have no gate code, and I get no answer.

I slip in behind the driver ahead of me, dodging the gate coming down, and head to the pickup point.

I'm now 20 minutes in to my trip, with limited rider contact, and I see the writing on the wall, sadly.

I call back to tell him I'm outside, and he tells me to look for 3 people dressed 'like this (description)'.

I ask, "so you're not with them"?

He says NO.

OMG, the clue bird choir JUST SANG!

I see the college students, and I pull over and load everyone in.

I start to my trip, and see no destination is input (they have had 20 minutes to do it, but didn't).

I ask them what address we are going to?

I have 3 child-beasts (1 guy, 2 girls), masquerading as college-age adults, in the car with me I realize very quickly, due to the following facts.

I get from 'frat brother-stud' 'I know where we're going just start driving'.

I share with him how "I need to input the correct data now, before we start the drive, for Uber's insurance policy."

Buffy # 1, the apparent 4 year-old but now a sorority sister in back, says, "just drive, we don't want to wait on that stuff".

I again politely state that we need to put this information in to proceed on my journey with them, and I learn that NONE OF THEM have the address to where we are going, just a 'general knowledge' of the area.

I've also assessed that said child-beasts are all drunk, and a little high on 'Puff the magic dragon stuff'.

This is a true story, don't you stop reading now, you little doubting Thomas, you.

I politely ask my young 'just out of diapers, college students' to kindly text or call someone to get us a destination address.

These next words I'm about to type bring me much sadness, for 'frats' and 'sors' (i know, would you abbreviate country?, and all).

These young child-beasts took 13 MORE minutes of snapchats, instagrams, phone calls from folks calling them asking about their days adventures, which they each kindly answered, as if they were just hanging out, which in hindsight, I realize they were, like children waiting on recess to be over.

Finally, we got an address, and I entered it.

I've now had the pleasure of 43 minutes or so of time with this situation, and I'm about to got drop the young children off, finally.

As I start to head toward the gate, the ride is CANCELED, by the rider who is NOT in the car.

Oh, my heart just jumped with joy, don't you know.

I told my young child-beasts what just happened, and they briefly looked up from their snapchats (I kid you not when I tell you I saw them record at least 19 snapchat videos, play them back and laugh, and then send them off to other child beasts during this glorious time frame), Instagrams, etc to tell me no way!

Way.

They tried calling and texting the rider who ordered and canceled, but got voicemail.

Buffy # 2, said "I will just re-order you, since you're here anyway".

I made a HUGE mistake, I must say, and I shot myself in the proverbial head, RIGHT HERE, at this critical moment.

I first said, 'No, I should probably just call it a night, and let you guys order someone else'.

I was missing a surge near downtown Charlotte, and I was so capitalistically sad.

As I spoke these words, Buffy # 2 had already pressed her Uber button, and my screen lit up again.

I fall back on the time tested self-defense of 'I had a Pavlovian response' (Google it), and I watched that little Uber ticker start counting down, with these 3 child-beasts all watching me more than they had at any point till now.

I accepted it.

I shot myself in the proverbial head, right then, and not a priest in the world could give me proper last rights.

20 minutes LATER, after the wrong address was found to be entered for the destination (whoda thunk?), and I used my backup GPS to get them to their next party, I FINALLY dropped the child-beasts off.

My Uber-liscious fare was all of 16 bucks, for over an hour of my final, independent-contractor time.

What was my Uber-liscious rider score from these child-beasts, you ask?

Well, I guess my child-beasts scored me around a 1, based on the drop I saw the next morning.

Uber.

The joke is on us.

The drivers.

See less See more
#2 ·
View attachment 12570

Damn.

I don't cancel (since I'm more cautious with Uber's new 'you're not really an independent contractor, and we will deactivate you for cancelling trips once you assess the rider, destination, and potential payout' rules.

I text the riders, letting them know I'm 13 minutes away, 5 minutes away, and 1 minute away.

