Uber offline

daveph10

I'm an Uber driver in Perth WA. Did anyone else in Perth (or anywhere else) Have problems yesterday (Saturday 27th. April) with Uber being offline for large parts of the day. Even when the system came back online it would go off again as I collected my PAX> Didn't register trip. Don't think I'll get paid. Gave up after two trips.

daveph10

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Surely it wasn't just me!!?? I know I can be paranoid at the best of times, but this is taking victimisation just a bit too far, don't you think??

Immoralized

Try reinstalling the app. Might be corruption on ur phone. If that fails get a new phone or a cheap 2nd hand phone that at least Samsung 7 or newer as Uber kill phones. Number 1 sign that that the phone about to die is when applications like Uber starts to fail on you.

Last edited:

Vegeta09

Try reinstalling the app. Might be corruption on ur phone. If that fails get a new phone or a cheap 2nd hand phone that at least Samsung 7 or newer as Uber kill phones. Number 1 sign that that the phone about to die is when applications like Uber starts to fail on you.
Phones these days are only built to last 2 years, phone manufacturers are not stupid, they know people love to fork out $1000's just to show off, and say 'look at me, I have the newest and best phone'.

Phones are lucky to last 1 year, if the owner of the phone is an uber driver. It's just another expense that pushes our income down even further.

Immoralized

Phones these days are only built to last 2 years, phone manufacturers are not stupid, they know people love to fork out $1000's just to show off, and say 'look at me, I have the newest and best phone'.

Phones are lucky to last 1 year, if the owner of the phone is an uber driver. It's just another expense that pushes our income down even further.
Samsung flagship phones got slightly better component over Iphone garbage. Even a second hand unit should easily last 12-18 months a new unit top end like a note will easily last 30-40 months of heavy use. Rideshare app just absolutely does a number on phones and wear them out quick.

Vegeta09

Samsung flagship phones got slightly better component over Iphone garbage. Even a second hand unit should easily last 12-18 months a new unit top end like a note will easily last 30-40 months of heavy use. Rideshare app just absolutely does a number on phones and wear them out quick.
Is it just uber that destroys phones, or do ola, taxify and didi do the same?

Immoralized

Is it just uber that destroys phones, or do ola, taxify and didi do the same?
All do it just because it a constant heavy resource using app that not really designed for mobile phones. But if you got a professional grade phone like Samsung Note with plenty of hardware components designed to be used heavily under load for all day use. Then it easily last 3 plus years 24/7 usage. Compared to going through a cheapo phone yearly.

I learnt that the hard way as it completely destroyed my S5 within a year. Uber probably the most resource heavy app compared to all the rest as it doing a lot of things it shouldn't be doing in the background of course. Dodgy uber as expected :redface:

Vegeta09

All do it just because it a constant heavy resource using app that not really designed for mobile phones. But if you got a professional grade phone like Samsung Note with plenty of hardware components designed to be used heavily under load for all day use. Then it easily last 3 plus years 24/7 usage. Compared to going through a cheapo phone yearly.

I learnt that the hard way as it completely destroyed my S5 within a year. Uber probably the most resource heavy app compared to all the rest as it doing a lot of things it shouldn't be doing in the background of course. Dodgy uber as expected :redface:
I wish we had proper dispatch systems, similar to what taxis use, that way we wouldn't have to worry about wrecking and depreciating our phones.

I learnt the hard way with lease to own, with a HTC One a few years back, by the time my lease was up and I owned the phone outright, it was stuffed and barely worth what I paid for it, and this was before uber was even a thing!