I call from the closed gate, and get the rider who ordered saying 'come down to another gate' (although the Uber address put me here, at this one), and I play along, asking him to text me the gate code.

I drive down to his new gate directions, and find there is a MASSIVE backup (looks like a 'demolition derby') of cars at the gate he's sent me to, and I WANT to cancel, but I'm thinking 'good thoughts', and don't.

I try calling him back as I'm finally next in line to get through the gate and still have no gate code, and I get no answer.

I slip in behind the driver ahead of me, dodging the gate coming down, and head to the pickup point.

I'm now 20 minutes in to my trip, with limited rider contact, and I see the writing on the wall, sadly.

I call back to tell him I'm outside, and he tells me to look for 3 people dressed 'like this (description)'.

He says NO.

I start to my trip, and see no destination is input (they have had 20 minutes to do it, but didn't).

I have 3 child-beasts (1 guy, 2 girls), masquerading as college-age adults, in the car with me I realize very quickly, due to the following facts.

I share with him how "I need to input the correct data now, before we start the drive, for Uber's insurance policy."

Buffy # 1, the apparent 4 year-old but now a sorority sister in back, says, "just drive, we don't want to wait on that stuff".

I again politely state that we need to put this information in to proceed on my journey with them, and I learn that NONE OF THEM have the address to where we are going, just a 'general knowledge' of the area.

I've also assessed that said child-beasts are all drunk, and a little high on 'Puff the magic dragon stuff'.

This is a true story, don't you stop reading now, you little doubting Thomas, you.

I politely ask my young 'just out of diapers, college students' to kindly text or call someone to get us a destination address.

These next words I'm about to type bring me much sadness, for 'frats' and 'sors' (i know, would you abbreviate country?, and all).

These young child-beasts took 13 MORE minutes of snapchats, instagrams, phone calls from folks calling them asking about their days adventures, which they each kindly answered, as if they were just hanging out, which in hindsight, I realize they were, like children waiting on recess to be over.

I've now had the pleasure of 43 minutes or so of time with this situation, and I'm about to got drop the young children off, finally.

As I start to head toward the gate, the ride is CANCELED, by the rider who is NOT in the car.

I told my young child-beasts what just happened, and they briefly looked up from their snapchats (I kid you not when I tell you I saw them record at least 19 snapchat videos, play them back and laugh, and then send them off to other child beasts during this glorious time frame), Instagrams, etc to tell me no way!

Way.

They tried calling and texting the rider who ordered and canceled, but got voicemail.

I made a HUGE mistake, I must say, and I shot myself in the proverbial head, RIGHT HERE, at this critical moment.

I first said, 'No, I should probably just call it a night, and let you guys order someone else'.

I was missing a surge near downtown Charlotte, and I was so capitalistically sad.

As I spoke these words, Buffy # 2 had already pressed her Uber button, and my screen lit up again.

I fall back on the time tested self-defense of 'I had a Pavlovian response' (Google it), and I watched that little Uber ticker start counting down, with these 3 child-beasts all watching me more than they had at any point till now.

I accepted it.

I shot myself in the proverbial head, right then, and not a priest in the world could give me proper last rights.

20 minutes LATER, after the wrong address was found to be entered for the destination (whoda thunk?), and I used my backup GPS to get them to their next party, I FINALLY dropped the child-beasts off.

My Uber-liscious fare was all of 16 bucks, for over an hour of my final, independent-contractor time.

Well, I guess my child-beasts scored me around a 1, based on the drop I saw the next morning.

Uber.

The joke is on us.

The drivers.
Go to pin. Do not call. Do not text. Wait 5 minutes. Cancel. Collect $.

#3 ·
u dont get banged on the cancels % ?

Reactions: tohunt4me
#4 ·
View attachment 12570

Damn.

He says NO.

Way.

I accepted it.

Uber.

The joke is on us.

The drivers.
You should write for a website. This story kept me captivated from start to finish!

It's still the utmost bull and I apologize on behalf of my college brethren.

Guess it's the risks we take!

Uber on!

#5 ·
Yeah, seriously man. You are texting every few minutes on your way there? Then calling and calling? If you hadn't wanted to hold everyone's hands through out the process you'd have waited 5 mins at that first gate, cancelled as no show, got $5 and been on your way.

I understand your frustration, believe me. But you did this to yourself. You could've (should've) also cancelled when you found out the requester was not one of the pax. That's against Uber policies.

#7 ·
your replies got me researching.

WOW.

Look at what I found about insurance coverages.

IN NO EVENT SHALL UBER'S TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES AND CAUSES OF ACTION EXCEED FIVE HUNDRED U.S. DOLLARS (US $500).

All caps print, to ENSURE most people never read it, until their insurance needs to step up.

Wow.

#14 ·
don't want to say it. But you were asking for it.

You deserve a 1 for this. You had so many times to cancel this ride but you didn't.
Sadly, your reasoning is spot on.
I think having kids myself makes me more apt to tolerate this bull-shizzle, but, moving forward, not so much.
I own that freakin' ride, and the results.
I understand now why the charlotte university area gets surged alot.
I imagine most experienced drivers stay away.

#12 ·
All you lost is an hour for your inexperience in your new Screwber endeavor.

YOU GOT OFF DAMN LUCKY!!!

Trouble comes in many ways, use some common sense, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a friggin duck don't think it's a pretty bunny.

You're in a seedy neighborhood, guy tells you to pick him up in the alley...do you go to the alley? NO. Do you tell him to come to the front? No. You look for a good way to exit with out signals, traffic you tell him you will see him out back...AND you take off and CANCEL. BE SMART, Screwbers fares not worth any risk of any kind.

#15 ·
I have recently started sending a text when I arrive it says "your Uber driver has arrived" I got sick of people saying they never got a notice or just straight out cancelling at 5 minutes which I was doing a lot. Since I started texting I haven't had a single cancel and I think I waited over 2 minutes once in the last few days.

#18 ·
I have recently started sending a text when I arrive it says "your Uber driver has arrived" I got sick of people saying they never got a notice...
same here

Reactions: Envisionit
#17 ·
your replies got me researching.

WOW. Look at what I found about insurance coverages.
IN NO EVENT SHALL UBER'S TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES AND CAUSES OF ACTION EXCEED FIVE HUNDRED U.S. DOLLARS (US $500).
Ya think maybe you should have read that BEFORE you started driving Uber?

Understand what it says: "...UBER'S TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU..."
That means that while Uber's insurance covers your LIABILITY
(ie: damage done to others or their property by you while driving Uber)
under no circimstances is Uber's coverage extended to YOU for collision coverage
(ie: damage you do to your car or yourself).

#19 ·
I sent text when I first got the ping, when I arrived, and if I was feeling generous - which only happened if it was a surge ping - after 3 minutes of waiting. After that cancel and move on.
I've also now learned to steer completely clear of the 'low-level' college areas.

Here in Cleveland, John Carroll University and Case Western University are 5 miles (and two worlds) apart.
I will never again pick-up at John Carroll -
it is home to idiots who are looking to do nothing more than repeat their senior year of high-school for another 4 years.

Case Western students (one of the top colleges in the country - $50,000+/yr tuition)
is home to some of the greatest, most polite, smart kids I've ever met. I actually look forward to picking them up.

#20 ·
I've also now learned to steer completely clear of the 'low-level' college areas.

Here in Cleveland, John Carroll University and Case Western University are 5 miles (and two worlds) apart.
I will never again pick-up at John Carroll -
it is home to idiots who are looking to do nothing more than repeat their senior year of high-school for another 4 years.

Case Western students (one of the top colleges in the country - $50,000+/yr tuition)
is home to some of the greatest, most polite, smart kids I've ever met. I actually look forward to picking them up.
We have the opposite here, UM is the one to steer clear here while FIU the students are really polite. UM is filled with entitled spoiled kids from Rich families that party all week long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.